It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• New Ferritin results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
    christie67
    (female)

christie67 HB User
    Thumbs up New Ferritin results

Hey guys. I just got back from the hemotologist. My ferritin is up to 64.1. PRAISE GOD!!!! It was at 27 3 weeks ago. I have been taking the 325mg of ferrous sulfate with 500 mgs of Vitamin C and 500 mg of L-Lysine 3 times a day. My hair is still thinning......but I don't seem to be losing quite as many strands. He said may take a few months of my ferritin being consistent at this number or a little higher before I see lots of results. I am still going to go and see the endo just to make sure hormones and thyroid are definitely okay. You guys have encouraged me so much that I wanted to share my news with you. I pray we all just keep getting healthier..........

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: New Ferritin results

christie67--That's great news! Wow, It's wonderful that you responded so well. You can't ask for more than that. Hopefully you will get good news at the Endo as well. Keep us posted on your success and thanks for sharing! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
    Hair Envy
    (female)

Hair Envy HB User

Wow - excellent results in just 3 weeks! It gives us hope

Old 02-14-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

That is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations.

Yes it will take at least 3 - 6 months to see results with your hair and will get even better the higher your ferretin goes (that's if nothing else is wrong to impede progress).

Wow, i still can't get over that. 3 weeks is all it took!! Your body must truly respond to the things you were taking. I think your ferretin wins the record for being the fastest mover since i've been a regular on this particular board. Any faster and it will qualify for the Beijing Olympics

I'm hoping to get my new test results next monday. I'm so excited yet dreading what i might hear.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:29 AM   #5
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

I'm truly impressed!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
    christie67
    (female)

christie67 HB User

Thanks guys for your kind words. I don't know if you guys believe in prayer, but I am praying for all of us. I never knew that emotional trauma and rapid weight loss could do this to my body and my hair.....but I am thankful for the positive things I am learning about myself. I used to complain that my hair was so baby fine and somewhat thin.............I can assure you that I will gladly take that baby fine and somewhat thin hair back in a second.......and never complain about it again.

I'll keep you guys posted........and thanks again!!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
    CD111
    (female)

CD111 HB User

christie, congratz on the ferritin levels. I have also experienced hair loss recently due to very high stress levels and a low ferritin level. After doing some research I found out that emotional or physical trauma event can cause hair loss. During the event the body stops "feeding" a percentage of hair follicles and the hair may not actually start falling out until 3 months after the event. There is nothing you can do to prevent that hair from falling out. Low ferritin levels cause hair loss because the realizes iron stores are low and well hair isn't that important. So again the body stops nourishing a percentage of hair follicles. Try to eliminate stress the best you can. I am sure your new results have calmed your nerves a bunch. Good Luck

Old 02-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
    christie67
    (female)

christie67 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CD111 View Post
    christie, congratz on the ferritin levels. I have also experienced hair loss recently due to very high stress levels and a low ferritin level. After doing some research I found out that emotional or physical trauma event can cause hair loss. During the event the body stops "feeding" a percentage of hair follicles and the hair may not actually start falling out until 3 months after the event. There is nothing you can do to prevent that hair from falling out. Low ferritin levels cause hair loss because the realizes iron stores are low and well hair isn't that important. So again the body stops nourishing a percentage of hair follicles. Try to eliminate stress the best you can. I am sure your new results have calmed your nerves a bunch. Good Luck
    CD11 - it has and thanks. My stress level is much better......I am on the mend. In your research or in your own experience, the hair follicles that weren't fed.........they are still "okay" and once the body starts absorbing nutrients, etc.........will they become active again? So confusing..........

Old 02-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
    christie67
    (female)

christie67 HB User

Hey, guys. Just wanted to check in. My hair is still shedding....but does seem to have slowed down a bit. Last few days, have only been losing around 6-10 hairs in the shower and around 30 or so in the sink while I am fixing my hair (of course, I am sure some fall on the floor and throughout the day......and I don't see them.). I am still taking the ferrous sulfate 3xday with vitamin C and L-Lysine. I am going to keep on...........I see an endo on 3/14 just to make sure all is well with hormones and thyroid.

I saw the dermatologist last week and through his "special glasses", he said he saw some fuzz popping up on my scalp. I am praying these are terminal hairs........from what I have read, all hair growth has to start with fuzz.....sure hope so.

I do have a question.........since all of this began after my emotional trauma and rapid weight loss......I have noticed that my "face fuzz" is alot worse. It is still blond........but just more and longer. Has anyone experienced this being on increased iron? I am taking iron, vitamin C, L-lysine, folic acid, 2.5 mg of biotin, 1/2 dose of B-12 complex and good multivitamin........spaced throughout day accordingly so as not to interact with my iron. I am just curious........do you think it is from the increased vitamins & iron or did the stress cause it?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

christie67--I think that it is related to the vitamins and minerals that you are taking. I noticed that my hair grows quickly now with supplements. I never took them before anemia. That's probably why I got like this in the first place. I have fuzz too, all over my head sticking out. I fix it in the morning and if the weather changes or anything happens it sprouts right back up and uncontrolable. Never have I had that before. I have noticed that those hairs also fall out so I don't have a clue what the reason is Synthroid, Hashi's or low Ferritin????? FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread