It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• how do you deal with the symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User
    how do you deal with the symptoms?

specially the lack of energy, the mental fuzziness .. all that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: how do you deal with the symptoms?

I did everything I could to raise my numbers as fast as I could. The symptoms for me were so bad I couldn't go into a store or be left alone for a long time. It's something that you have to deal with for a while. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-23-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
    fairysharkbait
    (female)

fairysharkbait HB User

The symptoms are truly driving me nuts. I slept nearly 11 hours last night and I wake up sooo tired. My body aches, my head aches, my joints are sore, I forget things and I am just tired of being tired. I walk up the stairs to our 2nd floor and I am winded. I don't know how to deal with the symptoms other than to let my husband do as much as he is willing and let the rest of the stuff go. The house is a mess, I have to just look past that.
    I don't have an answer for dealing with the symptoms other than to just not beat yourself up about it, feeling negative about it causes more energy to be used.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:21 AM   #4
    help wanted :(
    (female)

help wanted :( HB User

just tryto tell myself that one day i will get through it and be ok. it cant get any worse! and ive been ill for so long im actually excited about the prospect of feeling like a human again one day... and its very hard but i try my best not to use valuable energy on getting upset and depressed about it, even though i do a lot, plus these boards have helped me alot, not only by giving me advice on my vrious conditons and trying to figure out how to combat them, but also to know there are people in the same situation and they are getting better... i just have to try and get over my maavie fear and anxiety and find a new doctor and go to them! also make sure you have a healthy diet and drink plenty of water. Good luck

Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User

Oh, about sleep, question also:

You know what's weird? I had a bad cold headache the past couple of days, so I took a sinus pill (sudafed) before I slept. I had really vivid dreams (strange) but when I woke up I felt more rested than usual. Maybe the sinus pill made me sleep more deeply than I usually do.

Anyway, have you guys got insomnia? I think I've gotten into this pattern of waking up several times during the night and going back to sleep -- sleeping fitfully, in fact.

What is your sleep like?

Old 02-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
    Wigfur74
    (female)

Wigfur74 HB User

I understand everything everyone is saying. I can be sitting doing nothing and my heart races and I am short of breath. It is all I can do to lift my head off the pillow in the morning. I cannot get enough sleep. My doctor is considering doing iron infusions which scares me because I am only 23 and would probably have to do them for the rest of my life. It is nice to know that I am not alone in how bad I feel. I luckily have in ally in my mom who is suffering from the same thing so it's nice to have someone who understands like she does because I feel other people in my life think I am exaggerating. I just wanted to let all of you know you are not alone

Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #7
    hannahhannah57
    (female)

hannahhannah57 HB User

Yes you are definitely not alone! I have the same issues, I walk up the stairs and I am so winded and when I come back down, I feel like I am walking on balloons. It really is the worst, I just keep taking my iron pills and hope it helps. My hemoglobin was up from a 6.3 to an 8 last week, I go tomorrow and I hope it will be higher although I dont expect it because I have had really heavy spotting this week.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #8
    tm6474
    (female)

tm6474 HB User
    Wink Re: how do you deal with the symptoms?

I was diagnosed with severe anemia approximately a year ago. I was on the verge of having a blood transfusion. I could hardly get up my stairs without stopping a couple of times, everything was in slow gear, but worst of all I couldnt sleep, and had a really bad respiratory infection which took months to get over. I started taking iron pills, heavy duty, i think ferrous fumarate at first, then was switched to palafer. They told me I'd start feeling better in a couple of weeks (I didn't), but that it could take 3-6 months to really kick in. It did take months, but my iron is up now. What a difference! People have no idea what it can do to a body, with lack of oxygen. I also had some idiot doctors diagnose it as depression and menopause. Aaargh! How annoying! Just because you're almost 50, that's their magical diagnosis. Wrong! Anyway, just to let you know you'll be much better with iron pills and time. Try to be patient. You will feel better, though it doesn't seem like it now. Take care.

Closed Thread