It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• thyroid and anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2008, 04:48 AM   #1
    help wanted :(
    (female)

help wanted :( HB User
    thyroid and anemia

hi everyone,
    so ive been taking 2/3 x 200mg ferrous sulphate a day for 6 weeks now... dont feel any different yet in myself although i did have a nice light period this month, but i dont know if thats related...
    anyway, im anemic due to heavy periods, but i also suffer from several other illnesses/ailments ( chronic sinus and digestive problems to name but a few) and ive been doing some reasearch to try and get to the bottom of it ( i think all or many of my ilnesses are connected)
    now, thyroid issues popped up a ffew times in my research and the more i looked into it the more it sounds like what i have, i posted all my symptoms on the thyroid board and people agreed.
    ive heard a few people on the anemia board mention thryoids, and i was wondering if there is a link between thyroid problems and anemia?ive read that anemia can be a symptiom of thyroid, so could i have 2 types? could the anemia have casued the thyroid issue in the first place?

basically i want to knw if theres any connection... very confused!!!
    thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: thyroid and anemia

Longstanding, untreated hypothyroidism can cause pernicious anemia and,to some degree, iron deficiency anemia. If you are hypothyroid and untreated (that is the key--untreated), the hypothyroidism slows down all your bodily processes and *can* possibly cause you to have a problem with B12 absorption and absorption of iron.

Having anemia does not cause hypothyroidism. Howeve, having anemia *may* cause you to have trouble converting T4 to T3 if you are taking synthetic thyroid hormone.

As you can see, I've used the words "may" and "can" because it doesn't always happen--only a possibility. Also, the thing to remember is that most of the time, these things happen when a person either doesn't know they have hypothyroidsism and they aren't being treated. This sets you up for all sorts of problems. Many people think that once they are given a diagnosis of hypothyroidism, despite getting treatment for it with Synthroid or the other brands, that they still are going to get complications. They won't. Not if they are taking their thyroid medication and their TSH levels are in the normal ranges.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:47 AM   #3
    (female)

thanks christine that makes more sense,
    i suppose i should go and get tested but my anxiety means im TERRIFIED of anything medical, ESPECIALLY blood tests, i dont think i could bring m y self to do it, im almost certian ill faint

Old 02-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

helpwanted--I have to take medication before I see a doctor. So there is something that you can take that will help you through whatever it is you have to do. When I have a blood draw I have to lay down. I'm not scared but one time I had a bad reaction and couldn't stop passing out. I felt weak the rest of the day, it was bad. So now I lay down in the peds room LOL. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
    (female)

flowergirl, i think that is what will happen to me...
    can i ask what it is you take to help?

Old 02-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

helpwanted--I take Xanax at least 1 hour before my appointment. I was given this because my bp goes up (spikes) in the office, White Coat Syndrome. It is a script and nothing that you would want to take all the time, it is addictive. It helps me so much when there is something I have to do like MRI and things like that. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-28-2008, 03:15 AM   #7
    (female)

ah i was hoping it was something i could get hold of myself. yeh evertime i go to the doctor my blood pressure gets really high, its a shame i cant get drunk before i go so i wouldnt be worried about it all! ha, no seriously if there was something i could take to calm me down and calm the anxiety and fear maybe id be able to do it

Old 02-28-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

help wanted:

I take the Xanax too! A good doctor will recognize your anxiety and give it to you.

Closed Thread