It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Extreme Exhaustion low ferritin?? help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
    shelsdina1
    (female)

shelsdina1 HB User
    Unhappy Extreme Exhaustion low ferritin?? help

Hi i recently got blood test results that said i was anemic. Does anyone know what these #'s mean and if it is severe? I have an appointment with a Hematologist in 2 weeks but i could hardly keep my head up???

Hemoglobin 10.5
    hematocrit 31.8
    MCV 77.6
    MCH 25.7
    RDW 15.7
    Iron total 28 TIBC 477 Transferrin Sat 6
    Ferritin 3
    any info would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
    JJ1
    (female)

JJ1 HB User
    Re: Extreme Exhaustion low ferritin?? help

I don't have all the normal ranges memorized, but can say that your hemoglobin and ferritin are low, particulary your ferritin, which measures the iron stored in your body. It is good that you are seeing a hematologist. They will be able to best evaluate your condition.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
    shelsdina1
    (female)

shelsdina1 HB User

Thank you for your reply

Old 03-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

shelsdina1--No this is not severe iron deficiency. You are mildly anemic at 10.5, with No iron stores which is your Ferritin (in the bone marrow) which is at 3. For the Ferritin anything under the range is considered no iron remaining. The Ferritin takes up to a year or more to fill up again. You will be on iron supplements most likely for a long time.

Have they determined what the cause for your anemia is? That is the first thing to find out through testing to rule out possible causes. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
    shelsdina1
    (female)

shelsdina1 HB User

thanks FLFlowergirl
    I had gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago so i think that is why I am anemic. I havent seen the hematologist yet. I have an appointment in 1 1/2 weeks it seems like forever. I am sooo exhausted all of the time i can hardly keep my body standing. If I am mildly anemic would that cause such exhaustion???
    thanks again

Old 03-10-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
    JJ1
    (female)

JJ1 HB User

I have hemoglobin and ferritin levels that are slightly better than yours right now and I am also extremely fatigued. I cannot make it through a work day and leave early each day to go home for a nap. Your iron levels may not be so low that it is dangerous (ie, need immediate transfusion) but they are certainly low enough to cause fatigue. My hemoglobin is around 11 and ferritin is 4.9. I have a chronic problem and had my iron drop dangerously low last year, so I am monitored closely and am getting an iron infusion tomorrow. I am not sure what your doctor will recommend for you , especially since your history is a little different -- I have not had gastric bypass.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:50 AM   #7
    hannahhannah57
    (female)

hannahhannah57 HB User

I also feel horrible and have been feeling this way for months. I just did not know until 1 month ago what the cause was. My hemoglobin has been as low as a 6.2 and as high as a 8.9 in the last month, they have me coming every week to test. Last Thursday it dropped back down to an 8.5.
    They have now referred me to a hematologist, I go tomorrow. It takes all I can to make it to work everyday and I found I am best in the morning, by lunch I am exhausted, but I am pushing on, it is tough though.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shelsdina1 View Post
    thanks FLFlowergirl
    I had gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago so i think that is why I am anemic. I havent seen the hematologist yet. I have an appointment in 1 1/2 weeks it seems like forever. I am sooo exhausted all of the time i can hardly keep my body standing. If I am mildly anemic would that cause such exhaustion???
    thanks again
    shelsdina1--Now I understand why you are seeing a Hematologist. They usually prescribe IV iron therapy for GBP patients, but sometimes they try the oral route at first. My sister is going through this right now but she was noncompliant with her supplements. The problem is the malabsorption issues related with the SX. Keep up on the B-12 as well, this may help with the exhaustion too. At least you will be getting what you need to correct the anemia and iron levels.

I know how long it seems in between appointments when you are so ill. Mine were 2 weeks apart for a whil when I was really ill and it seemed like I wasn't going to live to make it to the next one. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
    shelsdina1
    (female)

shelsdina1 HB User

THANK YOU so much for the advice

Old 03-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #10
    shelsdina1
    (female)

shelsdina1 HB User

Thank you for the information. It helps to know i am not the only one who feels like this.Thank you![

Closed Thread