It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Anyone had iron IV Dextran? Hematologist gave me 2 choices..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
    hannahhannah57
    (female)

hannahhannah57 HB User
    Question Anyone had iron IV Dextran? Hematologist gave me 2 choices..

Went for my first visit today with hematologist, definitely confirmed iron deficiency anemia. He gave me 2 choices for iron IV since my body is not absorbing iron supplements. One treatement of Iron Dextran which has more side effects per the doc but is a one time dose and he will see me again in 6 weeks to check levels, also possibly cheaper since only one visit?
    Or weekly treatments of another type of iron IV?
    So my question, I am a freak about not being able to breathe, breaking out in hives etc. and I have read stories of these side effects and I know 2 people, not sure which iron IV cocktail they had, but they both experienced hives and breathing issues.
    I am freaked out by either IV treatment, I mean I have an anxiety attack even thinking of it. He wants me to choose so we can proceed Monday. Any experience with either as far as side effects during treatment and after treatment, also cost, I have insurance but have a high deductible. thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
    cookinwithlisa
    (female)

cookinwithlisa HB User
    Re: Anyone had iron IV Dextran? Hematologist gave me 2 choices..

I just had a Dextran treatment last week and did great. It took about 5 hours, but they medicated me with Benadryl before it started and I am feeling normal for the first time in about 4 years. I reacted badly to the Venipher (sp?) weekly treatments but have done fine with the Dextran. I think it just depends on what your body can handle.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #3
    JJ1
    (female)

JJ1 HB User
    Re: Anyone had iron IV Dextran? Hematologist gave me 2 choices..

I just had my twice-a-year iron infusion (jokingly refer to as my refueling) using Dextran today. They first give you a small amount to see if there is an allergic reaction. If you are going to have a severe reaction, you will have a mild case of it then. My doctor also gives me an IV with a steriod and antihistamine to help with possible side effects allergic reactions. This time I was given an tylenol and Zantac too -- first time for those.

I do not react to the test dose of iron. I have a slight burning and numbness with the antihistamine/steroid, which doesn't make sense, but it is not too bad and goes away when they are done. The weird thing is I get a mild case of hives about 2 days after the iron infusion. I just take benadryl when I start feeling itchy. The hives only last a day or two and are relatively mild.

Everyone reacts differently and there are side effects and risks with nearly everything you do. If they test you for the allergic reaction first before administering the larger dose, then I would certainly go with the Dextran. If you have a reaction, then you can fall back on the other form of iron.

Last edited by JJ1; 03-11-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Closed Thread