It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Iron and Thryoid TSH level

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #1
    osteoblast
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

osteoblast HB User
    Iron and Thryoid TSH level

I recently read two threads here one by BunnyFoo and the other by AudreyB
    that raised a question that I thought would be worth thinking about .
    What I am wondering is whether a person who is not on thyroid meds(synthroid, for example) would see a change in their tsh when taking supplemental iron.
    In my case, I have hashi's and I am on synthroid. When taking slow fe- a large dose of iron, my tsh while on synthroid went from 1.5 to 4.0. The doctor then raised my synthroid dose while I was taking the iron. When I stopped the larger dose of iron , my synthroid had to be lowered to the level I was previously taking . So, it is not that you can't take the iron when on synthroid or other thyroid med- but that the med must be adjusted higher while on iron and then lowered when you go back off. My reaction is not unusual. Dr. Rubin in his book Thyroid for Dummies talks about having to adjust the synthroid when taking iron. Also there are other meds that might have an effect on tsh.
    Bunnyfoo- If you are on iron supplements now , maybe you could check with your doctor to see if the iron may have affected you tsh test.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User
    Re: Iron and Thryoid TSH level

Thanks - I did not know about that. Yes, I'm on iron so maybe that was the reason for the jump. In Audrey's case, it wouldn't affect antibodies (for Hashi's) would it?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Osteo--I remember that you had to increase the Synthroid when you were on high dose iron. My TSH numbers stayed about the same all year then when my iron was cut in half my TSH went up. I'm so glad this didn't happen when I was anemic, that would have been too much to handle for me. Didn't you say that the higher dose of Synthroid made you go hyper? I have never had that happen yet thank goodness! Is Thyroid for Dummies a good book to have?

My problem was I started to get heart palps and thought it was the higher dose Synthroid (NOT) that I was on so I had them lower it. Now they put me back on that original dose, guess that's where I need to be. Isn't this fun! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 AM   #4
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Osteo - you have a point, but being new to all this i'm confused as it is. I will most definitely add that question to my list which i'll be taking to my thyroid appointment. Think i'll need a bigger piece of paper somehow Let's hope this dr is patient They must get so sick and tired of each new patient asking the same old questions........

Closed Thread