It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• I need some support really freaked out about anemia diagonsis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
    Fairyjill
    (female)

Fairyjill HB User
    I need some support really freaked out about anemia diagonsis

I posted before about my low levels and the iv iron scare and all that. I have now been taking a multivitamin and iron supplement and cut out caffine for a little over a week and I feel awful. I am so scared about this I feel like I have been handed a death sentence. I already suffer from anxiety disorder and now it is thru the roof. All I can think about is being anemic. The only thing that really brought me to the doctor was the ice chewing and now since they told me I feel like I have been hit by a bus. All sorts of awful symptoms. I also read that being anemic can make periods heavier but if that is the reason for my iron issue how will it ever get better. I am so scared. I was in the process of trying to become pregnant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: I need some support really freaked out about anemia diagonsis

Fairyjill--A week is nothing in the recovery of anemia, it takes time to feel better. After my diagnosis, I got really ill but it was from the iron supplements. And the symptoms can get worse before better. I am still fighting symptoms a year later. My doctors told me you have to be patient. I don't know what that means, so it is very hard for me but I have learned a little.

I went to the doctor because I was consumed with eating ice. So, I was glad I had a DX before It was too late and I would have had a blood transfusion.

I think that the reason your anxiety is so bad is because it only gets WORSE with anemia. So that is almost to be expected for some people. I had to take script meds for 6 months due to this. It takes a long time but it does get better. One day you can go on to get pregnant too but first you have to get well.

Although you have heavy periods you can still do things to keep your Hgb up. Remember, iron intake on those days is very important. I found through blood testing that I was actually able to raise my Hgb by 1/10 of a point. I was hemorrhaging with periods. My point is that I didn't go down and that is Hugh. I doubled my iron on days prior (1 week), and during my period and it worked. I also started eating meat 3X weekly which I had never done before. All this helps tremendously. Try not to let the anxiety take over you need your energy to heal. I hope that you start feeling better soon. Be well. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 12-12-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
    Fairyjill
    (female)

Fairyjill HB User

Thank you. It just seems I didn't feel this bad until I knew what was wrnog and then it got worse

Old 12-12-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Fairyjill--I think your feelings are totally normal.

I am an anxious person anyway, but when I found out I was anemic, I FREAKED out. It was terrible. Quite honestly, I did not breathe a sigh of relief until I first saw the anemia improve. Still, I was nervous. I felt a lot better when I started to see my ferritin levels increase. But this all took time, so every day, I thought in the back of my mind "What is wrong with me, why am I anemic?" I had lots of tests too that ruled out cancer and such, but I was still a wreck over it and it would really get me down.

Believe me, once you get your first test result with some improvement you will feel TONS better.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Hi there FairyJill - I love your username by the way (my 6 and 4 yr. old are obsessed with fairies).

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. It is scary - especially when you already have anxiety. It will take a couple of months if not more to get you out of the "anemia." Even when you are not anemic anymore (your blood work is normal), your ferritin might remain low for a long time (it takes a while to get the iron storage up).

I also have anxiety and sometimes panic attacks. Anything health related always makes me anxious. You will be okay. It really sounds like your heavy periods are the cause of your anemia (this is my cause too). I also try to double up on iron on my heavy days of bleeding.

Remember, anemia is very common in women of child-bearing age.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:57 PM   #6
    erfan
    (male)

erfan HB User

I just got dx'ed with Anemia of Chronic Disease...tired all the time, joint pains, elevated sed rate and C-RP, plenty of arthritis, chills that make me wear 3 shirts and 2 jackets...in South Florida! Last Friday after a very bad day, discovered the Lupus mask on my face in the mirror.

But worrying about anemia is not going to solve anything. I'm more concerned about who will replace Miguel Cabrera for the Marlins.

I'm not saying to trivialize it, but it is not really a death sentence for most people.

It is more an inconvienence and even if it is confirmed that I hae Lupus, I'm not going to let that stop me.

Think positively!

Alan

Old 12-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
    Fairyjill
    (female)

Fairyjill HB User

Thank you all so much it is so good to have some support. I have felt a lot of shortness of breath the past few days and I know it is anxiety but I am thinking oh gosh the anemia is getting worse I can't breath now. I guess I just have to realize it is what it is there is there is nothing I can do about it but take my supplements. It doesn't help that I have had tons of health issues since I turned 30 I have always had health anxiety, but never anything wrong then when I turned 30 I need my gallbladder remover, an ovarian cyst and endomitriousis surgery now this. It is just one thing after another. I have been married for 4 and 1/2 years and would just like to start my family once and for all.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #8
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I understand how you feel. I had my second child when I turned 31 and 6 months later, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. It was several years of treatment following the surgery. Once that seemed to get better, I got hit with an intestinal parasite that kept me out of work for 2 1/2 months and I lost 25 pounds. The doctors kept telling me I had IBS. When the parasite issue was resolved, I was left with GERD.

After that all settled down (which took years), I had two surgeries for breast lumps--benign, thank god, but still incredibly scary. I finally got past that and was hit with the anemia.

I am now 43 and have been plagued with health issues about 12 years now. It's weird because I was extremely healthy prior to that.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
    Fairyjill
    (female)

Fairyjill HB User

WOW I am so sorry for all you have been through. It is just not fair that people have to suffer all of these things. Anxiety makes it so much worse too. I am so glad to have found this message board.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well, I hope we can all help each other out. My only "complaint" about the board (if you can call it that) is that sometimes it's not busy enough. Guess there's not TONS of people with iron deficiency.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #11
    elefantgirl13
    (female)

elefantgirl13 HB User

Anemia is a lack of red blood cells, not iron. All the medical books for school say the same thing. I am sorry to come across brash, but there are so many people i talk to that are under the same impression. All anemia is: your red blood cells are lower in count than they should be. Aplastic anemia is the death of red blood cells, depending on the severity, it is classified as 1,2, or 3 stage. If you are low on iron, you should be able to run a penny across your skin, and have a graying effect on the skin. The marrow in your bones creates your blood, and if it is red blood cells that are low, your red marrow is not producing enough. If the white is low, there are many diseases this affects, and it is due to the white marrow not or over producing. The white cells attack anything in the system that is foreign to it. So if you were to have too many red cells, the white cells will attack it, in turn causing aplastic anemia. I hope this helps. I am so very sorry to hear of the problems you are dealing with, but you have the right attitude, stay positive, and it will get better. My problems are not like yours, I only have IBS, osteoporosis, and arthritis, and am only 29. Please accept my apologies for anything I may have said that is offensive.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #12
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elefantgirl13 View Post
    Anemia is a lack of red blood cells, not iron.

Yes, but in iron deficiency anemia, the lack of red blood cells is caused by the lack of iron.

Closed Thread