HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anemia (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/)
-   -   Bruises (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anemia/576286-bruises.html)

lindsalou 02-05-2008 08:06 AM

Bruises

Hi all,

I havent been on here for a while. hope everyones okay (had a sinus infection - now recovering from the awful stomach bug doing the rounds - dont you just love winter!).

Anyway, yesterday when i got in the bath i noticed these bruises, one massive one on my forearm (dont recall banginig it,) one on my thigh (again dont recall banging it) and this morning a HUGE one on my foot that looks like an elephant has trodden on it. They arent sore to touch.

Any ideas?
Linds

FLFLOWERGIRL 02-05-2008 08:49 AM

Re: Bruises

Yes, Linds I noticed that you weren't here. Hope you are recovering well.

Do you think perhaps you had taken some kind of meds that may have caused this? If not, I would get a blood test just to see that all is normal if it is something completely new and ongoing. Maybe related to anemia? I always bruise easily. FLFLOWERGIRL:)

CD111 02-05-2008 10:18 AM

Before I started taking iron supplements I would bruise so easy, it was ridiculous. The bruising has significantly improved in the last few months for me. so iron deficiency could definitely be part of the problem

japlopper 02-05-2008 01:33 PM

Have you been on antibiotics lately for your sinus infection? Some antibiotics lower your platelet count, which would account for the bruises. Also, some viruses can lower the platelets as well. If this is the case, it will resolve itself.

If it keeps happening, you need to check into it. One warning sign for me that my platelets are too low is if I get an itch and scratch it and it leaves tiny reddish purplish dots under my skin (called petechiae), then I know I need to get a CBC done and check it out.

Jill

lindsalou 02-05-2008 02:40 PM

Thanks for your replies guys,

Maybe its down to the AB's i was taking for my sinus infection (amoxicillin), or maybe the stomach virus, maybe a combination of the two. I just tend to get anxious when new symptoms appear. Im so glad you lot are here to help!, but i will keep an eye on things.

Hoping your all well (hope your feeling better too flfower girl!)
best wishes
Linds

Audrey-B 02-05-2008 10:51 PM

There seem to be some nasty viruses around all over the world and they seem to take longer to clear up than your average virus we would all get years ago.

I'm not sure about the bruising. I'm certain you would know if you bumped or knocked your arms, legs, feet etc against something. Maybe it's like the previous poster suggested.

Hoping you feel better soon :)

ChristineVA 02-06-2008 06:34 AM

Right now, I've got three bruises on me that I have no clue where they came from. I haven't had any bruises in awhile so it is odd. Fortunately, I just had labwork done and I am not anemic and my ferritin is going up, so I don't think I can blame that.

I am one of those people who, historically, has always bruised like an overripe peach on a hot summer day!:D I go through phases of this. I've had some real doozies even when I was not anemic.

I do think anemia can cause bruising though because you can bleed easier. Any small bump can cause a larger bruise.

I would keep an eye on it though. Some medications can cause the capillaries to weaken and you can get a larger version of petechia (call purpura) which looks more like a bruise.

Ashley9045 07-24-2008 05:25 AM

I also have low iron and a ferritin level of 5. I too get bruises for no reason since my levels have been really low.

flowergirl2day 07-24-2008 07:49 AM

Just a quick question: does the daily use of aspirin, or any other anti-platelet/coagulating agents, promote bruise formation? I also get unexplained bruises.

FG

theartyone 08-03-2008 03:20 AM

It is worth mentioning this to your doctor if you haven't done already. I was the same and discovered that I had a factor 11 deficiency (not serious but something doctors like to know if I ever need a transfusion/ operation). I do believe that low ferritin causes this- I have stopped bruising as much since my ferritin went up!

flowergirl2day 08-03-2008 08:55 AM

I will read up on that. The bruising itself does not bother me that much, because it fades away completely after a time. It's the mottled, patchy changes in skin coloring that do. They stay. I have no explanation for this, and my doctor has not offered one. They definitely look strange. They are not age spots; rather, a very visible outline in brown of all the blood vessels under the skin. I could not find anything like it in my dermatology book, which has hundreds of photos of various skin conditions. I wonder if it is related to the iron deficiency. Can anemia result in changes in skin coloring?

flowergirl

flowergirl2day 08-03-2008 08:55 AM

I will read up on that. The bruising itself does not bother me that much, because it fades away completely after a time. It's the mottled, patchy changes in skin coloring that do. They stay. I have no explanation for this, and my doctor has not offered one. They definitely look strange. They are not age spots; rather, a very visible outline in brown of all the blood vessels under the skin. I could not find anything like it in my dermatology book, which has hundreds of photos of various skin conditions. I wonder if it is related to the iron deficiency. Can anemia result in changes in skin coloring?

flowergirl