It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron supplement and Interactions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Iron supplement and Interactions

Hi old friends! It's been a little while since I have been at this board. I am still working on my ferritin but not taking a high dose any longer. When I got to 48 or so my pcp said stop with the higher dose and just go to a daily dose of 18mg. Next week I will get the ferritin checked and see where things have gone with the low dose.
    My question today is about when I take my iron, what I should keep it away from. Since I went down to the lower dose I have just tried to take it about 2 hours before dinner with orange juice. But what I am wondering is if that is too close to taking my multi at noon, and also my calcium. Also I take zinc and copper do these need to be separated from the iron as well?
    I can't seem to recall the interaction stuff that I looked at when I was on the high dose.
    I am concerned about the iron now especially because my thyroid tests recently showed , low t3--thus I have trouble converting the t4 to t3. I have read that low iron can be one thing that screws up the conversion. Also iodine. Well, if anyone knows anything about the t3 I would love to hear it .
    I hope you all are doing well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Iron supplement and Interactions

osteoblast--welcome back!

Your schedule sounds good to me. I don't know anything about the copper and zinc so I can't comment on that.

Yes, iron does help with the T4 to T3 conversion. I don't know how but it does assist the process. I can say, though, that the whole time I was iron deficient, my T3 levels were fine so I guess I was converting just fine.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Hello Osteo--Your Ferritin looks great! Keep us posted on your low dose iron reading, K. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 02-22-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

Flowergirl-Hello to you! I hope you and your family are doing well. Is your son doing better?

Last edited by osteoblast; 02-22-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Osteo--Thanks for asking, he is having a scan soon. Keep your fingers crossed!

My ferritin was 35 last time checked, I think that it is up even more now because I'm starting to feel a lot better, finally. I thought that would never happen!

Do you feel better with a higher ferritin or can you tell a difference? FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User

I am hoping things work out well for your son with the scan. I know he has a good mom who will be there for him and that will help alot!
    Yes, I do feel better with a higher ferritin AND higher vitamin d level. I used to have alot of leg pain at night. I would wake up with aching in my legs over a several year period. The achiness is just gone now. Wheter it was the ferritin or the vit d I do not know since deficiencies of both could cause aches and pains. I don't think it was restless leg syndrome-but I have read that they use iron to help with that.
    Congrats on getting your ferritin up to 35! Do you feel better with your level raised? What level were you at when diagnosed with low ferritin?
    I am going to see a registered dietician to help with some issues-one of them being that I need to put on some weight. When I spoke briefly with her over the phone , she said that she had a very good iron formula . So I will check back in here to share that information . Take care

Old 02-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Osteo--Thank you for your sentiments.

I have experienced a lot more energy since my Ferritin has gone up. I was a 2 when diagnosed. I am on 1 iron daily so I don't know what kind of progress I'm having right now. Have you noticed a higher energy? I still have RLS when it gets late and I'm tired but it got really bad with the anemia, so that part is gone now.

Let us know what you find out from the dietician. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-03-2008, 01:16 AM   #8
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

His osteo - yes, zinc, copper and calcium all intefere with iron absorbtion. My dr has me taking my zinc at bedtime. Apparently vitamin D is best taken after an evening meal b/c it's best absorbed after you have eaten a meal containing meat. I too was abnormally low in Vit D and in Iodine. It's kind of scary as dr's in general don't test those things. It also makes you wonder how long were you low in those things and has that created a lasting affect on something else eg: thyroid.

I was looking at some of those over the counter iron supplements and they have virtually stuff all iron in them. I couldn't believe it. A lot of them only had 5mg iron!! No wonder i wasn't getting anywhere fast 2 years ago when i first began buying OTC supplements.

I wasn't able to take my iron supplement and hold off from eating for even 10mins as it would make me want to throw up. Now i'm better used it and i can take my supplement and not eat for close to an hour at times, but breakfast time is still difficult.

I too have noticed increased motivation and energy levels since my iron has risen. I also seem to fit more into my days and i tend to get things done rather than put them off. My dr wants me to continue until i'm over 100 at least, so looks like i'll be drinking this vile stuff for quite a while yet.

Keep up the good work osteo and keep the ferretin going up as it can only do you good in the long run

Old 03-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #9
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

hi all,, my ferretin is still yoyoing,up and down,i was due to have fibroid sorted feb but had two short periods,and convinced my self that i was stopping,so doc canceled the embolization,said to go and see her in two months, im frightened to have it done, when my ferretin,got to 32 i started to feel some energey,doc said to drop tablets to one a day, by doing this ferretin dropped to 20,so doc put tabs back up to three a day,i feel so tired and fed up,christine and flowergirl i took your advice on the stomach issues and it seemed to work,thanks shirley

Old 03-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

moommin - sadly a lot of dr's out there think once you get into the 30's with your ferretin levels that it's fine to take less iron when in fact you ought to keep it up till you get over 70 if possible or even higher if you can.

I guess the one good thing which came of it was that you saw how fast you dropped back down to 20.

If the fibroids are causing period problems i'd personally have the procedure done. No surgery is fun for anybody, but at least once it's done you will have that problem over with and possible much better ferretin levels for much longer.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:19 AM   #11
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

audrey thanks for your advice, i know i will have to sort fibroids out to get better its the thought of being awake through the procedure i wish they could put me out, i will talk to my gyn, well done on your ferretin levels, all the best shirley

Old 03-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #12
    selma67
    (female)

selma67 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
    Hi old friends! It's been a little while since I have been at this board. I am still working on my ferritin but not taking a high dose any longer. When I got to 48 or so my pcp said stop with the higher dose and just go to a daily dose of 18mg. Next week I will get the ferritin checked and see where things have gone with the low dose.
    My question today is about when I take my iron, what I should keep it away from. Since I went down to the lower dose I have just tried to take it about 2 hours before dinner with orange juice. But what I am wondering is if that is too close to taking my multi at noon, and also my calcium. Also I take zinc and copper do these need to be separated from the iron as well?
    I can't seem to recall the interaction stuff that I looked at when I was on the high dose.
    I am concerned about the iron now especially because my thyroid tests recently showed , low t3--thus I have trouble converting the t4 to t3. I have read that low iron can be one thing that screws up the conversion. Also iodine. Well, if anyone knows anything about the t3 I would love to hear it .
    I hope you all are doing well!
    Hi all

I'm new to this forum, but I was diagnosed with anemia in December (ferritin - 20). I was feeling sick for years but now they at least know what was wrong. I had such dry skin, mouth and eyes that they thought it was sjogren's syndrome at first.

Anyway, as to what to keep iron away from, it interferes with thyroxine because I noticed I was badly hypothyroid again when I took them too close together. I have heard you should take them 6 hours apart, with the thyroid first, so I am taking my thyrxoine first thing in the morning and the iron (200 mg at the moment) at night. This high iron level really messed up my zinc too and I lost my sense of taste (my doctor didn't put me on iron WITH zinc, so I have been supplementing myself.) Now I have a hematologist doing tests on me, but about how much zinc am I meant to supplement? What is the usual dose people are put on?

The other thing is, if you supplement zinc, do you have to supplement copper too? Since iron interferes with copper, and copper and zinc interfere with each other, any ideas?

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Selma67

PS Iron absorbs better with Vitamin C, but has to be taken a long time away from zinc. My zinc supplement had a small dosage of copper with it, so I assume you can take those together, but I don't know for sure how it works. I think you have to also keep iron away from calcium supplements, and magnesium too.

I do know a little about T3. For those who have trouble converting T3 to T4, I believe it is called "Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome". There are two types of thyroid your doctor can give you. Levothyroxine (T4) is the usual one, but if you have a real T3 problem, they can cut your T4 and supplement with T3 instead. They mostly hate doing this because it is a new therapy and you need an experienced practitioner to carry it out with you because if it is done incorrectly, it can make things worse. You can at least ask about the possibility of T3 supplementation though if you have a genuine T3 problem.

Last edited by selma67; 03-05-2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: addition

Old 03-05-2008, 07:38 AM   #13
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by selma67 View Post
    Hi all

The other thing is, if you supplement zinc, do you have to supplement copper too? Since iron interferes with copper, and copper and zinc interfere with each other, any ideas?
    This is why I started to take a prenatal vitamin for several months to balance all the other things that may be out. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
    selma67
    (female)

selma67 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    This is why I started to take a prenatal vitamin for several months to balance all the other things that may be out. FLFLOWERGIRL
    Does it have the right balance? Did you take it in addition to your iron? Or did you use it for your iron as well? If you don't mind my asking, how much iron was in it? This might be worth a try, actually. I was on them when I was pregnant, but I have just used multimineral supplements since, and they didn't have enough iron. I'm a runner as well, and I only found out recently that running can severely reduce iron levels. This works well if people have too much iron, but in my case, I started out with not a lot and so I'm in trouble now with it (and not running as a result).

CAn you recommend any pre-nat vitamin brands? Thanks for any help you can suggest. I'm still really new to this and I still am struggling with the fact that recovery might take months.

Closed Thread