It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• anemia and anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
    help wanted :(
    (female)

help wanted :( HB User
    anemia and anxiety

how many of you suffer from anxiety realted to your anemia? recently my anxiety has got so bad i cant dp simple things..
    did you feel your anxiety improve as your iron went up? did this take a long time? does anyone have any ideas of anything you can take to help with the anxiety?
    many thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2008, 04:36 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: anemia and anxiety

Quote:
    Originally Posted by help wanted :( View Post
    how many of you suffer from anxiety realted to your anemia? recently my anxiety has got so bad i cant dp simple things..
    did you feel your anxiety improve as your iron went up? did this take a long time? does anyone have any ideas of anything you can take to help with the anxiety?
    many thanks
    help wanted--I don't know if everyone suffers from anxiety with anemia. I *do* believe that you have to sort of have a predisposition to anxiety to have it rear its ugly head during anemia.

I can only tell you that during the years before I was officially found to have anemia and then during the time that I was diagnosed and at my worst, my anxiety was HORRIBLE. I'm sure the very low ferritin even causes it without actually having the anemia.

I can say that my anxiety is TONS better than I had been now that I am "cured." I know that I will certainly, in the future, watch my anxiety levels for clues that my iron storage is not right.

When I was trying to treat the anxiety (not knowing that I had low iron), I did seek out a psychiatrist because the GPs are woefully awfully at properly prescribing psych meds. This doctor was very understanding and worked with me--even sending me to a therapist to see if it would help. What really stood out was that my "anxiety" was not the same as what other people get. It didn't respond to antidepressants (Prozac, et al) or other types like Buspar. In fact, it made them worse. I ended up relying strictly on Xanax (with lots of monitoring). It was the only thing that smoothed it out. But it doesn't stop the "worry" that goes on in your mind that is associated with anxiety. It just stops the horrible physical symptoms.

Now that my anemia is better, I hardly have to use the Xanax at all.

In fact, I just changed jobs this week. It was a MAJOR change for me and one that I would never considered back during the throes of my anemia. I could not have faced it. Now that I'm feeling better I made the move and it has been INCREDIBLY stressful. Yep, I'm having lots of sleepless nights, I'm all wound up. But it's all normal. And I've gotten through it without a single Xanax!!!

So, my advice to you is to find a doctor who will work with you and get you the coping medication you need to get through this rough patch. You generally will improve as you improve the anemia.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

helpwanted--My anxiety is also much better since the anemia has resolved. However, I still have a little health anxiety and white coat that's my DX anyway. I still have the panic over these events, I take Xanax and I'm able to get on with things. I have always been anxious but never realized it could be a problem before anemia. The only time that I can remember having a problem as Christine stated, was when starting a new job. That's horrible for me I get sick to my stomach over it. So, I guess it's always been there I just didn't realize it so much. I really feel that whatever problems you have before anemia become MUCH worse while having anemia.

Do yourself a favor and get the tools you need to cope. You will thank yourself for it later on. It will help you get through this difficult period. Best of luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Christine--Best wishes to you on your new job. Congrats on getting through this experience without help. I know how hard that must be, It will be over soon though. I'm dreading going back to work and finding a whole new job after the anemia. I'm not ready yet. BTW, your advice was missed here! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    Christine--Best wishes to you on your new job. Congrats on getting through this experience without help. I know how hard that must be, It will be over soon though. I'm dreading going back to work and finding a whole new job after the anemia. I'm not ready yet. BTW, your advice was missed here! FLFLOWERGIRL

Thank you FLFLOWERGIRL. It's nice to be missed!! I haven't been on nearly as much because of the job. One of the reasons that I left my old job was that I pretty much had NOTHING to do. That worked out REALLY well for me during the anemia. I could go to work full time and actually relax at my job. But that went on for far too long and it was making me nervous. I was so bored at work that I was spending a lot of time online just to get through the day and I knew I had to make a change.

So, while career-wise, I think the new job is going to be good, I'm probably only going to be online about 30 minutes a day. I do check this boards each evening and, if I have time, (or aren't totally exhausted) I do try to respond. So, you might not "see" me much but I am still here.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
    (female)

thankyou both and congrats on the new job. im not sure what xanax is, ive heard i mentioned a lot, but im assumign its prescription which is a poroblem, i cant go to my doctor, im hoping to find something natural that will help!

Old 03-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
    babysister66
    (female)

babysister66 HB User

I also suffer from anxiety and anemia. I have had anxiety problems on and off all my life, but just recently found out about the anemia. I can tell it really sets the physical symptoms off, such as pounding heart, sweating, ect. I think in that way the two things play off each other, each gaining strength with the aid of each other. xanax helped me when I had it, but Ihave learned "grounding" techniques for myself without the meds. I deep breath, do self talk about how its ok, and try to work out what emotional episode might have set me off. Sometimes call and talk to a friend. Hope all gets better for you

Old 03-10-2008, 06:57 AM   #7
    hannahhannah57
    (female)

hannahhannah57 HB User

Yes anxiety has gotten much worse--I always had a little in the past but have not had an attack in years! Since I have had this anemia, I had numerous anxiety attacks in the last 2 months. They gave me xanax to take, but I am trying not to take it as I dont want to take anymore medicine.
    I hope they get better!

Last edited by hannahhannah57; 03-10-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 AM   #8
    vegemite
    (female)

vegemite HB User

After the birth of my last bab, my iron levels dropped significantly (my ferritin was 7).

And what alerted me to the problem was anxiety. I have never in my life suffered anxiety. My GP was very quick to diagnose post natal depression and put me on antidepressants, before doing any bloodtests. I took them for 8 weeks or so, felt no better so went back and demanded bloodtests. That's when my iron deficiency was picked up.

I started on supplements, and in 4 weeks my ferritin rose from 7 to 27, and my anxiety slowly passed. 3 months later (in Feb this year) it rose again to 48, and I have had not one feeling of anxiety in that 3 month period.

So yes, I am a firm believer that the fatigue caused by the defiency is enough to cause anxiety. And it does pass as your iron levels rise.

My GP wants me to continue on the supplements until I have my ferritin levels sitting pretty at 80+. It could take another 6 months to do, but hell - I feel on top of the world and I'm happy to do it

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:35 AM   #9
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I did experience anxiety during my low iron days, but not in the extreme and simply thought it was the "left overs" of the extreme anxiety i experienced whilst previously married and going through a tonne of stress.

I then thought it was due to my health not being the best due to my iron falling low. Now that my ferretin has risen to a good level i am better, but there are certain things that are the same.

2 or 3 weeks ago it was confirmed that i have a thyroid problem and my doctor did particularly ask whether or not i experience anxiety and did state that anxiety can be a symptom of my thyroid condition, which i believe i've had for a number of years, but it simply wasn't detected.

So at the end of the day, where does anxiety really come from and what is it a result of, my past, my anemia or my thyroid or all 3. I simply do a lot of deep breathing exercises and try to think positive, do stessful things one at a time, follow through things step by step instead of doing step one, but stressing out about step 10.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #10
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

my anxiety is very bad i dont like going out on foot on my own,i only go out in my car,to and from work,i panic if i have to drive out of my comfort zone,its coursing problems in work as i need to drive people around, (disabled ) so im getting very stressed at work if im told to drive,and say i cant do it,i dont think my boss will understand if i say i have panic attacks when driving,i wont to change my job so i dont have to drive,but im panicking about the thought of an intervue and job change i think its also my age 48,peri,as well as low iron i dont know what to do shirley

Old 03-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #11
    (female)

i just wandered if my doctor is likely to give me anything if i go and say im ahving bad anxiext and panic attacks, or will they want to go into all of the reasons its happening, becasue some ofthem i dont care to talk about. i just want to be able to lead a relativly normal life not suffer this

Old 03-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

I do, but I also have pernicious anemia (can't absorb B12)and Mitral Valve Prolapse, which predispose you to anxiety problems. I've never heard of it with iron deficiencies but I don't know enough about that type of anemia. There are many types of anxiety with many causes. Just the fact you may worry about your iron deficiency can bring on anxiety.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

I am having the same problem this week. Just as I'm falling asleep, like right at the moment of entering "through the veil", as they say, I get the adrenalin "hammer" hitting me. Wham! Wide awake and heart pounding. Times that by about 50 times until 2:30 AM every night last week. I'm freakin' exhausted.

At first I thought it just a weird coincidence. But the responses here have got me wondering.

Closed Thread