It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Doubts in diet for iron deficiency patients.....Plz help me!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
    haritha
    (female)

haritha HB User
    Doubts in diet for iron deficiency patients.....Plz help me!

I have iron deficiency, so I need to maintain my diet. But i have some doubts.

I got to know that calcium inhibits iron absorption, and vitamin C enhances iron absorption.

So, my doctor said try to intake iron supplements with vitamin C, so that it helps me in absorbing iron.

finally what my doubts are:

We have some fruits like orange, papaya, grapes which contain calcium and vitamin C with small amounts of iron, can we take them before or after taking the iron supplements. or we have to totally restrict the calcuim contant fruits?

In my diet I have rice with combination of some vegetable dishes which contain iron, vitamin C etc. But the rice what i am taking contains calcium.So what ever the iron i am taking with rice will be absorbed or not?

why doctors suggest us to take the iron supplements before the meal or with empty stomach?

If I take milk how much time should i have to wait to take iron supplements, to avoid the calcuim in milk effect my iron absorption?

Can I use soya beans, they also contain calcium?

anybody if possible please clear my doubts...................,

-haritha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Doubts in diet for iron deficiency patients.....Plz help me!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haritha View Post
    I have iron deficiency, so I need to maintain my diet. But i have some doubts.

I got to know that calcium inhibits iron absorption, and vitamin C enhances iron absorption.

So, my doctor said try to intake iron supplements with vitamin C, so that it helps me in absorbing iron.

finally what my doubts are:

We have some fruits like orange, papaya, grapes which contain calcium and vitamin C with small amounts of iron, can we take them before or after taking the iron supplements. or we have to totally restrict the calcuim contant fruits?

With a meal I would restrict it. You can eat these between meals.

In my diet I have rice with combination of some vegetable dishes which contain iron, vitamin C etc. But the rice what i am taking contains calcium.So what ever the iron i am taking with rice will be absorbed or not?

Corrrect, the absorbtion is ~inhibited~ by calcium. You will still absorb something most likely.

why doctors suggest us to take the iron supplements before the meal or with empty stomach?

It is suggested to take on an empty stomach because when taken with food the iron is inhibited up to 50-60%.

If I take milk how much time should i have to wait to take iron supplements, to avoid the calcuim in milk effect my iron absorption?

I have read to wait 3 hrs apart from iron supplements when taking calcium. I don't know exactly how long when drinking milk, ask your doc.

Can I use soya beans, they also contain calcium?

I would think that the same rule would apply here as well.

anybody if possible please clear my doubts...................,

-haritha
    The things to remember are that Vit-C increases iron absorption. Take iron on an empty stomach 1 hr before a meal (with Vit-C) is best. When taking iron with food the absorption is decreased by 50-65%. Many foods can inhibit absorption when eaten along with iron rich foods, the lists are on the net. Even some medications (like PPI's) can inhibit, so be sure that you are not taking any of those at the time of iron. If you want to absorb the most iron you should follow those guidelines, it makes a BIG difference. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
    haritha
    (female)

haritha HB User

Hello FLFLOWERGIRL,

Thank u very much for your response. Can you please give me some guidelines. like when to take the fruits, milk, iron supplements so on and what intakes will be best. I want to improve my iron levels as soon as possible. please...........,

once again thank u for the suggessions.

-haritha.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

You are going to have to look at all the food combinations ( lists are on the net) that you are eating and make changes accordingly. 1-10% of iron is absorbed from vegetarian food in your diet, so your going to have to work on getting all that you can. Animal foods is 10-20% absorbed from your diet.

I added things to my diet like wheatgerm, cashews, sunflower seeds and dried apricots. I ate them as snacks in between meals for good absorption. Then at my meal I would eat iron rich foods with no inhibitors. It's hard but you have to make the change to get all that you can from food and supplements. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #5
    haritha
    (female)

haritha HB User

Thank you FLFLOWERGIRL for your quick replys. I will do my best.

-haritha

Old 02-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User
    Is it ok to take it with citrucel?

Sometimes I forget until nighttime to take my iron sulfate. I drink a glass of citrucel (fiber supplement) at night -- do you think it's ok to take the iron then?
    Thanks!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Re: Is it ok to take it with citrucel?

Probably not--1 hr before or 2 hrs after fiber supplement. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User

Thanks flowergirl!

Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 AM   #9
    haritha
    (female)

haritha HB User

Hello FLFLOWERGIRL,

I am going to try wheat germ for the first time. Can u tell me which way should I have to intake, either raw, toasted or added it with any other foods inorder to help my iron absorption.

-haritha

Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #10
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

haritha--I used the toasted kind and added it to anything that I could. I sprinkled it on sandwiches, put it in my foods when cooking.

As far as absorbtion, It may inhibit other iron rich foods. I used it as an iron source and B vitamin source. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread