It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Chronic iron deficiency anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
    karen51
    Inactive
    (female)

karen51 HB User
    Chronic iron deficiency anemia

I have had this for years, but I found out one reason is because I have Celiac disease, which prevents you from absorbing the nutrients from food. I have been on the diet to help it, but what Celiac does is basically kill off the villi in your small intestine that absorbs nutrients. I have been on the gluten free diet for over a year now and that is supposed to cause the intestine to heal. My iron level is low, I am not sure what it is. I have taken a months worth of an oral medicine to increase my iron level.

So my doc is supposed to check my level in a month. He is pretty much a slacker, I had to tell HIM that my iron level was low and he prescribed the iron pill on my word. So I need to check with the doctor that told me my iron level was low to find out what it was!! How retarded huh? I am just wondering how long it will take for me to feel better. I have depression too which saps my energy, so it is hard to tell which is causing what. Basically I have very low energy. I would try to find another doctor if I had better insurance. He is actually in a very reputable group, but he is in and out of the room quickly because he knows I am in the medical field and that I have had severe depression before. He thinks I can fix myself I guess, and definitely does not want to deal with any psych issues.

What a mess! I wish I could just get a few IV iron infusions, but it is risky, plus expensive I am sure. My diet is very difficult, besides it is near impossible to raise your iron level with diet alone.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    karen51

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Chronic iron deficiency anemia

Karen,

As you know, the only way you are really going to improve your iron when faced with celiac disease is to be really strict with the diet. Any little bit of gluten is going to damage the villi. I think it probably takes a long time to heal, then, once healed, the body will start to absorb the iron. When that process starts you are looking at a few months.

Closed Thread