It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• ferrous sulphate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
    help wanted :(
    (female)

help wanted :( HB User
    ferrous sulphate

hey everyone...
    havmt had internet for a while so i havnt been able to get any guidance!
    been taking 2x 200mg ferrous sulphate a day for 3 and a half weeks now...
    no improvement yet but i know it will take a long time and im learning to be patient.
    i take one pill in the morning when i get up with a glass of juice, then i wait an hour befroe i eat breakfast.
    i work nights and when i come home im normally hungry and have a snack so im worried that my evening pill wont be gettin aborbed very well...
    how long after eating should i wait to take it? i also take a multi vitamin with the pill in the evening...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: ferrous sulphate

Hello help wanted--That was the hardest thing for me all of my docs said the same thing, it's not going to happen over night. It took years to get to the point that I was at.

One hour before or two hrs after a meal is what worked for me. Food does decrease the absorption 50-60%, so I would not take it with food at all. I also wouldn't recommend taking iron with the multivitamin because of the calcium that's in it. I would take the multi at lunch and the iron in the evening alone 1 hr before a meal or snack. The good thing about ferris sulfate is that it really works well If you can tolerate it! Feel better! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-30-2008, 03:24 AM   #3
    (female)

hey thanks...
    i take the multi vitamin with the iron becasue it contains 417% daily dose of vit c and only 2% calcium so i thought it mite help absorption... do you still thin i should take it seperatly...
    2 hours is a long time to wait amd just isnt possible with my shift patterns! its so hard!
    how long did it take you to see an improvment?
    im thinkging about going up to 3 pills a day but if i did this would i have to take them at 3 different times or could i take say.. 2 in the morning one at night?
    thanks

Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

help wanted(:--2% is not a lot but you want every chance to absorb all that you can. Remember you are only absorbing a small amount of that supplement anyway even when absorption is at best. I would do this separate.

2 hrs is a long time, I would take it before eating if possible. If you are thinking about taking 3X daily I would not take them together, it may cause GI upset. Yes, they need to be spaced out throughout your day for more absorption.

How long to see improvement, that's a loaded question! It took me in the beginning 3 months to get from 8.5 hgb to 12.9 which is no longer anemic. I was so ill at that time due to iron (ferris sulfate) 3X daily that they took me off iron completely. I still had heavy periods so my iron began to fall. Then I was put on iron 1 daily then with food and without and finally I was down to a 10.8 and holding. By this time I was getting scared of the drop and the advice of the Hematologist. At one point I was told to just get iron from diet, right! I went back tracked my numbers and found that the high iron was the answer for me. My doctor told me I was wasting my time with that too. I went back on the 2X 150 getting 300mgs iron daily (as prescribed), and went to normal in a short period of time once again. I also has the endometrial ablation in June. All of this took a year. My ferritin went from 2-35 finally and my Hgb is now 13.8. I continue taking 1X 150 daily that just kills me to do so after all this time. I'm to take it until I reach menopause OMG I don't know if I can do that!

I'm feeling about 90% right now (maybe that's a little high), but my thyroid is acting up. Maybe the higher dose of synthroid is my answer. This is a good example how two different things can be going on at the same time causing similar symptoms. Good luck to you! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-30-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
    (female)

ok maybe ill jsut stay away from the multi vitamin instead... would taking vitamin c pills with the iron be a better idea?

if i try takeing the second pill before eating that wont work eaither becasue it wont be long enough either side of the pill before and after food. id like to start taking 3 a day but i dont think its possible....

ill just stick at it for now...
    thanks for the advice, good luck to you

Old 01-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I think that it's important to take a multivitamin because it helps in the building of blood cells. Vitamin C with iron is recommended. If you want to take 3X daily, you could take one of them with food or closer to a meal and absorb something verses nothing for one out of the three. When I took 2X daily sometimes I might forget and have to take it with food so I did that instead of missing. At times it can be very hard to have a schedule that fits everything in. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-31-2008, 03:50 AM   #7
    (female)

thats a good idea thanks...
    another question...
    ive been getting a rash on my upper arms after i have a shower or bath lately.. do you think this could be anything to do with anemia or the ferrous sulphate. it could be totally unrelated.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
    hopalong_too
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

hopalong_too HB User

Is the rash like little red dots on the back of the upper arm? Just curious as I have this kind of a rash and I have a low/normal ferritin, B12 and a definite low Vitamin D. I have had it for years and also get a rash on the side of my neck after a shower that fades slightly as the day goes by. Hoppy

Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have never heard of skin reactions with iron supplement. Have you changed your laundry detergent or bath soap those are usually the things that can cause rash. If it persists I would see a dermatologist. Usually with anemia/B-12 you may have sores in your mouth or itchy red eyes but not skin irritation that I am familiar with. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
    (female)

it may be nothing to do with it. i have had tiny little red dots on the outer side of the top of my arms for years but never knwon why or worried about them. ive also had sensitive skin around my neck/top of chest for a long time that goes patchy... but this is sort of red cirles on the ops of my arms just after i bath or shower... odd!

on another note... i read lysine was good to take with iron... what do people think about this?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

help wanted--Others have posted here taking lysine with iron and having great success. I'm thinking about trying it myself, although I'm worried that my stomach can't handle it. That's why I didn't do it a long time ago. Even multivitamins bother me so I don't know but it's worth a try. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread