It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• anemia and low WBC

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
    babysister66
    (female)

babysister66 HB User
    Wink anemia and low WBC

anyone have this problem, anemia and low WBC count? The only things high are MCH and lymphocytes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
    JJ1
    (female)

JJ1 HB User
    Re: anemia and low WBC

A low WBC occurs with pernicious anemia, which is due to a B-12 defiency. If you haven't been tested for this, ask your doctor. I think when WBC and platelets are low, it can be aplastic anemia. I was tested for B-12 deficiency and it came back normal, so I am wondering about my low WBC, also.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
    babysister66
    (female)

babysister66 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: anemia and low WBC

ok. thank you. I'll ask. I hope you find your answers also. Keep me posted. I'll let you knowif I find anything also. By the way, do yu happen to get [U]severe[/U]leg cramps also? I am being plagued by them

Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
    JJ1
    (female)

JJ1 HB User

I haven't had any leg cramping recently and I am currently anemic and scheduled for an iron IV next week (ferritin at 4.9 and WBC at 4.1 which is normal but on the low side of normal). I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia syndrome so it is sometimes difficult for me to differentiate between the FMS and the anemia symptoms.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
    babysister66
    (female)

babysister66 HB User

Man, it just seems like you have to leave so much trust up to the Dr.s. I don't trust this as so many symptoms have been swept under the rug for so long, and I know my body. Iguess we have to be our own best advocates and keep pressing the issue. Thank you for replying.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

A low B-12 or vitamin deficiency will cause leg cramps associated with anemia. Sounds like it may be PA that you are dealing with but could be many things. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-07-2008, 05:04 AM   #7
    JJ1
    (female)

JJ1 HB User

I had to ask my hematologist to test for B-12 deficiency. I had to point out to her that my WBC is also consistently low. She said that the test showed I did not have a B-12 deficiency, but it is frustrating to not have the doctors be more proactive.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:32 AM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

JJ1--I hear what your saying, that's just not right. I can see a PCP but not telling a Hema doc they SHOULD know that! That was one of the first things that they checked on me but back then I had no idea why, now I know all too well.

I have a friend that was told she was anemic and sent home to take iron with no other tests. I was already anemic at that time and I sent her back for further tests (to ask the doc for) she ended up having a B-12 under 200. She had PA and IDA at the same time with a Ferritin (another test to ask for) of 6. Then she had to fight to see a Hematologist. You really do have to get a quick education on your healthcare situation. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

One more thing to be on your toes about:
    If the dr says your B12 is fine, make sure to ask for the number! I had severe symptoms at 324, which is considered acceptable here in the US. Luckily my dr realizes some people need treatment up to and including levels into the 600's, but some drs do not. They see a 200 number, look at the range and say you're fine, when in fact, you may not be!

The leg cramping can also be a sign of potassium issues. It all works hand in hand. I've been told to eat bananas as I'm rebuilding my B12 stores, so I'm not sure if it was the B12 or the potassium that helped my leg cramps, but I do know that potassium helps B12 usage.

Jill

Old 03-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
    babysister66
    (female)

babysister66 HB User

Thanks everyone. I have learned a lot and will definately bring it up to my doc. This is something I wouldn't have known to ask on my own. Take care everybody

Closed Thread