It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Still anemic, but from a different cause?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
    vtgrl
    (female)

vtgrl HB User
    Still anemic, but from a different cause?

I recently got a blood test due to mild fatigue, migraines (which have always coincided with a flare up of iron deficiency anemia in the past), and slightly decreased exercise capacity. My tests showed:

WBC: 3.7 (4.5-11) low, but always like this
    RBC: 4.0 (4.0-5.2) borderline
    HGB: 13.4 (12-16) normal
    HCT: 39.9 (35-47) normal
    MCV: 100 (80-100) borderline, last time was 86
    MCH: 33 (26-34) borderline, last time was 28
    RDW: 11.9 (11.5-14.5) borderline, last time was 14.9
    MPV: 10.1 (6-9.5) high
    ferritin: 13 (15-300) low
    TSH: 2.75

It seems like my RBC count is on the low side, as is the ferritin. The weird thing is that my hgb and hct are very normal, and now the MCV high. Is this at all consistent with B12 or folate deficiency? I do have some GI issues, although I tested negative for celiac. The test was done by my OB, not my hematologist, who is booked up for weeks. The OB was concerned about the ferritin given my history of IDA, but said nothing of the low-ish RBC values. I am currently taking 25mg iron per day, as I have been for years (I am 30).

Just curious if this is something I should pursue. I have definitely been a little groggy lately, and I feel less motivated a work and at the gym. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Still anemic, but from a different cause?

An increase in the MCV does indicate the possiblity of B-12 and/or folate deficiency. I would have this checked, especially if you have GI issues. Pernicious Anemia can cause a lowered B-12 which leads to deficiency. Besides Celiac disease there are many other reasons for malabsorption of B-12. Autoimmune PA, diet low in B-12, gastric bypasss, malabsorption syndromes i.e., PPI's, gastritis and other diseases. You can have IDA and PA at the same time too. I would ask for a B-12 and Folate test for sure. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 03-29-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
    vtgrl
    (female)

vtgrl HB User

Thanks for the info. I am curious as to how I can have what seems to be a low RBC count with normal Hgb and Hct... Does that mean there is more Hgb per cell? If so, is it all usable? I am just wondering if my effective Hgb is less since I have a low number of red cells.

Either way, I will got to the doc. I have been a lot in the past few years (went through a TON of stuff with a cardiologist before they figured out it was anemia!) and am hesitant to run back, but I really have been feeling draggy and my endurance has been dropping. Maybe it is the ferritin more than anything that is affecting me, though. I am not sure of the consequences of low RBC count alone.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

vtgrl--Your doctor needs to determine why your RBC and Ferritin are on the low end. Have you ever been diagnosed with a cause for your past anemia? Until you fix the problem it will keep happening. I think that ferritin has many symptoms although not all docs agree on that issue. Anemia is a symptom of something going on in the body not a disease in itself. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread