It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Mildly Anemic & Colonoscopy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
    nycjane
    (female)

nycjane HB User
    Mildly Anemic & Colonoscopy

I had posted recently and wanted to get some opinions as I have more info now.

I was told I was mildly anemic. This showed up in a routine blood test. Today the MD told me it is iron deficiency anemia. I am 49 and in good health and had no real symptoms. I have been taking a mutilvitamin with iron for months now. The last CBC I had was last summer and it was normal. I am just starting perimenopause and haven't had a period in 3 months, although I spot occasionally. I was on Provera but gyn took me off in December when period stopped.

MD told me today that he wants me to get a colonoscopy. Now I am nervous about colon cancer, etc. He said he needs to rule out internal bleeding and this is the way to do it. Nevertheless, I am scared.

Does this make sense from a diagnosis standpoint. How concerned should I be?

Thanks all.

Jane

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Mildly Anemic & Colonoscopy

Yes, this makes perfect sense especially at your age. You are only one year away from needing a routine one anyway.

I was 42 when my anemia showed up. They kept saying 'heavy periods' but I really never believed that.

My GP said that he felt like he couldn't rest easy until I had the colonoscopy done. I was in that "gray" area of needing one. At 42, I was no longer "low risk" but I wasn't high risk either. Plus, he felt like he had seen too many cases of colon cancer in people in their 40s. Add to that my co-worker who discovered it at age 45 and I knew I had to go.

I was already seeing a gastroenterologist for GERD. When I went to him for the colonoscopy, I said that "we may as well look at my stomach too" as I had been on medications for many years. He didn't really feel it was necessary but agreed.

My colon turned out to be fine but my stomach had some bleeding. I was using a lot of Motrin for my menstrual cramps. He didn't think that caused my anemia but didn't think it helped anything either.

Bottom line is that it is standard procedure to have both and upper and lower scope. If you are going to do the colonoscopy, also ask to have the upper done. Many people have stomach issues and don't even know it. I had bleeding and gastritis and you could have certainly fooled me!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

nycJane--There is a really good thread to read on this board about colonoscopy, I think that it was started by Osteoblast. You should pull it up, it had lots of good information.

It is standard procedure to have these tests done. My doctor didn't ask for it but I knew to have it done from what I had read on the net, when I looked up anemia. When I saw the GI doc he said he was sure it was my periods but would do BOTH the endo/colonoscopy to be sure that nothing is missed. My colon was 20 minutes and the endo was 10 more. I have always suffered from GERD, I thought that I may have internal bleeding which was never found. They did find a small Hiatal Hernia though which is causing my reflux problem. It's good to know the facts instead of the worry. I had mine at 45yrs and the doc said I didn't need to come back for 10 yrs.

I think that I had some kind of bleeding that was healed by the Nexium. I don't know that for sure. I have always had heavy periods.

My mom had internal bleeding, her CBC went down and she saw it in her stool. By the time they did the endo they never found a bleed. They did find gastritis and BE. Sometimes they can't find a source of bleeding either.

The test is really not that bad at all. I am a big chicken about that stuff and I breezed through it. Not the prep of course. Check out that thread that I was telling you about. Remember these test procedures are to RULE OUT things. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
    nycjane
    (female)

nycjane HB User

Thank you. I did read it and a bunch of others. I am going next Wednesday morning. Sounds like the prep is the worst part. I don't seem to have any symptoms. All this because my hand was swollen and I thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

The prep is the worst part. I had one done also...if you eat very lightly for 2 days before the prep, it helps. Also sucking on a mint right before you chug 8oz. and then right after helps the taste go away.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

nycjane--At least you found out before your numbers got really low. It can get pretty ugly. I'm just now getting back to normal a year later. Keep us posted on your colonoscopy results and good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 02-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
    nycjane
    (female)

nycjane HB User

Thank you so much. I bought the stuff at lunchtime today. I got the ginger-lemon flavor. Oh goody

Old 02-28-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
    JJ1
    (female)

JJ1 HB User

Hey, I am 49 and severely anemic. I had a colonoscopy last year to rule out internal bleeding. The doc told me that everyone should get one when they are 50 anyway, so having it a year or two early wasn't a problem and they could rule out internal bleeding as being the cause for my anemia. It wasn't too bad. Like someone else said, the prep before hand is the worst part of it.

Closed Thread