It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• visit with new hematologist, nothing new

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
    DeeM40
    (female)

DeeM40 HB User
    visit with new hematologist, nothing new

OKay, one full year since this started with iron deficiency anemia. my hemoglobin went up (to an AWESOME 11!!!!!!!!! from 8.6) BUt, the iron levels are creeping up. I have been on 365 iron 3X day since about October.

This new hematologist at Univ Penn says, you are severely anemic, keep taking the iron for like a year. end of story.

okay, still feeling like crap. do you mean to tell me i could take almost a year to feel like a normal person.

i am goign to ob/gyn next week to see if i should be on BCP. the thing that scares me is the hormones and increased risk of breast cancer with certain BCP. My mother and twin sister have breast cancer (and my grandmother and my aunt and my cousin)...craaaaaaaazy

anyway, i have had endometriosis and a history of fibroids, but had an ultrasound an NO fibroids in there. my period is heavy for 2 days then it is almost gone. i am 40, maybe i am starting menopause? should i ask my ob for hormone testing?

i just dont know where to go from here. I am on a prozac type medicine for PMDD and one day out of hte blue I was SO depressed, dont kown where it came from, extremeely irritable and crying. it lasted like 3 days getting a little better each day. it scares me that i am on medication and can still feel like this.

okay, i am rambling. sorry ladies, this board is wonderful. thanks for "listening" and ANY help or advice you can give.

Dee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: visit with new hematologist, nothing new

I understand your fears on the risk of BCPs. When you see you GYN, ask about having a Mirena IUD implated. It doesn't have the risks of BCP but it is a "procedure." My cousin who is 45 has had one for 5 years now due to heavy periods and she loves it. Says her period is almost non-existant.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

Christine, I looked on line at Mirena and it releases hormones, even though it is an IUD. Does your cousin have a different kind that doesn't release hormones? I am very curious about this because at some point I am going to want to be off the BCPs. It's fine for now, but not something I'd like to be on forever.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

DeeM40--I just wanted to say that 8.6 is low and a difficult place to come from because it takes sooooo very long to build. I had heavy periods for 3 days per month. I had an ablation in June and it was uphill from there. This is indeed the ~BEST~ thing that I have ever done for myself. It has taken me longer than normal to raise my Hgb due to iron malabsorption from Nexium (long term use). I also had an US done and there were no abnormal findings. When I had the procedure, there were 7 polyps in the uterus causing the heavy bleeding that were removed. You might ask your GYN about this too or what doesn't show that may be causing a problem.

Congrats on the 11 Hgb, I think that with your numbers, and the amount of iron that you are on you will start to feel better soon. I would give it a little more time. Anemia magnifies any conditions that you are already predisposed to. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
    DeeM40
    (female)

DeeM40 HB User

Thanks,
    Flowergirl, I will ask about the ablation, i have heard of it but dont know details, risks, benefits, etc. anything you feel like sending my way would be so awesome.

i just want to make sure that i am not fighting an uphill battle and if the heavy periods are causing this, then i need to deal with that WHILE i am on all this iron.

thanks so much,
    DEE

Old 04-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

DeeM40--I just posted my experience on another post by ChickieLou so you can read that one. I was NOT able to make up my mind to have the procedure until one of my doctors said, it's going to be either a blood transfusion OR ablation. That was what I needed to hear then I knew that I did NOT have a choice in the matter. It had to be done and I so glad becaue they found and removed 7 polyps which were the problem. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread