It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• 3 month update - Ferritin is now 7

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User
    3 month update - Ferritin is now 7

Last Dec, my ferritin was 2 and my Hemoglobin is 8.9.

My ferritin is now 7 and my Hemoglobin is 12.7 (yay!)

Going from 2 to 7 in three months -- could I have done better? Or will my ferritin start going up faster now that my hemoglobin is normal?

I am a little frustrated with my dr (pcp), however, as she doesn't believe that low ferritin means low energy. She says I'm not anemic anymore and I have enough blood circulating now and that means lack of energy is coming from depression.

On the positive side, she's ok with me not taking bcps as my hemoglobin is normal.

I guess I'll just have to keep taking iron.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: 3 month update - Ferritin is now 7

Yes it can take that long for the ferritin to rise. My stayed in the 5-12 range for a LONG time. Once you get your hemoglobin up to very healthy ranges, the ferritin will start to pick up more quickly.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:49 AM   #3
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User

Thanks Christine!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
    sfish2257
    (female)

sfish2257 HB User

My doc is the same. I went and saw an Endocrinologist and he was very helpful. I'm suppose to take bc pills for heavy bleeding but don't really want too. I'm only on week two of iron, mt ferritin was 8 but I had very bad dizziness, still do. I hope mine goes up soon, I hate how I feel!! Thats why I don't really want to introduce bc pill too, they always made me feel horrible!!! Good luck! Have you noticed you feel any better after 3 months on iron??

Last edited by sfish2257; 04-07-2008 at 07:03 AM. Reason: forgot question

Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User

Quote:
    Have you noticed you feel any better after 3 months on iron??
    Yes. I don't get breathless on the stairs ... I'm even imagining exercising. (Hope I can actually do it). I've been waking up a tiny bit more rested. And I feel that there's more of me here now (hard to explain -- I was feeling before like I was just fading).
    So I definitely think I am improving.

I totally get not wanting to go on the pill!

So sorry you have been feeling so dizzy. Also try to incorporate as much iron into your diet as possible -specially from meat sources, as they contain heme iron, which is absorbed better.

Last edited by ajpa; 04-07-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajpa View Post
    Last Dec, my ferritin was 2 and my Hemoglobin is 8.9.

My ferritin is now 7 and my Hemoglobin is 12.7 (yay!)

I am a little frustrated with my dr (pcp), however, as she doesn't believe that low ferritin means low energy. She says I'm not anemic anymore and I have enough blood circulating now and that means lack of energy is coming from depression.
    Did she bother to look at the size of your blood cells that carry oxygen? Because this make a difference too. And, it takes longer for them to go back to normal range even after the anemia itself is resolved. That is what happened to me. At least I had one doctor explain that to me. And....yes, lack of energy is related to a low ferritin in my book. Everytime my ferritin takes a 10-20 jump I feel sooooooooo much better. My GYN also stated that she was ~unaware~ that there were symptoms with a low ferritin. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
    Did she bother to look at the size of your blood cells that carry oxygen? Because this make a difference too. And, it takes longer for them to go back to normal range even after the anemia itself is resolved. That is what happened to me. At least I had one doctor explain that to me. And....yes, lack of energy is related to a low ferritin in my book. Everytime my ferritin takes a 10-20 jump I feel sooooooooo much better. My GYN also stated that she was ~unaware~ that there were symptoms with a low ferritin. FLFLOWERGIRL
    Hi Flowergirl, sorry I missed replying to this.
    No, she hasn't had any test done on the size of my blood cells. Do you happen to know what that's called? (Just curious)

Thanks so much for sharing that info.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

It is the MCV value as part of the CBC. My cells were Few Mycro and Few Hypo and Few Ovalocyte, size and shape. You can do a search on this and find out a lot of info if you are interested. My MCV was 65 low and the bottom range for lab value on this was 80. My Endo told me that I had a severely low number. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-29-2008, 03:25 AM   #9
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

Don't you just love the way a lot of doctors find it easiest to pigeon hole everything into the "your depressed" slot. If i had a dollar for every time i've read a post where doctors are saying a patient is simply depressed or is wishing them to go onto antidepressants........

When your iron levels drop to such a low figure it can be quite common for it to take ages for it to climb. I was taking your basic over the counter iron supplement (small dosage) and it took me a year to get from 8 to 14. Waaaaaaay to long according to the new doctor i ended up seeing. He put me on a MUCH higher dosage of iron supplement and made sure i was taking Lysine with it for maximum benefit. Once i began the higher dosage of iron supplementation, along with the Lysine, it took me another year to get from 14 to 61. I hoverered in the 20's for quite a lot of that time, which seems to be common.

Don't expect to feel too good too soon and you have to remember that everybody is an individual. Even when my ferretin was in the 20's i was still tired. Wasn't until it got into the 30's and close to 40 that i personally began to feel better.

You wont feel better right away as your iron stores firstly go to vital areas of the body eg: bone marrow and muscles. Areas like hair and energy get it last and only get what is left over. If there is none left over then they miss out till your reserves build even higher.

Take care not to drink caffeinated beverages within 2hrs of taking your iron med's. Certain foods and drinks will affect your iron absorbtion.

Don't overdo the exercise. When your iron is extremely low you don't have as much oxygen. Too much exercise at this point will only tire you even more.

Make certain your doctor checks your B12, vitamin D, iodine, zinc, selenium and whatever else is possible. I was below low in my vitamin d and iodine, which can be common, yet some doctors out there don't bother checking.

Lastly, if your iron is taking forever to work it's way up over too long a period, look at what could be causing this. I only found out earlier this year that i was gluten intolerant, i had a thyroid condition called Hashimoto's, my pancrease wasn't releasing the required amount of enzyme to digest protein hence iron dropping as particularly meat products simply fermented in my body and also i had adrenal fatigue which contributed to my tiredness as did the thyroid condition. I spent too much time focusing on the iron, but other things can lead to same symptoms.

Closed Thread