It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Thyroid girls...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User
    Thyroid girls...

My tsh came back higher than it usually does - 2.73. Does that number mean anything?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Thyroid girls...

Your TSH is still in the normal range but is getting close to the higher end. It would be helpful to see what your FT4 looks like.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Christine,

A year ago...
    my tsh level was 1.9
    T4 7.7 (5.0-11.0)
    T4 uptake 1.03 (.70-1.20)
    FTI 7.5 (6.0-11.0)

All in the normal ranges. I didn't have anything other than tsh tested today.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

littlebunnyfoo--When I first went to the Endo with symptoms my TSH was 7.57 that's when 5 was the top of the range. Doc said, he didn't treat until it was a 10, but if I had hashi's I would have to be treated. This doc passed so I went to a new one, he said he treats patients (with Hashi's) at an 8 and I tested at 8 at that time. I started meds low dose and every so often it shoots to 9. I have been between 2-3 all year with the anemia. Last month it went to 4.87 and my meds were raised. That's how this goes up and down. I think that if you keep getting tested your TSH will go up at some point if you have a condition or disease. Won't they do the Antibodies test for you? The symptoms were the same as anemia for me. It's so hard to know what's going on I guess that's what the blood tests are for. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Thanks flowergirl

No, my pcp will not do the antibodies test. I'll ask my new endo next month.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Littlebunnyfoo-At first the doc wasn't going to do the antibodies (FYI) until I said that I had a family history, then he thought Hashi's. And.. he was right, it showed on the ultrasound first, then the anti's in the blood. I hope your new Endo will help you and at least run the test for. I have yet to find anyone in my family with Hashi's. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-03-2008, 01:27 AM   #7
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

The thing which gets me is that there isn't one simple basic test which is used for thyroid conditions by all doctors. There should be a standard test as dr's should be well aware by now that some people have a thyroid condition and have no or hardly any symptoms, whilst others have symptoms which could belong to a variety of other illness. Also the fact that some people's TSH mightn't be sky high and they have symptoms, while another person at thesame level and they have next to no symptoms.

I don't see why one dr simply does the TSH test, another is willing to do the T3 & T4 to get a more clearer picture. Then you have dr's who parrot the old "it's within range" speel, then you might be fortunate to find one who takes it all a bit more seriously and arranges the antibodies test. I personally feel the medical profession should get their act together when it comes to thyroid issues. The way it's looking for me is that i have likely been suffering for 7yrs and i kept blaming the symptoms and the way i felt on a host of things b/c the dr i was seeing back then kept saying all was fine.

To what length do you have to go to be taken seriously!!

Bunnyfoo, hope your endo does a thorough test for you. Nothing worse than worrying about something you might not have or wasting time, if you do have it, when something could have been done much sooner.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
    selma67
    (female)

selma67 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    littlebunnyfoo--When I first went to the Endo with symptoms my TSH was 7.57 that's when 5 was the top of the range. Doc said, he didn't treat until it was a 10, but if I had hashi's I would have to be treated. This doc passed so I went to a new one, he said he treats patients (with Hashi's) at an 8 and I tested at 8 at that time. I started meds low dose and every so often it shoots to 9. I have been between 2-3 all year with the anemia. Last month it went to 4.87 and my meds were raised. That's how this goes up and down. I think that if you keep getting tested your TSH will go up at some point if you have a condition or disease. Won't they do the Antibodies test for you? The symptoms were the same as anemia for me. It's so hard to know what's going on I guess that's what the blood tests are for. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

I had this problem too, FLFLOWERGIRL. I have anemia and low thyroid and the symptoms were identical, so although my endo kept saying my thyroid was fine when he did the tests, I kept telling him he must be wrong because I still had the symptoms. That's why it took longer to find out that what was wrong was anemia. Like, you, they keep having to do these blood tests constantly. My endo said a "normal" TSH should be around 1.0, but I am not sure what scale he was using. I noticed my hypothyroid symptoms recurred when I was on very high levels of iron, and I have to take my thyroxine 12 hours apart from my thyroxine or it doesn't work properly.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone else?

Old 03-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #9
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Litlebunnyfoo--I went out this weekend and bought the book Living Well With Hypothyroidism. It looked like a good book if you have that problem. I was going to get the Thyroid for Dummies but I just don't want to know all that information, right now I'm on overload with everything. This is all I need to know right now. Who knows maybe I will learn something to share here! Good luck with your Endo appointment. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 03-17-2008 at 06:00 PM.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Hey Flowergirl,

I might be getting that book. Right now, it looks like I won't be needing it...tsh, free T4 and T3 look okay. No antibodies test done yet - doctor did not order it after I requested/asked about it for the 3rd time. He's fired.

Seeing Endo. next week. I'll let you know...

Old 03-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #11
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Littlebunnyfoo--I really hope that you don't need it! Good luck with your Endo appointment. I sure do hope that he tests you for Anti's. As I said before, I told my Endo symptoms, same as anemia and a family history. Before that he wasn't going to test the anti's either. It was just recheck labs later. But at the last minute he changed his mine and it was a positive anti test with ultrasound and I am on T-4 therapy. Isn't that crazy? Anyway, good luck and keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-12-2008, 01:36 AM   #12
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Littlebunnyfoo - glad you fired your dr and if you do end up getting diagnosed with a thyroid problem then i would visit your ex-doctor to simply rub his nose in your results!!

As you know, my thyroid tests were always fine and normal according to previous dr's, then antibodies test said very much otherwise and today i had my thyroid ultrasound and the nurse doing the procedure brought in one of the doctors to take a look and he confirmed that it most definitely looked like hashimoto's. He also said that foods grown on nutrient deficient soils also leads to a lot of thyroid problems.

I wish you well with the endo and most definitely tell him of your family history and hopefully the endo will do the right thing by you. Best wishes

Old 03-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #13
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AudreyB--You must get the book Living Well With Hypothyroidism by Mary J. Shomon, it's wonderful easy reading too. You will absolutely love it! I got her book for AI diseases years ago when DX'd with Hasho's but obviously I got the wrong one. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #14
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the recommendation Flowergirl I have read a site on the net where she talks about 10 steps of living with thyroid/hashimoto's (something like that, can't recall precise title).

She mentions using Evening Primrose Oil. Apparently this is good for the thyroid and good for hair regrowth. I once took one gel capsule of EPO per day (was supposed to take 3 per day) and after a few weeks i got the tiniest, tiniest pimply things come up in a sort of a rash at the tops of my shoulders, up the sides of my neck and parts of my forehead. A naturopath said this often happens and you have to ride out this side effect and when your body gets used to it it will no longer occur. I get this happen to me when i use fish oils capsules too, but not from garlic gel capsules. I was using the EPO to help with bloating prior to my menstrual cycle starting.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #15
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey--You can also sign up for her newsletter, I have been getting it for a long time and it's a wealth of information. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread