It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• 13 year old Mild Aplastic Anemia...have questions..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
    ela076
    (female)

ela076 HB User
    13 year old Mild Aplastic Anemia...have questions..

I just found out after my son went through a bone marrow biopsy because of his platelet and white cell count(they were low) that he may have mild aplastic anemia. He is supposed to go back to his hematologist in 3 months for a re-check. The dr. said that it might be due to a virus and if his blood work is back to normal we wouldn't worry about it at that point. But if not what can I expect? I really do not know alot about it other than the Dr. said that he did not have alot of bone marrow...it was pretty "empty" he said. Can it get better? Worse? Can anyone explain this to me? He is 13 years old and very active...plays sports year round. He just finished bball season and started baseball and track. Will this affect him playing sports?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: 13 year old Mild Aplastic Anemia...have questions..

I'm sorry to hear that your son is having problems. I hope that everything works out for you both. Not many people here have experience with this type of anemia. My only suggestion is to use the search box located above and read old posts on the topic. Hopefully someone will answer you, I didn't want to leave you hanging here with no response due to a lack of experience. Best of luck to you both. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
    michelledelen
    (female)

michelledelen HB User
    Re: 13 year old Mild Aplastic Anemia...have questions..

I'm so sorry for your son's diagnosis - I'm an adult and this is one tough disease to deal with.

I would definitely get your son to a hematologist who specializes in BMT disease asap, especially if he doesn't feel well. There are a lot of things that need to get started such as a search for a potential BMT donor (if he doesn't have a sibling match). The search could take from 4-6 months. If he isn't improving and requiring transfusions (especially if his neutrophil count is dropping) they usually would like to try a round of immunosuppresive therapy with ATG - that works in about 70% of the patients, but remission sometimes occurs.....

Good luck and I hope things turn around for your family - I hear it is a long battle and you just got to hunker down and keep positive....

Michelle

Last edited by moderator2; 03-05-2008 at 07:48 PM. Reason: disallowed website - please read our rules

Closed Thread