It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• SlowFE, or a different iron supplement?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
    Hair Envy
    (female)

Hair Envy HB User
    SlowFE, or a different iron supplement?

I have been a lurker but am now a poster. Nice that I learn more from online forums than I do from my own doctor!

I have been dealing with hair loss since Jan 07. My ferritin was 22 in Nov 07. My Dermatologist said 22 is "normal", which frustrates me since I know the ideal numbers for hair loss are 40 and 70.

I have been taking 2 SlowFE tablets a day. Is this sufficient? Should I increase it to 3, or take something different (stronger)?

I also understand I need to take Lysine and Vit C for maximum absorption, and that I need to do this on an empty stomach. My other issue would be that I have GERD and take Prevacid first thing in the morning, and I saw other posts about that decreasing the iron absorption .

Thank you for any advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: SlowFE, or a different iron supplement?

Hair Envy--Welcome to the boards! Sorry your dealing with the hair loss and low ferritin too.

Your ferritin in 07' was at the low end of normal. If you have not tested it since that time I would have a CBC and Ferritin test to see where you are now.

If your ferritin is low I would try something different with iron (stronger), if it is up then I would take a multivitamin with iron and go from there. As you know Slow Fe is a low dose iron.

I also have GERD which doesn't go well with iron. When taking iron supplements it is best to take it 1 hr before or 2 hrs after a meal and if taking PPI's, 2 hrs apart from them. Take care. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-02-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Hi Hair Envy I too have learnt more from this board than i have from a lot of the doctors i have seen over the last 7 years, except for my current treating doctor who has confirmed pretty much everything i've learnt from here.

I was losing hair more and more over the 7 year period and my regular gp never questioned my ferretin level and never even connected the ferretin to the hair loss. You are very fortunate that you found out so soon. I was blaming the hair loss on everything from chemicals in shampoo to being over 30 yrs old. Now i'm feeling so much better than before and i have noticed since just before Christmas that i'm not losing quite as much hair as i previously was. I have more stamina, my eyes aren't burning and constantly tired. I still have a way to go, but raising that ferretin has done so much good. Whatever it takes i have my eye on reaching 70 at the very least!!

If you have to take certain other meds first thing in the morning then take your iron mid morning. I sometimes dont take my iron supplements with breakfast and instead take them about 10.30am at work when i'm having my morning tea break. It doesnt matter really, so long as you take them.

ps: NO 22 is not normal and don't let them tell you otherwise. If 22 was normal you would be feeling top of the world and your hair wouldn't be falling out. Our hair is a reflection of our inner health. If it's falling out profusely then something is wrong. Keep going with those iron supplements.

Last edited by Audrey-B; 02-02-2008 at 12:44 AM.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
    Hair Envy
    (female)

Hair Envy HB User

Than you for your help, ladies! I have been off of my iron for the past 5 days because I have to have an endoscopy on Wednesday (for GERD). I have been very anxious being off of the iron, but I bought some L-lysine and Vit C and am ready to go back on when I can!

Closed Thread