It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• How long for Ferritin to drop?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
    abki168
    (female)

abki168 HB User
    How long for Ferritin to drop?

Does anyone know how long it would take my Ferritin level to drop to a 5? I had two surgeries and did bleed for about 5 weeks. I was just wondering if I could have had a problem even before my surgeries. I just thought I was exhausted from working and having 3 little kids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: How long for Ferritin to drop?

I don't know is there really is a definitive way to tell. My Hematologist told me that I didn't notice the anemia at 8.5 Hgb and 2 ferritin because it came on slowly. Mine was due to heavy periods they say. This way it takes years to deplete iron stores and become IDA. So your tolerance of anemia is proportional to the rate of development.

If you had a major blood loss of another form then it would happen much quicker and you would have more profound symptoms because the body doesn't have time to adjust. Symptoms with rapidly developing anemia are much more noticeable.

If your children are young and you had them close in time perhaps you were low in iron from childbirth and never recovered your iron stores. Anemia and/or a low ferritin can be due to more than one reason. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
    abki168
    (female)

abki168 HB User

Thank you FLFLOWERGIRL! You really have so much good advice and info... I have learned so much through your posts in the past week alone! I had heavy periods over the past two years since my youngest was born and probably was a little on the low side. I think the recent surgeries and bleeding afterward for 5 weeks were just enough to push my body into a rapid decline. I am not sure what my Ferritin level was, but the day after my second surgery I was released with a CBC of 7.7 and felt quite miserable. My OBGYN told me to go about my normal life and I'd be fine. I was just wondering how much worse I made things by listening to him and going 3 more weeks with no supplements at all (and still bleeding). On the advice of my hematologist who I finally saw a week and a half ago, I found myself a new Dr. last week. I am just mad at myself for not questioning more. Thanks again!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

abki168--You are very welcome. You felt quite miserable at 7.7 because 7 is when they recommend a blood transfusion.
    You needed to be on a high dose of iron supplements at that time. We all live and learn don't we. This has been the experience of a lifetime for me. I have been unable to work in the last year. It can get really bad.

At one point I was told just to get iron through my diet, I think I would be dead by now. You can't always listen to everything. You have to search, find and follow your intuition.

When I first found this board all I could do was read and that was hard. But it was comforting. Be Well. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
    PBREARD
    (female)

PBREARD HB User
    Smile Re: How long for Ferritin to drop?

Hi!

I can not tell you what the general time would be, but my ferritin starts dropping after about 6 months. I get bloodwork done every 2 months and I have had 10 iv infusions in the past year. With this last bloodwork my hemoglobin stayed about 12, but my ferritin went from 96 to 35 since the last bloodwork 2 months ago. I do not have a real reason why this happens. Because your a woman the period is always a good place to put blame. So now I am ready to go back for an iron refill for the next 5 weeks (once a week). If anyone has a real answer, please let me know. Take care

Phyllis

Old 01-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
    Cy1966
    (female)

Cy1966 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    abki168--You are very welcome. You felt quite miserable at 7.7 because 7 is when they recommend a blood transfusion.
    You needed to be on a high dose of iron supplements at that time.
    My latest results were a 5 and my doctor advised me to take 3 iron tablets a day and be retested in 6 months time.

Closed Thread