It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• What's optimal for Ferritin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #1
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Post What's optimal for Ferritin?

I spoke with my GI office today to get an answer as to what is optimal for a female ferritin. The answer was 50 and anything over that can cause you to get red spots on your chest, a sign a too much ferritin. Iam now waiting to see if they will do malabsorption tests on me so that I know to what degree this is happening. That depends on the doctor as to whether he will run this for me or not, this is his forte'.

Next, I went to the Endo today, and I am Hyper 0.16 Tsh (great, first time experience), that's why I have had an increase in my energy. I felt like I had low blood sugar but knew that was not the case , it was hyper mode. I asked him what is optimal for a female and his answer was 40 or 50-100 and went on to say that he is not well versed in what the ferritin should be to be optimal. At least neither doctor today said your "within range" I think I would have screamed!

Both of these docs work within the same group and have been communicating about my case, I just found that out too, interesting. The other doc had told me that I was a high risk and at one time wouldn't treat me any longer. I guess that I have been told a lot of things throughout this anemia experience. I think they are afraid of me now. I think that is why I have to take Xanax to see these guys. Be well. FLFLOWERGIRL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: What's optimal for Ferritin?

My endo told me that he likes to see women at a minimum of 50 and then he's happy.

I know my friend has a ferritin of 75. She no longer has a period but doesn't eat much meat and no bleeding issues. So, that's kind of her ferritin level "naturally." I can assure you that she doesn't have red spots on her chest!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Christine--Neither did my husband at almost 3,000 ferritin. The MA said that. But the doctor always looks around the top chest area, and that is what he is looking for. Don't know why he would think that I would have a high ferritin?

Wouldn't it have been nice to know what our ferritin was (baseline), before we became ill? I would love to have that info. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-11-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
    ajpa
    (female)

ajpa HB Userajpa HB User

Quote:
    I think they are afraid of me now.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:12 AM   #5
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

FLFLOWERGIRL - just checked my chest and no red spots and my ferretin was at 61 on the 2nd of February 2008

I wouldn't say every single female out there will get red spots if the ferretin gets over 50. Some females might, but then again it's likely an individual thing.

I'm only taking my iron supplement once per day now and there are the odd days i forget or don't get around to taking it. I had another blood test done yesterday and will be interesting to see where i'm at. I should hopefully be at that over 70 target and if that is the case i'll simply take the iron 2 or 3 times per week, just to keep it up until i get all my med's sorted out for the protein processessing/pancreas problem, adrenal malfunction and the T3 for the thryoid. Maybe when i'm up and running then the iron will absorb naturally......then again,i forgot to discuss my gluten issue with the doc yesterday......the list seems to be endless!!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
    littlebunnyfoo
    (female)

littlebunnyfoo HB User

Flowergirl - what did they say you were at "high risk" for?

I wish I knew the answer to your ferritin question. According to most doctors if you have 10, you're fine

Old 04-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Littlebunnyfoo--They didn't know what was wrong because I was so ill. Nothing ever showed up on any tests other than ANEMIA. This guy said that his practice was full and he didn't need this, that is when he called me at home. He said I'm really not blowing you off, I not taking the risk. This is when he sent me to a Hematologist. He didn't want to take the risk of iron injections because I had a history of bad reactions with the ferris sulfate and another med that he gave me for the enteritis that I had 3 mo. He also said, he thought that the IV iron was too dangerous to try and did not agree with that form of therapy. What a mess I went through, glad that's behind me.

As for the GYN she also stated that I was high risk because of the H hernia and anemia. I think that when they intubate you it can rupture the esophagus due to the hiatal hernia.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey--I have been reading articles and came across one that talks about the pancreas and malabsorption. I thought of you when I saw that list, you were right there on it. Also, Hypothyroid was on the list too. Very interesting what you may find out there. The only problem is what can you believe? You can search and find any/many answers to the same problems, it's a little crazzzzzzzzzzzzy out there.

About the spots, I think that a 50 ferritin is a little low, I don't know what to think about that anymore. When my ferritin reaches a good number I will then try to cut down on the iron and have regular blood tests done to make sure my numbers don't go down. The Endo asked if there was someone monitoring my blood because of the concern of HH on long term iron and I said yes, I AM. He gave me a funny look but it's the truth! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-16-2008, 01:21 AM   #9
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

FLFLOWERGIRL - see, that's the problem, who can you fully trust to monitor anything when conflicting answers keep being given. The medical profession can't even get together and give a uniform answer on what ferretin level does the body perform best. I can see in some situations perhaps a too high ferretin could cause problems with another health issue, but if there are no other serious health issues then i'd say a higher ferretin wouldn't be harmful. I'd be happy sitting at 70. My Trichologist still recommends that my ferretin be between 100 - 125, but then my issues are different to yours. Now that i'm on the T3 meds it's harder as i have to take them twice per day at the moment, so i do that morning and night and take the iron at lunch time.

I too did some research on the pancreatic enzymes last night. I never even realised what a big job the pancrease performs. I simply thought it regulated blood sugars and had something to do with diabetes.

I guess all these health issues are teaching all of us about our bodies and which organs do what.

The only thing i do know is that the majority of people on this board don't have simple plain old low iron issues. Majority of people are only dealing with low iron as a side issue and there are other things going on, but what those other things are is a mystery for most of us. It's good that we can all post our progress as it gives ideas to other on what other areas to check up on, especially if their doctor isn't willing to offer possible suggestions.

When your Endo asked whether someone was monitoring your blood you ought to have asked ' are you offering???'. LOL

Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 AM   #10
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-- That is why they say that anemia is a symptom not a disease. That statement is oh so true. I have read and been told that many times but never realized how it would come to life for me. Heavy periods is just way too easy, isn't it? If that were the ONLY problem I would have been well last June. Here comes June again already, that's way too fast. I must add...... that yesterday was the beginning of my monthly period and I had my 3 spots and I'm finished. My DH asked me if I had the one tampon for this month, LOL. Befoe I needed a super box of 40+, with pads and towels. Sorry if thats TMI. Thank you GOD for ablations! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #11
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

Yeah, and then add to that when you go in COMPLAINING about horrible periods for years, you test mildly anemic in addition for years, and they don't do anything until you complain of symptoms of anemia.

I've decided my doctor has this strange pattern of diagnosis and treatment. She treats the problem finally, but then while she is treating it, she also puts me through more tests. Like now, she is finally treating the anemia, but she thought the heart flutter was indicative of something with my heart. I'll bet the house I'm sitting in that it was anemia and I've had no symptoms since starting treatment. I'm going to insist that it was all caused by anemia when I see her again so we can avoid the holter monitor and all that she has cooking in her brain to put me through. I'm sort of surprised at how there is a general assumption by MDs that people can live just fine with mild anemia and not feel crummy.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

When I finally started complaining that I thought I was anemic 3 years ago that doc, GYN, ran a blood test. He was a rather smart guy and also ran a TSH and Cholesterol at the same time WOW. I ended up not being anemic but with a HGB of 13.?? and Hypothyroid and high cholesterol which go hand in hand. I was referred to an Endo and found out at my first visit that I had Hashi's, he was smart too and did an US at the first visit, then blood testing confirmed his DX. But, I think that I was Hypo for many, many years prior. Something should have been done about the heavy bleeding 3 years ago but I was only offered the BC which I have never been on in my life and won't go that route. I had no idea at that time about ablations. And, I really didn't consider a D & C which might have been a good option at that point, but the doc didn't bring it up. Now, I am a whole ~new type~ of patient, proactive! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-18-2008, 05:49 AM   #13
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChickieLou - that's what gets me too....the fact it takes YEARS to get to the bottom of it all. Ive been deep in thought the last couple of days regarding my situation and it's depressed me thinking how many more years would it have taken for doctors to find out what was wrong with me? During my autopsy after i've dropped dead!!!! I was so fortunate i found the doctor i did find and i even found him on the net!! Thank God for the internet or should that be 'Thank God for giving some computer geek the intelligence to come up with the internet'

FLFLOWERGIRL - i guess you have to look on the bright side, at least you are doing something about your iron and it has gone up, which must be doing great things for the rest of your body. My doctor always did say that the better your iron levels the better it was for your thyroid and for everything else. Now that you are 'nearly' in the clear in the iron department, this will leave you with more time to focus on the 'other' things. The iron seems to be the starting point for all of us and after a while we discover new things or reasons why the iron dropped in the first place. Guess we'll be kicking around on this board for a long time yet. Kind of like being at a good party and being the last stragglers to leave.........

Back to a serious question......you mentioned in one of your replies that your sister had a same/similar problem to me regarding enzyme problems and not digesting protein. Has your sister had to stay on enzymes for life or does the pancreas ever self correct? How soon did it take for her hair to start getting back to normal? It's just that i'm realising what a pain it is to be taking so many meds every single day now. I've even totally lost my appetite. I'm thinking it could be due to the thyroid meds, unless it's the cortisol i'm taking for my adrenal function or maybe reality has hit me as finding out that i don't only have the thyroid problem, but the other two things has kind of gotten me down. I guess it will take me a week or so to get into the swing of things.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #14
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Audrey-B View Post
    FLFLOWERGIRL - Back to a serious question......you mentioned in one of your replies that your sister had a same/similar problem to me regarding enzyme problems and not digesting protein. Has your sister had to stay on enzymes for life or does the pancreas ever self correct? How soon did it take for her hair to start getting back to normal?
    Audrey-- In my sisters case she had GB. They do not get enough of what they need i.e., B-12, iron, micro nutrients, protein and such. Therefore, her hair was falling out due to a lack of protein. It wasn't until the second year that her hair went back to normal. At first I thought she was going to be bald. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 AM   #15
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I always found it odd that i had sufficient B12, but not other things. There are so many facets to having low iron and all the other side effects and everybody appears to suffer in varying ways depending on what's causing the low iron in the first place. As for the hair, i'm not expecting it to change over night. Even if they have found the cause i know it will take months and months or even at least a year.

I'm feeling a little better being on all these new med's. Bit of nuisance having to take so much stuff and remembering what to take, when to take it. It will take me ages to get used to the Hashi's i think. One night i get a good sleep and the next i'm tired, but 'wired' and can't fall asleep and the next day i anticipate being tired but i've got so much energy. Bit of a roller coaster at this stage.

The cortisol tablets for the adrenal fatigue has cleared the fog in my head, which is an amazing relief. Now when i get tired it's simply a tired feeling or a tired behind the eyes feeling.

How's your iron going, have you been retested?

Hope all is well, take care

Closed Thread