It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• antibiotics and b12 shots

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
    kw123
    Veteran
    (female)

kw123 HB User
    antibiotics and b12 shots

I am suffering from h pylori with low b12 and ferritin. I have been taking b12 shots weekly and subling daily. Is it true that you cannot take them together because b12 weakens the antibiotic? I found it on the computer and it seems to be true. I stopped my b12 and feel terrible with fatigue,aching, etc... how do I cure this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: antibiotics and b12 shots

kw123--I have a great book, Prescription and OTC Drugs. Under interactions, it states to consult your doc for specific advice when taking antibiotics with Vitamin B-12. It looks like what you have read is correct.

In your case it is more important to rid the bacteria of your system first. I would call your PCP and pharmacist to ask that question. If you are getting shots those may not effect the antibiotics. Let us know what you find out. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
    kw123
    Veteran
    (female)

kw123 HB User

Flflowergirl- thanks for the confirmation. I figured you would reply with an answer. You seem to know it all. I am worried now because I was taking both for a few days before I stumbled upon this info and it freaked me out. Do you think this could interfere with not curing h pylori? I do go for a breath test in april to see if it is gone.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

kw123--LOL, I just like to talk a lot. First I would ask a doctor that knows the right answer. Then if it really does cause an interaction with the antibiotics, just ask for that number of days (more pills) in question. That would be a sure solution, will the doc agree is beyond me???? Let us know what happens. I would never have thought of nor heard of B-12 interacting. Did you change your diet too? FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
    kw123
    Veteran
    (female)

kw123 HB User

I have a call out now to my Dr. I will let you know the results. crazy huh? I bet most people do not know that there is an interaction there. I hope this doesn't take me longer to recover. I want the h. pylori gone and then I can concentrate on getting my b12 and ferritin levels up again. I will post soon .

Old 03-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
    kw123
    Veteran
    (female)

kw123 HB User

It is confirmed. Dr said to not take b12 shots or sublingual while on antibiotics. I never dreamed this was the case but it is. Spread the word.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kw123--That's good to know, especially in your condition. Glad you found that out. It would be no fun repeating that course of antibiotic therapy. I really didn't think that the doctor would know, LOL, that's how much faith I have! Although I'm sure you have better doctors than I have. Good for you! FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread