It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• In 2 1/2 months, my ferritin raised 32 points!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
    tooshae
    (female)

tooshae HB User
    Thumbs up In 2 1/2 months, my ferritin raised 32 points!

In mid-November, my ferritin was 29. I immediately started taking iron supps 1-2Xs daily, along with Vitamin C and Lysine to help absorption. I also STOPPED all nsaid/ibuprofin use. I got my results from Wens., and my ferritin is now at 61! I am so stoked!

Ok, now my question.......When can I expect my hair to quit falling out completely and better yet, regrowing? If I continue at this nice rate, I'll be to 100 soon (this is where I want to be/stay...100 at the least).

I know that 70 is thought to be the magic #. Given what I've just shared, when do you think my hair issue will improve?

A sincere TIA!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: In 2 1/2 months, my ferritin raised 32 points!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That is great NEWS! I think that's the best progress that I've heard on this board so far. What type of iron were you on Ferris Sulfate? And...I'm also wondering now if the Lysine didn't help with this a lot as Audrey B says. I haven't tried that yet, maybe I will now. That's just such great progress. I cannot imagine having a number of 61, that's just crazy! Do you feel great too?

As far as hair regrowth, 70 and holding for at least three months is what I've read. I think that 70 was the magic number. Keep up the good work! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-31-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

My ferritin went from 19 to 103 in 3 months with adding the vitamin C and lysine to my daily 325 mg of ferrous sulphate.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Littlebunnyfoo--That's great! Did your Ferritin stay up and how much Lysine were you taking? You guys make me look bad! That does it, I'm getting Lysine. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-31-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
    tooshae
    (female)

tooshae HB User
    Exclamation Re: In 2 1/2 months, my ferritin raised 32 points!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Flowergirl....yes, I'm beyond thrilled with this progress and was even hesitant posting it because I didn't want others to feel bad! I am doing the exact same thing as littlebunny:Taking my 325 Ferrous Sulfate tablet 1-2 times daily (usually just 1) *with* a 500 mg C tablet and 1-2 500 mg lysine tablets. I just got a store brand as well.

PLEASE GOD let my hair regrow! I don't know what I'd ever be depressed about again!

Edited to add.................LittleBunny, did you have any prblems with hairloss? If so, did it stop (and regrow) once your ferritin got up?

Last edited by tooshae; 01-31-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tooshae--By posting your experience we all learn something from each other. Some will have greater success than others, it's just a part of the healing process.

I don't remember how you take the lysine and iron seperate or apart? I am very serious about this now. Thanks! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
    tooshae
    (female)

tooshae HB User
    Re: In 2 1/2 months, my ferritin raised 32 points!

I take the iron *with* the Vitamin C and Lysine. I'm not sure if that's the way you're supposed to or not.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 PM   #8
    CD111
    (female)

CD111 HB User

tooshae, has your hair stopped falling out? Mine has in the last few weeks, I can't say it has begun to regrow, but I also don't know exactly where my ferritin level is at. I should find out tomorrow. Congrats about the ferritin level.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #9
    tooshae
    (female)

tooshae HB User

No it is still falling out...but maybe a little bit less. Perhaps this is a good sign that it's about to stop all together!

Old 02-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #10
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

tooshae - YES!! I have been shedding hair for 3 years - hundreds of hairs per day. My ferritin was 103 in December. I hear that it needs to be that high for about 3 months before shed will decrease and another 3 months after that for regrowth - the kicker is that it stays high and doesn't go back down. I'm going on 1 month now, and my shed is down. I am still shedding but not 300+ like before.

Flowergirl - 500 mg of L-lysine, 500 mg vitamin C and 325 mg of ferrous sulphate all together first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I've done the plain ferrous sulphate and then the lysine/vit. C/iron combo and there is no question that it increases absorption.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks! If I took all of that at the same time my stomach would kill me. I will be trying the Lysine. Good luck with the hair shedding too! I'm back to the normal fall out so I'm not too worried about that anymore however, I would like it to stop. My hair has been shedding for at least 20 yrs. Maybe it's my thyroid? Thanks again. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-02-2008, 02:37 AM   #12
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Wow, tooshae that is fantastic news I LOVE a success story as it gives us all hope

Littlebunnyfoo, that is excellent news for you too and great to hear your hair has decreased it's shedding rate

Yes you can take the Lysine at same time as your iron supplement. I used to have to take them seperate, but the chemist who formulates the iron supplement for my doctor now includes the Lysine within the iron supplement formula. He has also now included biotin and folate in the same mixture. This makes it so much easier as i used to sometimes forget to take my Lysine but now as it's all in the one it stops that from happening

The info notes my doctor gives me (which are also available on the internet on his website if you do a search by his name "Tony Pearce Trichologist") state that high dose amino complex will rebuild hair shaft structure and that amino acids are the building blocks of protein and your hair is afterall 98% protein. He also states that Amino acids allow for greater utilization and transportation of the iron throughout your body.

As for hair correction, my doctor states that your hair is a reflection of internal equilibrium and will begin to positively reflect this 2 - 6 months after the disturbance is corrected.

Well i just had a blood retest today as well as my routine iodine urine test for my thyroid so i should know in a couple of weeks where i'm at. My last test was after my series of iron injections back in July of 2007 where i got to 35 but then felt rubbish after that - likely due to me stopping my iron supplements, thinking the iron injections would do the trick. I should have known it wouldn't be as easy as that!!

I can't wait to get my new results as my hair noticeably stopped it's massive amount of shedding in mid December 2007. I was imagining i must have passed 40 but wasn't thinking i would be up at some amazingly high figure so it will be interesting to see where i'm at considering my better hair situation. I have loads of baby hairs, some fall out, but a lot are still there. At least i'm not seeing a bathtub full of hair after i wash/dry it. I wash my hair every second day and dry it over the bathtub so i can check for hair fall out. I'm happy it's shedding less, but there is still a way to go, but these las few months i've seen the biggest amount of baby hair growth. Aside from that i feel so much better, my eyes feel alive rather than tired and stinging/burning, the dark circles aren't as bad and my mother commented last weekend that this is the best she has seen me looking in quite a long time. She said i actually look healthy and less like a corpse!! She really knows how to impress!! :P

Old 02-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
    christie67
    (female)

christie67 HB User

Congrats, you guys!! That is awesome. My ferritin was a 14 at beginning of January.....and saw hemotologist on Jan. 23 and my ferritin was up to 27. That was after taking 325 mg of ferrous sulfate and 500 mg vitamin C twice a day. I have since started taking it 3 times a day and have added the L-lysine 500 mg with it. I go back to hemotologist on 2/13 for him to check my levels again to see if higher. I'm praying for 70!!!! I have also been eating lots of liver/broccoli or brussel sprouts together and oysters/orange juice. I'd kiss a cow if it will raise my ferritin levels and get my hair back in shape!! Ha ha

Even tho' other doctors have tested my thyroid, I am going to go see an endo just to make sure my thyroid and hormone levels are normal. I am thinning all over, but it seems to be more noticeable at my crown and on top of my head. However, it is thinning all over.....I haven't had a haircut since 10/07 and I used to have to get my hair cut once a month. If my hair will just get back to what it used to be......somewhat thin and baby fine...I will never complain again!!!!!

I am saying prayers for all of us girls who are suffering with hair loss and iron issues......and I am thankful for the information that ya'll have provided on this site. Thanks for sharing your "good news" with us.......it is encouraging!! Blessings.......

Closed Thread