It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• marinade liver in milk?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User
    Question marinade liver in milk?

I'm looking at liver recipes and a lot of them say to marinade in milk to make the taste not so intense. Is this going to make the iron in it less available?

Oh, and any body got good recipes for organ meat? I bought beef heart but don't really have a good recipe for it.

Thanks!
    aj

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: marinade liver in milk?

It's very unfortunate that organ meats contain the most iron. I have in the past bought chicken livers and lightly fried them with onions with a dash of olive oil and then cooked them slowly with some white wine. I got this idea when i visited a Spanish restaurant and they had this absolutely fantastic dish with stuffed chicken livers. You would never have known it was chicken liver!!

As a child my parents would once in a while fry liver with onion for lunch, but can't recall whether it was pork or beef liver, but most likely pork. It wasn't too bad, but not a favourite of mine. Being raised on a farm i think i have tried just about every animal part that was edible. Sometimes certain organ meats can be difficult to get as meat inspectors are very cautious of animals carrying diseases such as worms which could be harmful to humans. Anything from a butchery should be fine.

I have purchased chicken liver pate from my local supermarket and use it quite regularly on toast with slices of tomato on top and then just add a dash of salt and cracked pepper. Now that is very nice and the pack said it contained 57% liver and no artificial colours/preservatives. I was at one stage eating that most mornings for breakfast in an attempt to boost my iron.

Are you aware that fresh beetroot grated into a salad or juiced is fantastic for the blood and very beneficial for people with low iron problems.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
    Are you aware that fresh beetroot grated into a salad or juiced is fantastic for the blood and very beneficial for people with low iron problems.
    Is beetroot the same as beets? (Sugar beets?)

I tried simmering (beef) liver in tomato sauce -- it came out ok, imo. The rest of the family didn't think so though.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:15 AM   #4
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I'm not sure what sugar beets are. Maybe sugar beets are what we call beetroot in Australia, but maybe not. Do a search on the net for beetroot pics.

Beetroot when peeled/cut when it's raw is very purply red inside and can stain your hands. You can buy it in the supermarket tinned or buy it in the fruit/veg store fresh.

When dealing with low iron, fresh beetroot is the only way to go. Either shred it into a salad or juice it with other fruit/veg. I juice beetroot, apple, carrot, bit of ginger and some orange. It tastes amazing. Beetroot is a great blood purifier and is an anemics best friend.

Yes, i'm sure liver wouldn't be your families number one choice at the dinner table I think out of all the livers that chicken liver is the tastiest. If you can make the beetroot juice you can stop with the liver/offal.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User
    Food recs (was Re: marinade liver in milk?)

Looked it up -- yup, beetroots are beets / sugar beets. That's great to know! I like beets, must buy some. Thanks!!!

I haven't found any pate, but I found tinned smoked oysters, whish has a lot of iron too. No idea how it will taste ...

Old 01-09-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
    lindsalou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lindsalou HB User
    Re: Food recs (was Re: marinade liver in milk?)

there are some recipes on the net for making your own pate using livers (chicken,pork etc).
    Its very easy to make and will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. Do a search on pate recipes and you will get loads of info. I love it on toast or crackers (yum).

Old 01-10-2008, 12:47 AM   #7
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: Food recs (was Re: marinade liver in milk?)

I have thought of making my own pate, but thought it might be difficult. I must look up a recipe then as i love the stuff, especially with a slice of tomato and cracked pepper and salt.

Regarding beetroot - don't buy the tinned stuff as that has no value in it as it has sat in vinegar in the tin for who knows how long and that kills off the things you need. Buy it fresh instead. You can actually boil your own fresh beetroot and add some olive oil and vinegar if you wish for a salad as you will be eating it right away.

Closed Thread