It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Just the opposite, high iron and ferritin, what does it mean ???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
    lisad0h
    (female)

lisad0h HB User
    Just the opposite, high iron and ferritin, what does it mean ???

I normally post on the thyroid board, my DH has thyroid issues. Graves disease. That is being treated and seeming to be going in the right direction. He is still very tired and his bones/joints ache. His last set of blood work, they checked his iron, ferritin, CBC, and differential. CBC and Differentials are all in normal range. His iron is high 182, range of 50-175 and his ferritin is very high 557, range of 10-322.
    Any idea what this may mean ????? Thank you so much...Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
    laura3377
    (female)

laura3377 HB User
    Re: Just the opposite, high iron and ferritin, what does it mean ???

You need to research Hemachromatosis. Did his Dr. say anything about these high results? It can be dangerous to have Ferritin levels that high so I would definitely ask the Dr. about further testing.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
    CD111
    (female)

CD111 HB User

Wow, that is such a high ferritin level. I am surprised the doc didn't say anything about it. Could it be a typo?

Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
    Tranquillity
    (male)

Tranquillity HB User

Definately sounds like hemochromatosis, make sure it gets checked out! Ferritin levels can reach 1000+ (or even more) ug/L so it's probably not a typo.

Treatment for hemochromatosis is pretty simple: bloodletting (aka phlebotomy).

Last edited by Tranquillity; 11-14-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

My DH has Hereditary Hemochromatosis and his Ferritin levels reached 2,589. Tranquillity is right about bloodletting for the treatment.

Your husband might need further testing such as DNA Mutation Analysis for the HH gene to DX HH. Both of my children are carriers because my DH has the double gene.

My DH sees a GI doctor that scanned all organs with CAT scan to check for any damage. All is fine with the exception of an enlarged spleen that will go down when his body is deironed. This was found due to elevated liver enzymes, at first they told him that he had Hep-C, but that doctor didn't know how to read his test results. That's when all the testing began with a new doc. My DH goes to the blood bank every Sunday and gives a pint. The blood can't be used at this point, later on they can use it. You have to do this the rest of your life if you have HH. If you have children then they also need testing and other family members on your husbands side. Good luck to you both. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 11-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
    lisad0h
    (female)

lisad0h HB User

Thank you all so much for your reply. After seeing the results, I googled and came up with the hemochromatosis. The endocrinologist doesn't deal with iron, so he said to talk with the family doctor. That dr thinks we should give it 6-12 weeks and retest his levels. He has not had any iron tests or cbc testing in the last 4 years, so nothing to compare this too. He is thinking possibly thyroid related. I'm not so sure we should wait. DH was an average 36 year old guy, no medical problems at all up until 18 months ago and this thyroid went crazy. Its been one thing after another since. Very frustrating! Thanks again...Lisa

Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

We also waited and did a repeat blood test in the beginning. It probably won't hurt to wait for the test as the doc recommended. Good luck. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread