It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemia and easy bruising

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
    CD111
    (female)

CD111 HB User
    Anemia and easy bruising

For years I have noticed that I would bruise really easy. I have mentioned it to doctors and they all just blew it off. I have done some research and realized that a bodies ability to bruise easy is a sign of anemia. Have any of you experienced the same thing and if you have. Did you begin to bruise with less ease as your iron stores increased? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Anemia and easy bruising

I have wondered about the bruising and it's relation to anemia/low iron. As my iron had been getting lower and lower over a number of years it is difficult for me to comment whether any bruising i have received has taken longer to heal or that i have bruised far more easily due to the iron situation. I have noticed for quite a long time that even a basic knock will result in a decent sized bruise and on average takes at least one week to start healing and longer for it to completely heal.

Over a week ago i noticed a small bruise on my upper arm and not really in a spot that is easy to knock, but the bruise got darker as the days went on. It's just over a week now and it is a funny yellow colour and finally in the healing process.

I usually knock my knee or thigh against the corner of a table or equipment at work and a lady who has had a kidney transplant commented that she never realised that she had a problem with her kidneys but one of the signs apprently is bruising far too easily and taking a long time to heal. I'm not sure what too "long" is, whether it's a week, 2 or 3 weeks. We didnt discuss it further so not really sure whether bruising can relate to kidneys and/or low iron or perhaps this lady had low iron and the kidney problem.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
    CD111
    (female)

CD111 HB User
    Re: Anemia and easy bruising

Interestingly enough, I did some field work a few days ago and only received a few small bruises from bush wacking through sage brush. Usually me legs are covered, but now I got one from a good sage brush poke that broke the skin. I am beginning to think with all the iron I have been taking this bruising issue is resolving its self. Yay

Closed Thread