It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• How long for BCP to start effecting iron levels and anemia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User
    Question How long for BCP to start effecting iron levels and anemia

Hi,

I've been recently put on birth control pills and I am starting the second week of my fourth month. My doctors have established to my satisfaction, via a bunch of awful GI and endometrial tests last year, that my years of heavy monthly bleeding are causing my anemia/low iron stores. And my periods have been much, much better and shorter since being on the pill. I'm very pleased about that and have no qualms whatsoever about being on them.

My question is, how long will it take for my anemia to resolve? I had my first re-check of the blood levels last week and my HGB is still low as are my iron levels. Shouldn't I be getting better soon now?

My doctor says it takes 180 days for bone marrow to manufacture new blood so she isn't surprised by this. Even so, she put me on iron supplements which are killing my stomach with heartburn. I would love it if the BCP would just do its thing and I don't have to take the iron for long.

Just wondering what other people's experiences are with this.

Thanks!

-Chickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
    rosana726
    (female)

rosana726 HB User
    Re: How long for BCP to start effecting iron levels and anemia

Hi, everyone is different and absorbs iron in different ways but I will tell you how it worked for me. I was also anemic from heavy menstrual periods, I also developed uterine hyperplasia. After one period lasting 23 days my iron levels were 9.8, I had 2 more periods tht were 17 days and then 47 days long, during the 2nd half of the 47 day period, my dr started me on birth control pills, at this point my iron levels were 9.1. This resulted in even heavier bleeding that lasted the entire 3 weeks that I was on active pills. I am happy to say that I just completed my 2nd month of pills during which I had no bleeding and just had a relatively light period.Hooray!! During the 2nd month of pills, I was taking iron supplements 3 times a day and my iron levels were back up to 12.4. So it really didn't take me long. I was taking supplements that bothered my stomach and the Dr told me to take FerrousSequols. They really made a big difference. I think it is important to take the iron on an empty stomach if you can and take them with some kind of vitamin C, a supplement or OJ is good. Don't take the iron with any kind of calcium products as that can hinder the absorbtion of the iron. Good Luck!

Old 03-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

Thank you rosana.

What you are describing sounds horrible, and I am so glad you got relief from all that. I had years of heavy periods where the first day was just terrible but the following days were "normal". I was always 28 days, like you could set your watch to it. I just thought I would be over this by now. But it could be that it's just due to going too long with this.

I REALLY appreciate the recommendation on the iron supplement you are taking. In general, this board is great because I am getting good tips on how to take iron as well in order to mitigate the stomach issues. My problem is not the constipation (yet). It's the heartburn! Yoiks! And the anxiety of this is really taking a toll as well as well as a certain amount of anger over the fact that no doctor really decided the anemia was serious enough to try to get to the bottom of it until last year. I can't tell how many times over the years I had heard I had "mild anemia" when I went for my physical. It wasn't until I was having heart arrhythmias and no energy and just felt lousy that my new doctor said "let's look at your ferretin levels".

Now that I have the damn bull by the horns I want this to be fixed, like yesterday.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
    rosana726
    (female)

rosana726 HB User

I too had years and years of regular (every 28 days) but very heavy periods, my dr always suggested birth control pills which I did not want to take and I also had mild anemia for which I was taking suppleents once a day. But I guess being perimenopausel changes everything! I too was having irregular heartbeats and actually went to a cardiologist!! At one point it really scared me my heart was so irregular! I had an EKG, an echocardiogram and then had to wear a holter monitor fr 24 hours. The monitor showed that I had 3000 PVC's in 24 hours which the DR considered alot and I then had to do a stress test. In the end all seems OK and probably related to the anemia. My levels are now normal and my heart seems to be more normal now also. I do have to go back to the cardiologist in 6 months for a follow-up though. Through all this my ferritin levels have NEVER been checked and that is something I want done when I return to the gyno in a couple of weeks. One other thing about the iron causing heartburn, I read somewhere about not lying down for 1/2 hour after taking a supplement, maybe that would help and also drink a full glass of water with each supplement.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

Wow, it's really kind of weird how similar our health situations sound and where we are in our lives. This is perimenopause time for me too. Except in my case no one suggested anything like the pill until very recently. No one seemed to really be concerned. When I complained about the heart flutters (went through all the echocardiogram, holter monitor stuff too) one of my doctors said "well, that could be your age and the change". And this is after begging for a re-check on my anemia (like I had to remind them why I am taking the pill). She did the blood draw and voila! Ferritin was low.

So I think it's probably safe to assume that if my iron is STILL low in 4 more months when we check it again, it's something other than bleeding out once a month that is causing the anemia. Let's hope that's not the case.

Closed Thread