It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Surprisingly Anemic

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #1
    Naturespirit67
    (female)

Naturespirit67 HB User
    Surprisingly Anemic

I haven't been to a doctor in years and finally found a medical/holistic doctor. My symptoms are severe pain in my hips, legs, feet, shoulders and hands. In addition to weakness and fatigue, blurred vision and tingling in hands and arms. They will fall alseep for no reason.

Arthritis was negative but he told me that I'm severely anemic and put me on a digestive cleanse to help absorption. The thing is, he didn't take any additional tests to find out the cause of this and he said that my pain is just overuse syndrome. Can anemia cause pain if oxygen isn't getting to bones and joints? The pain feels more like bone than joint pain. Also I was doing the same amount of activity at work and at home for over 6 months before I developed any pain. I used to walk 5 miles at a time and now if I walk a couple of blocks, I can barely walk the rest of the day. My sed rate was also high in the blood tests. Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Surprisingly Anemic

The first thing that a doctor should do is to explore the different reasons that might cause anemia. Hopefully he ran a ferritin, B-12, folate and possibly an iron package. This helps in determining what type of anemia you have.

They want to know if you have heavy periods because this is a common cause. If no, then do a GI work up and other blood tests to check for blood loss, absorption and autoimmune disease. My PCP did not do this either and I knew better so I went to my husband's GI doc. However, he did send me to the GYN to fix that problem. I think that an internal look is always a good measure. When he saw my ferritin at 2 he got me in two days later. I then had to wait 3 weeks to have a colonoscopy/endoscopy to make sure that we didn't miss anything and was put on iron from the beginning.

Anemia can cause many symptoms but they are different for everyone. I had many symptoms very similar to yours and more. It's hard to tell exactly what is causing what. It can be more than one thing. I also had a high sed rate, I have found out that anemia can cause this too. My Rhumey said that it was my thyroid (Hashi's). Have you had your thyroid checked? It causes a lot of problems that are much like anemia. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
    Naturespirit67
    (female)

Naturespirit67 HB User

I dont see ferritin on my blood test. He said my thyroid was fine, but I can't tell on the blood test printout where that test is. My ultra sensitive Crp is also high and from what I've read shows imflamation in the body. The thing is, how can I be anmemic if my Iron is within range but my mcv and mch is low and my RBC is high. He even used the words iron deficiency but after looking at the labs, it is normal. I'm planning on going to a different doctor. I went to him because he is also a holistic practicioner and is open to natural treatments but he doesn't seem interested in getting to the bottom of my problem. He didn't ask me about my period, but I usually have one day that I experience heavy flow and clotting. On that day I usually go through a pad and a tampon every 15 to 20 minutes. I was so sick tonight, I could barely get off the couch. I'm also running a fever again and the pain is through my entire body on a scale of 1-10, at least an 8. It's so hard to find a good doctor

Old 02-02-2008, 04:58 AM   #4
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Naturespirit,

I agree that you need to go to a doctor and get a full workup. Your low MCV and MCH indicate iron deficiency anemia, but the high RBC is definitely confusing. A B12 anemia would cause the MCV to be larger, I believe.

The serum iron test is not a reliable indicator of iron deficiency anemia. Serum iron is the amount of iron circulating in your bloodstream at any given moment in time. It can be affected constantly by what you are eating throughout the day. So, in the morning it might be low, after lunch it might be high. Basically, it really doesn't give you a true picture of your iron status and most doctors familiar with anemias will not use it for diagnostic purposes.

What you need to have done is:

Another CBC (to check those RBCs again)
    Ferritin
    B12
    Folate

These three tests together will determine what type of anemia you are dealing with. And believe it or not, you can have iron deficiency and B12 deficiency at the same time, which will then skew your CBC.

As for the CRP and elevated sed rate. Yep, you definitely have an inflammatory process going on and, personally I think you need a further workup to determine if you have an autoimmune disorder. This is one of things my doc discussed with me. He did a CRP and said if it was elevated, he would do further tests. Mine was not elevated. Autoimmune disorders can cause anemia by destroying red blood cells.

So, I would take your latest lab results and head over to a general practictioner that you have confidence in, or you could go to a hematologist. That might not be a bad idea since there seems to be a lot going on.

By the way, on your lab report, the thyroid blood tests will say "TSH, T4" or something along those lines.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:25 AM   #5
    Naturespirit67
    (female)

Naturespirit67 HB User

Thank you both for the insight. I will find a GP and get in right away. I was also wondering about an autoimminue disorder. My aunt died from Lupus and some of the symptoms I have are the same as when she was first diagnosed with the exception of her having rheumatoid arthritis too. My arthritis test was negative but I was talking to a friend who's arthritis didn't show in a bloodtest but did on an MRI. I believe our thoughts are powerful and don't want to speak anything into existence but need to know what is going on with me so I can do something about it. I am still in severe pain this morning, all over. And I'm running a low grade fever of 99.8 Motrin is not helping. I'm so glad I found this board. Looks like we have to take our healthcare into our own hands at times.

Closed Thread