It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• I tried the Lysine and....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    I tried the Lysine and....

I got really sick with head rushes and feeling ill. I guess that is why there is a warning on the label that states to consult a physician before, whatever! I am very sensitive taking things, that is why I didn't try it a year almost a year ago when I first read about it. I thought with the recent posters having such great success that I would try it now. OMG! I'm sure its just me but I took one with my iron and bam! That is why I haven't been posting to anyone. FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
    CD111
    (female)

CD111 HB User
    Re: I tried the Lysine and....

Interesting, I have also picked up some lysine. I haven't had very adverse side effects. But I have noticed my appetite not being what it used to be. I will make a more conscious effort to pay attention to my body. Flowergirl, what dosage of lysine were you taking. I am taking 1000 mg per day in two capsules each time I take my iron and half an orange

Old 02-05-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

CD111--Thanks for the reply. I took 500mg with Poly Iron 150 mgs elemental iron, so who know's what happened. My iron also has Vit C in it as well. I was sick and had head rushes, scared me. I react to things easily so I don't know what happens to me. This started two hrs after taking it. Hope it works for you as others on this board. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
    CD111
    (female)

CD111 HB User

I have some questions about elemental iron vs iron sulfate. The iron sulfate I take has about 40 mg per tablet the elemental iron you mentioned has 150 mg. Has you absorption increased on the elemental iron? One thing I like is that iron sulfate is so cheap. How much do the elemental iron tablets cost and how many a day do you take?

Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CD111 View Post
    I have some questions about elemental iron vs iron sulfate. The iron sulfate I take has about 40 mg per tablet the elemental iron you mentioned has 150 mg. Has you absorption increased on the elemental iron?

I'm not sure what my absorption rate is?????? But I do absorb the supplement, my ferritin went from 2-35 in one year and I am no longer anemic. I had the same type of results as when I was on FS 325= 3X daily 65mgs but it made me ill.

One thing I like is that iron sulfate is so cheap. How much do the elemental iron tablets cost and how many a day do you take?

The Poly Iron is 150 mgs and I took it 2X daily for most of the year = 300mgs daily. Now my Hematologist wants me to continue to take 1X daily until menopause. It costs $17.99 monthly (count#60) at 2X daily. It is a generic not covered by insurance, and is OTC if you ask for it at the pharmacy. It is designed for people that get GI upset (prescribed by my GI doc) and long term use. Vitamin C is added already.

Do you think that you are not taking enough iron? FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

FLFLOWERGIRL - That's not good if the Lysine made you that ill. My mother is also sensitive to various medications, yet she is a fairly robust lady healthwise. She often says that she is fortunate her health is pretty good as so many pharmaceutical med's and other vitamins have made her seriously ill or have given her weird skin rashes/irritations.

Maybe the 500mg dosage may have been too strong. Not sure if you are game enough to try Lysine again but with a lower dosage?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AudreyB--No way am I game. I was ill for a couple of days. Don't know if the Lysine reacted with my Synthroid, thyroid or just me? It reminded me of when I was really ill and I had a little panic over it.

I did research and read that if you are taking Lysine it may raise your cholesterol levels and should consult a doc before beginning. My levels are borderline due to thyroid/ Hashi's. So it wouldn't be a good thing for me anyway. I thought that was interesting because a lot of people here have thyroid conditions too. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I did read it.

I get tired of feeling like I'm the only one that reacts to things all the time. Thanks for the story about your mom. Thank goodness that Synthroid and Nexium don't bother me. Take care. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Flowergirl, instead of the Lysine, why don't you just try the 500 mg of Vitamin C with the iron and see how that goes?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Littlebunnyfoo--Thank you for your thoughts. I already have Vit C in my iron and have no idea how much is there, but it must be the right amount. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #10
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Oh, okay. I wish I could think of something else for you.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #11
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Littlebunnyfoo--Thanks! I guess I have to take the slower path. They told me it would take a year to fill. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-08-2008, 01:28 AM   #12
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Flowergirl - I agree, maybe it's best to leave the Lysine out and stick to the tried and true and get to your destination via the slower route than making yourself ill in an attempt to get there faster. At least you gave it a go. Not everybody can take everything and we all react differently.

Closed Thread