It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Is this maybe iron deficiency anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
    hfm123
    (female)

hfm123 HB User
    Is this maybe iron deficiency anemia?

I had a CBC run before a minor surgery and some of the results were low.
    I have been feeling abnormally fatigued and this maybe explains why. I am also hypothyroid and could probably use a medication increase so that may be why I am tired also.

Here are my labs:

12/28/07

WBC 4.1 (4.5-10.8)
    RBC 3.77 (4.0-5.4)
    Hemoglobin 11.8 (12.0-16.0)
    Hematocrit 34.5 (37.0-47.0)
    MCV 91.7 (83-97) only including this because it seemed relevant to diagnosis of anemia

I had a ferritin level done 7/06 and the level was 34 (10-291)

I realize that the levels aren't too low, but could this be iron deficiency anemia?

Thanks

Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Is this maybe iron deficiency anemia?

It is anemia but it isn't strongly pointing to iron deficiency. Your red blood cells are actually quite a good size. Your ferritin could be better but probably not low enough to cause your anemia, especially considering the good size of your RBCs. I'd probably be looking at your B-12 levels at this point.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Your numbers MCV look like my friends that has a B-12 deficiency (PA), and iron at the same time. Have your B-12 and Folate checked. This may be due to a malabsorption issue. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
    hfm123
    (female)

hfm123 HB User

Thanks for your replies.

I have an appointment with my doctor on Thursday and was looking through old blood tests. I had a B-12 level done in January 2005 while I was taking
    B-12 supplements, I was newly pregnant at the time. The level came back high B-12 907 (200-900). Would this mean that I am able to absorb B-12? If it does, can that change so that perhaps I don't absorb B-12 now? It is likely that I am just not getting enough B-12 in my diet? I have not been taking any vitamins at all for awhile.

Thanks,

Heather

Old 01-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

If you had your B-12 checked at the same time as (taking) supplements this can skew the test results. With a number that high I would think that you were already at a good number before supplements. I raised mine from 800-900 by adding a vitamin. The only way to know a true count would be to stop the supplements for a couple of weeks before.

Therefore, it does appear that you are absorbing B-12. Yes, I would think that anything can change. However, it takes years to deplete the body of B-12. You should get enough B-12 through diet. B-12 is in a lot of the same foods as iron. I was not taking vitamins when diagnosed with anemia and my B-12 was 835. Did you have your Folate checked? FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
    hfm123
    (female)

hfm123 HB User

Hi FLFLOWERGIRL-- Thanks for answering my questions. The only record I have of a folate level is from 11/24/04 and it was normal at >24. I'll add that to my list of tests that I'd like the doctor to order.

What blood tests should my doctor order? I assume B12 and folate, iron and ferritin, and a repeat CBC with the smear. Are there others that I should ask her to include?

Thanks,

Heather

Old 01-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The CBC is enough to DX anemia. B-12 and Folate are separate tests used to check B's. Ferritin, Serum is separate for iron stores and finally Iron Package=Serum iron, UIBC,TIBC and % Saturation. My Hematologist ran a retic count in addition to the other tests. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
    hfm123
    (female)

hfm123 HB User

Thanks for all of your information!

Heather

Old 01-26-2008, 07:01 AM   #9
    hfm123
    (female)

hfm123 HB User

I have started taking iron supplements and my fatigue has already diminished a bit, I think. But my heart rate has gone up a lot and is leaving me feeling really terrible. I have not slept very well the last couple of nights.

Is this related to the iron supplements? Any suggestions as to how to calm my heart down?

Thanks,

Heather

Old 01-26-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heather--I had this ongoing problem too. It did stop when the anemia was resolved, but the doctor wanted to give me Toperol to lower the high pulse. This is meant to be short term not forever. I tend to run a high pulse anyway so it was on the higher end. I tried Toperol for 30 days and it killed my stomach so I quit. When I ate a meal it would start an episode, if you notice that happening you can try smaller meals. You just have to get the iron up ASAP to control it. Add as much iron rich foods to your diet as possible. I never put anything into my mouth that wasn't iron rich. I was a fanatic about it. Sorry that your going through this, try to calm down because that makes your pulse stay up. Don't do too much to make your heart work harder at this point. I don't think that it has anything to do with the iron supplements at all. It IS the anemia and lack of oxygen. Relax! Feel better. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 01-26-2008 at 08:38 AM.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
    hfm123
    (female)

hfm123 HB User

Thanks FLFLOWERGIRL. My heart rate has gotten much better and is mostly normal now. I also have hypothyroidism so I was thinking it was my thyroid meds too.

Does the fatigue come and go? I was useless on Saturday (though I didn't sleep well on Friday) and most of Sunday but by Sunday evening I was feeling less fatigued and this morning seems to be pretty good too. I am hoping that this continues.

Thanks for your support and information--

Heather

Old 01-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heather--Glad to hear that your heart rate is better. Like you the first thing I thought of was my thyroid meds so I called and had them change it, but it was the anemia. Now my thyroid needs more meds so I'm doing that this week. Don't feel any different on the increase.

The fatigue does get better a little at a time. It gets less and less as you get well. Sleeping I think is very important and rest throughout the day if necessary. I had to discipline myself to get to bed on a regular schedule but it really works. Hope you are feeling better. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread