It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Need some help please with blood results:)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
    Feeb
    (female)

Feeb HB User
    Need some help please with blood results:)

I have been anemic for about 5 years.Have been taking irons pills on and off, then eventually stopped taking the irons pills for a couple of years and decided to get my iron from my diet. Never really took my iron anemia seriously and now I wish I had because I am tired all the time, get these awful migraines..etc. Last year I started on Palafer iron pills which seem to be working great in sense that it did not bother my stomach when I took the pills. My periods are heavy so I thought, ok that is causing it and then I started gettting abdominal.pain, so I had a colonscopy and gastroscopy, everything was fine except I have H.pylori in my stomach. Now I am schedule for a laparascopy and D&C to see what is going with me.
    My doctor is nice, but I keep at her about my anemia and she keeps telling to continue with the Palafer iron pills. My grandmother had Pernicous Anemia, and I mentioned this to my doctor. She did not seemed concerned about that, so I was not either. Blood work was done and I got my test results yesterday, the doctor said my billirubin was elevated and asked if I have a family member with Gilberts syndrome. But I noticed some other things in my blood results but she didnt not seemed concerned. Got a copy of the results and have been trying to make sense of it. My B12 seems low to me but she said it was within in the low normal range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the results:

Billirubin unconjugated(indirect) 27
    Vitamin B12 189
    Ferritin 16
    Hemoglobin 136
    hematocrit 0.40
    RBC 4.2
    WBC 4.2
    MCV 95
    MCH 32
    MCHC 339

Last edited by Feeb; 01-18-2008 at 06:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Need some help please with blood results:)

I can't comment on the bilirubin as I know nothing about it.

Your B-12 is extremely low. I don't know what your lab range has down as a normal range but it does not matter. From everything I have read, optimal values of B-12 are around 600 and higher. Your ferritin is low and needs to come up but you are not depleted. Good news is that you are not anemic as your hemoglobin is normal as are your RBCs and MCV. The MCV is much lower in a person with iron deficiency anemia and your size is good. However, I do believe that a deficiency of B-12 can cause the MCV (size of the cells) to enlarge so that could be skewing that number.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feeb View Post
    Here are the results:

Billirubin unconjugated(indirect) 27
    Vitamin B12 189
    Ferritin 16
    Hemoglobin 136
    hematocrit 0.40
    RBC 4.2
    WBC 4.2
    MCV 95
    MCH 32
    MCHC 339

Old 01-19-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
    Feeb
    (female)

Feeb HB User

Thank you so much for your reply and your helpful information. I will phone my doctor and really question the B12 being low. Even thought she was not concerned, I find sometimes doctors take things too lightly.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

In your case she did take it lightly--because from what I've learned it should be at least 400 not to have symptoms and your number is just way too low. For example my B-12 was 835 when DX'ed with anemia, now it is around 900 due to additional multivitamin that I didn't take before. Anyway most docs want it to be at the higher range not lower.

You can also go to the Healthfoods store and purchase B-12 Meythl--cobalamin in liquid drops. Make sure that it is Meythl and NOT Cyano--cobalamin for best absorbtion. You can also get B-12 injections if doc approves. They say that drops are just as effective. There is a certain amount that you have to take to equal the shot and I don't know exactly what that is, maybe someone else can help you on that one.

If you are low in B-12 then there are also some tests that you may need to have for absorption issues, IF in the stomach. autoimmune disease and PA. You need to know why the B-12 is low, not just live with it. This can also lead to anemia and OR low ferritin which you already have. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-19-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
    Feeb
    (female)

Feeb HB User

Thank you FLflowergirl for your post and the B12 information,I really appreciate it. This forum is wonderful and very helpful. I was shocked when the doctor took it lightly, basically speechless to tell you the truth. That is why I asked for a copy of the blood work results. After reading your post I went to the health food store and purchased B12 methylcobalmin quick dissolve sublingual 1000mcg. They did not have the liquid but I figured something is better than nothing.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Glad we could help--That is still the same kind of B-12 and I think it is also a good one. I think that I read before that you have to take 3 to equal the shot. I really don't remember for sure, you would have to consult a doc or someone that knows. But it won't hurt to get started. It will probably take a few weeks but you should start to feel better. That will help your blood and take a good multivitamin. Be Well! FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 01-19-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Closed Thread