It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• low ferritin levels

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
    jmichaelis
    (female)

jmichaelis HB User
    low ferritin levels

my iron levels are ok 12,but my ferritin is at a 5.should i be taking a ferritin tablet instead of iron.aren't these to seperate things? what happens when the ferritin reaches a 1 or a 0? i did rec'v infusions a yr & a half ago but my iron then was also low,but not this time.seems like low ferritin can cause the same symptoms as being anemic.i've had the gastric bypass so taking iron pills just does not work for me now.i've been to the health stores but no one seems to have ferritin tablets.they keep referring me to iron tablets.any other suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: low ferritin levels

Ferritin is a protein that stores iron. You cannot "take" ferritin. It is an indicator of your iron stores. Too much ferritin means you have too much iron, too little ferritin protein then there is too little iron.

Since you had gastric bypass you probably cannot absorb iron anymore. No amount of iron supplementation that you swallow is going to fix that. You need to talk with a doctor that specializes in gastric bypass surgery and the resulting anemia. Most likely you will need to have iron infusions to keep your iron up.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
    jmichaelis
    (female)

jmichaelis HB User
    Re: low ferritin levels

Thank You For The Info.i Am Having A Hard Time Finding A Dr That Will Listen And Who Is Familiar With Gastric Bypass.this Indo Dr I Am Seeing Now Just Told Be To Eat More Broccoli! I Went Over Her Head And Found My Old Dr Who Will Now Start My Infusions Since I Am Down To A 4.this Indo Dr Is The Same Dr That Told Me To Double My Spironolactone Even After I Told Her I Was Having Side Affects! I Really Gotta Find Someone Else Quick.i Even Asked The Dr To Call My Old Endo Months Ago And She Still Won't! So Much For Patient Care.

Closed Thread