It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• rec a good iron supplement?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User
    Question rec a good iron supplement?

What brand/type do you use?

About me:
    My ferritin is 2 and my Hemoglobin is 8.9.
    My dr just said iron sulfate, 1 or 2 a day, and I take a generic pharmacy brand.
    At an organic store, they had an Ultimate Iron tab with iron and heme iron.
    It didn't occur to me that there might be heme iron pills, which sould like a good idea, and online I saw a heme iron pill which is prescription only.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User
    Re: rec a good iron supplement?

My primary doctor as well as hematologist recommended ferrous sulphate. I don't have digestive problems with it at all. However, some do.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

ajpa--If your doc prescribed FS and you can tolerate, it I think that it is a great choice because it is WELL absorbed. Don't know about the other irons you mentioned. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

You need to try all the iron supplements and see what suits you best. Most doctors ALWAYS recommend the sulfate form for some reason. The fumerate, gluconate, and biglysconates are also good and sometimes more gentle.

Interestingly enough, a major magazine had an article on anemia last month. The recommended a new product called Proferrin which is a heme form of iron made from the red blood cells of cows. I contacted the company to find out what the inactive ingredients are because I am allergic to some. Unfortunately it contained the one I am allergic to but it sounds like a wonderful product. The company person indicated it was available OTC but I don't know where. I didn't bother to ask because I couldn't take it. They have several formulations--one with iron, with with folate and B12 I think. Seems like a good product and they are claiming no GI upset.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
    Stefarina
    (female)

Stefarina HB User
    Smile Re: rec a good iron supplement?

I am taking Chromagen Forte which is a prescription medication. I looked up the medication online when I first got it. I don't remember the type of iron, but do remember it was a strong dose of iron in addition to B12, Vitamin C and Folic Acid.

I do know that iron responds better with vitamin C as far as the amount that is absorbed. I have had minimal side effects. You may want to ask your doctor if he/she will prescribe the Chromagen Forte for you.

I do like that it contains all the necessary things I need to help raise my ferritin levels as well as hemoglobin, etc. Hopefully it will get me out of the anemia zone soon!

My ferritin has come up 5 points since I started taking it at the end of September. YIPPEE! I am excited since when I started taking it, my ferritin was at a 5.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Closed Thread