It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anemic and have some questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
    Leigh0211
    (female)

Leigh0211 HB User
    Anemic and have some questions

I was diagnosed with anemia 3 years ago and I was able to increase my hematocrit score from about 32 to a normal range within 2 months. Recently, I've been having cravings (ice) and all the other symptions that go along with anemia and I went in for a blood test. Here are a couple of my scores. My hematocrit is: 30 and my hemoglobin is: 8.9. My doctor wants me to have a Colostomy and an Upper GI test. I told her I had no other symptions and I think she sensed I was scared and that I was able to increase the numbers in the past. She told me she would give me 6 months to raise my iron scores. I'm terrified of the colostomy test and what they may find but since I'm 45 and it is required in 5 years I decided to have one and I go in next week. I have recently started to eat more red meat and dark leafy veggies. My periods can sometimes be heavy and may contribute to the anemia. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Anemic and have some questions

Leigh211--If the reason for anemia is not found it will keep coming back. If it is your periods you have to fix that too. Sometimes it can be from more than one thing. It is good that you are having the colonoscopy and endoscopy at the same time. This will rule out a lot of things and you will feel a lot better about it. I never thought that my periods were that bad to cause something like anemia. Now that I had an ablation to fix it and see how little blood loss there is, I feel ~fairly~ confident that it was the reason.
    I was also 45 when I had my testing. This is quite normal for women of this age group that is why the doctors say it's your periods when there is anemia. I was scared of the colonoscopy too because I had never been under before. The procedure really was nothing for me and I feel very self accomplished having had it LOL. There is a lot of good information on this board about colonoscopy, if you use the search box above you can pull up old posts on the subject. It is good that you are eating iron rich foods, meat makes a great difference as well. Good luck and you will be fine. If you have any further questions, just post them. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
    nycjane
    (female)

nycjane HB User

My MD told me to get the colonoscopy too. I am going Wednesday morning. I got a lot of great info from searching here. You will too. I am a big chicken too but I am not too worried on this one. Everyone says you are totally out of it. No one has told me one bad thing so far. I will happily post my experience. Quite frankly I am more worried about being hungry/no coffee

I agree with Flflowergirl. I want to know why I am anemic. I want it fixed and it can't be fixed till we know the cause.

Good luck.

Jane

Old 03-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

nycjane--Good luck to you on Wednesday! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
    JJ1
    (female)

JJ1 HB User

I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy last year at age 48. It was two years earlier than you would normally have it done, but because of my continuing anemia the doctor wanted to rule out other possible causes. They also checked me for Celiac disease (which is gluten intolerance and can lead to anemia) which you may want to ask your doctor about while they are in there anyway (I think it is a biopsy). I am considering uterine ablation or getting the Mirena IUD to limit/eliminate my periods so I can see if that is the cause. Mine are heavy, but I don't believe abnormally so. But at least I can get that out of the way and I should be going through menopause anytime now and be rid of them forever

Oh, by the way, editting to add that the prep for the colonoscopy is the worst part, but I am sure you heard that already. When you finish the prep, the rest is a breeze. Wish you the best.

Last edited by JJ1; 03-04-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
    Leigh0211
    (female)

Leigh0211 HB User

Thanks for all the encouraging responses. I don't fear the colonoscopy test as much as what they may find. Hopefully everything comes out okay.

Regarding heavy periods and anemia. I was doing fine for the anemia part of it but it seemed like it only took a few heavy cycles-not every month but over a span of a year to get me to this point. I also get large blood clots sometimes which I heard can be normal. Any thoughts about that?

But menopause will be here soon. My mom went through it at my age.

Also, I hope everything turned out well for you nycjane.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leigh0211 View Post
    Regarding heavy periods and anemia. I was doing fine for the anemia part of it but it seemed like it only took a few heavy cycles-not every month but over a span of a year to get me to this point. I also get large blood clots sometimes which I heard can be normal. Any thoughts about that?
    Before I had an ablation I had rather large blood clots all the time. This causes a lot more blood loss than you realize. They found and removed 7 polyps at the time of the procedure. I am great now. In fact, I had my annual check up yesterday and the doc said that a 13.8 was a high Hgb. But I know that it is not optimal.......FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
    nycjane
    (female)

nycjane HB User

Thank you both for your good wishes. It went well. The anesthesiologist said to me "I'm giving you medication now....just let yourself drift off." I thought to myself "good idea." Next thing I knew they were waking me up MD said everything looked fine but he said my intestine was a little red so he did a biopsy but he stressed to me that it's not for cancer. I felt a little gassy afterwards but that's it.

Everyone says the prep is the worst part and everyone is right. But even that was not terribly bad.

I will talk to my MD once the results are in and see how he wants to proceed. But I feel much much better now.

Jane

Old 03-06-2008, 05:54 AM   #9
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nycjane--Congrats and I'm glad everything went well for you. Isn't it reassuring though to know facts. Hope your path report comes out well too with no Celiac. Did you have and Endo at the same time? FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
    nycjane
    (female)

nycjane HB User

Celiac - hhmm as I sit here munching on crackers No endo. I didn't realize it might be celiac they would be checking on. i figured it was Crohn's. But I feel fine so who knows. Hopefully i hear soon and worst case is iron pills are in my future.

I agree - having info is very reassuring.

Jane

Old 03-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
    JJ1
    (female)

JJ1 HB User

I did not test positive for Celiac, but the doctor decided to check for it while he was in there with the scopes. I supposed he checked for Crohns too but did not mention it. Many of my symptoms seem to match the ones for Celiac but I am glad I don't have it because I don't know if I could handle the lifestyle changes that would entail. A friend of mine's 9 yr old son has it and the poor thing can't even enjoy birthday parties -- no cake, no pizza.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #12
    Leigh0211
    (female)

Leigh0211 HB User

I had my colonoscopy this morning. Everything was okay. I agree with most people when they say the prep is worse then the test itself. My doctor suggested making an appointment with my ob/gyn next to see if anything is causing my heavy periods. I am so relieved that this exam is over. My step-dad was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer when he was 55. Most of his colon was removed. He radically changed his diet and became a vegan. He didn't do chemo or radiation and he is alive and going strong 8 years later. He had symptions for 3 to 4 years before his diagnosis and was scared to get tested so he put it off.

Now I feel like I worried myself into having an ulcer. I have pain ion the right side of my stomach. It started around the time I started taking iron tablets. The doctor suggested slow fe instead of ferrous sulfate.

Thanks to the people that have been encouraging through this ordeal. It's nice to know I'm not the only one going through this.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #13
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Congrats on the colonoscopy! It's too bad that many of us are scared to have this type of testing done. I was scared too but I was more scared of not finding out why there was blood loss. They need to do more to let the public know that this really is not a bad test at all. The prep is another story, but they are changing that with the Osmo Prep tabs too. I'm glad to hear that your step dad is doing well. That 3-4 years of symptoms must have really been hard on him to deal with.

If you continue with stomach discomfort and are having symptoms ask for a 30 day trial dose of a prescription that will fix the problem. I know first hand how bad ferris sulfate symptoms can be. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread