It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Will iron levels go up if i dont take tablets

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
    blonco33
    (female)

blonco33 HB User
    Will iron levels go up if i dont take tablets

I have no idea what my levels are all doc said was you are slightly low on iron and gave me iron tablets to take 3 a day ferrous sulphate 200mg. they upset my tummy if i dont take them will my own body bring my levels up . i have horrible symptoms very dizzy breathless and oh so very tired .thanks for any help blonco33

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Will iron levels go up if i dont take tablets

I also had a very hard time when I first started iron supplements and ended up in the ER. I was told by two docs including my Hematologist to just get iron through food. So, I guess that it can be done but I wouldn't want to be the one to try it. I am not able to get enough through my food let alone iron supplements, but that is my own situation. If you feel that bad you probably need supplements in addition to diet. I would ask the doc for a better iron like a script for you. There are many different kinds of iron you just have to keep trying until you find one that works for you. I take Poly Iron 150 and have no S/E's with it. It is available at the pharmacy but is OTC. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

FLFLOWERGIRL, I am wondering what your thoughts/opinions are about chelated iron. I was miserable with heartburn on ferrous gluconate and ferrous fumarate. I am trying to avoid ferrous sulfate because it has such a bad rap. I did a search on chelated iron (or ferrous bisglycinate) both on this board and on the internet and I find a mixed bag of opinions on it. It doesn't hurt my stomach at all, but then I also start to wonder if its because it's not working. Dunno.

The proof of course will be when I next do my blood draws. But I can also say I feel pretty darn good lately. I haven't had a single heart flutter since taking it.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

ChickieLou--I know how you feel because everyone has their own opinion and level of sensitivity. I really think you just have to try it to know. I don't know anything about this form of iron. I have read that it is an ionic iron too, like FS but don't know the difference. Ionic iron, iron salts is Ferris Sulfate, Fumarate, Ferris Gluconate, Ferris Bis-glycinate, that is what I have read.

If it doesn't bother you, your lucky to have found something. Just because it doesn't bother you really doesn't mean it's not working, but I understand why you might think that. And...if you feel good that is your best test of all.

I take small amounts of gluconate in my multi and that amount doesn't bother me. The amount taken is also something to consider.

I also take a Poly Iron Complex, PIC=A Non Ionic Synthetic iron surrounded by a complex of carbohydrates. I have no side effects from it at all. I have also read that tannins and phytates don't interact with this form of iron either. I wonder about that.

The reason that I give Ferris Sulfate a bad rap is because I was on it 3X daily and it killed me, gave me enteritis for 3 months (the GI doc couldn't fix me) and I ended up in the ER. Glad you are feeling well. FLFLOWERGIRL

Last edited by FLFLOWERGIRL; 04-03-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

Gosh, where will this board take me next? Fascinating stuff. I searched around and found a bunch of stuff on my iron supplement that says the same thing about it being good to take with foods high in phytates. In fact, it says to take it with food on the bottle which I have been doing, so I am assuming there are no concerns with this. The other ones I tried said to take on an empty stomach. No can do.

I jotted your iron down for the future. Supplements of all kinds seem to have an effect on me in that if they aren't the kind that kill my stomach immediately, the stomach effects build up until I am suddenly miserable from them about 3 months later. This one could still be a time-bomb for me. You never know.

All doctors seem to want to put patients on ferrous sulfate. It's so unimaginative to just send people out to the store to get this when it has such heinous effects on the stomach and there are others that might work as well. My doctor said "just do the best you can on it, even if you can only take it every other day". That right there scared me.

I'll mention something else to people that I discovered. The first two iron supplements that bothered my stomach were purchased at a major healthy grocery store chain which I won't name. But as it turns out, they take back supplements that don't agree with people or you just can't take for whatever reason -- even when they are opened and used. Since this stuff is very expensive as well as potentially dangerous to children to have around the house and should not be disposed of down the drains, this is very good to know. So, I guess for those that buy their supplements at the local healthy grocery chain, ask if they have such a return policy so you can try different things until you find one that doesn't wreck your stomach. It was nice to get my $56 back.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChickieLou View Post
    I jotted your iron down for the future. Supplements of all kinds seem to have an effect on me in that if they aren't the kind that kill my stomach immediately, the stomach effects build up until I am suddenly miserable from them about 3 months later. This one could still be a time-bomb for me. You never know.
    I can't say enough ~good things~ about the Poly Iron 150. I don't know what else they would have tried for me. I was already set up to get the IV and at the last minutes my Hgb creaped up a little so the doc let me do the supplements. I was way too ill to have had IV and I know that for a fact. It really is hard for some people to find an iron supplement that they can tolerate. Then there are the lucky ones that have no reactions. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread