It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• 6 month Hematology follow up! ~UPDATE~

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Cool 6 month Hematology follow up! ~UPDATE~

Okay--I still fought with myself all morning should I take Xanax or not. I just wanted to be in control (Yes, I am a bit of a control freak!). I checked my BP throughout the morning and it kept rising. I then had no choice but to take the Xanax but by now it wouldn't work in time. I went to the blood lab and the lady announced to everyone in the lab how good I looked compared to the last time she had seen me. That was nice but I started into the panic. They called me back took my (stat) blood and I was out of there. When I got to the doctor's office they were behind and didn't have auth for my visit because of my PCP, surprise, surprise. Anyway, it was a blessing for me because it gave the drug time to work and when they took my BP it was only 135 over something, I can deal with that. I was just glad it wasn't 150-165 because that's how high I can get. Now I know the answer is take the meds and get on with it. My doctor said, it's because I was sick so long and they really didn't know why and it causes me panic now, take the meds.
    The doctor came in shook my hand and said he will see me in the mall. My Hgb was 13.7 the last time it was 13.6 a couple months ago at the Endo. I am thinking that must be my normal count. Tomorrow I call in and get my Ferritin results. He said it doesn't matter what the ferritin is that if it is not under 10 or up to 1000 it's fine. He said all I need to know is that if I ever eat ice again that he needs to see me. I am just so amazed he said this over and over (until he gets crazy with me) because I keep questioning him. He stated that the ferritin doesn't matter as long as you have enough and not too much 10-1000. Now I am more confused than ever. He's keeping me on iron 1X 150mgs of iron daily until I reach menopause. If I start to have heavy periods again to reevaluate. Every doctor has such a different opinion about ferritin I just don't know what to believe. I wonder if I should seek new opinions but I dont want to ANY doctors anymore unless necessary.
    What do you think about his Ferritin theory? Tomorrow I will post my F results and we'll see how happy I am then, but for now I am happy with my Hgb being stable. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 01-15-2008 at 12:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: 6 month Hematology follow up! ~UPDATE~

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    What do you think about his Ferritin theory? Tomorrow I will post my F results and we'll see how happy I am then, but for now I am happy with my Hgb being stable. FLFLOWERGIRL

First off, CONGRATS on keeping the hemaglobin up.

As to his theory, I don't know. I think there is a TON of controversy out there about ferritin (and not much care). Whenever I see a HUGE range of values for a certain component, it then indicates to me that there are various levels of "normal". Think about Hemoglobin, hematocrit, TSH, etc. and how narrow their ranges are for normal values. That tells me that that a particular substance needs a lot of control. But then look at something like platelets or ferritin. A very, very wide range which tells me that humans can function well at many different levels.

So, in a sense, I can see where your doctor is coming from. Any ferritin value over the amount of 10 indicates that there *is* in fact stored iron. So, the body has some to rely on when it needs it. I think current science believes that this is fine.

On the other side, we have a brigade of other doctors who think everyone should be at 70. But I have done TONS of internet research (that's all I can do) and there is not reputable study that says that this is the optimal level. Someone is making an assumption (and they may be right or not).

I know many people say they don't feel better until they are at 70 or their hair doesn't grow till 40. But many more people are still losing hair at healthy levels. So, I think it's all very controversial and you will probably get a different opinion from every doctor you try out.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
    lindsalou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lindsalou HB User

Well done for getting through your appointment. Although i disagree with what he told you about the ferritin. I look at at through my own experiance (doesnt mean its right) when the last batch of infusions i had where based solely on my ferritin levels (hb etc where all within the norm at the time), so if it isnt important why would they do infusions? Well the obvious answer is because it will eventually cause IDA.

Christine is quite right though, every doctor has different opinions on it (guess i struck lucky with mine). Although i read somewhere that its has been clinically proven that hair regrowth wont occur until ferritin is over 70 (of which I can bear witness to).

I guess it comes down to the fact that we are all different, what affects one person wont always affect the next. I just wish we could find some 'hard proven facts' on the matter.

If I was you, id wait an see what your ferritin comes back as, then take it from there. Its a very contradictory subject, if your feeling okay and id be very happy with hb levels as yours are.

Once again though, im proud of you for getting through the appointment, it really is traumatic, but hey, you held it together by the sound of things and considering the crap youve had recently id be patting myself on the back.
    Let us know what the ferritin comes back as.

Chin up!
    Linds

Old 01-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Thanks for your replies. I am so glad that it's behind me I'm ready to celebrate!

I think your both correct in saying that we all function at a different level. Maybe it doesn't really matter what the number is as long as you maintain range levels. I know that when my son had his Ferritin tested (I know he is male) his Ferritin was only 50. That doesn't sound too high but it's good for him because he is a HH carrier.

I know what they say about 40-70 for hair but I know the shedding slowed down and I had NEW growth at 20 Ferritin and up. I have new hairs all over my head and I am probably no where near the ranges 40 & 70. So this really does get confusing. I'm beginning to believe that this is assumption as Christine says, not sound evidence. And if your Hgb stays up you will eventually build the iron stores even though it takes a long time. I started feeling better from 20 and up myself. There are also so many other things that can be going on in our bodies that we blame on the ferritin when it may not be the reason at all.

Thanks again for the replies, it's greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm getting a new lease on life after a year. I can't believe it's been that long already. Tomorrow I will post my ferritin results. This is the exciting part.

Keeping me on iron (1X daily), until menopause makes me feel more comfortable in the fact that I will probably never be anemic again. That seems like a lot of iron but I am not a doctor. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
    CD111
    (female)

CD111 HB User

Congratz on the improved results. That's really great. I would personally also want to know my ferritin level, maybe you can give them a call later to see what it is or have them mail you a copy of the lab, just so you can have it. Personally, I like to my progress in numerical numbers. I would also be comforted by the fact that he kept you on one pill a day. Congratulations again.

Closed Thread