It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• anaemia symptons??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #1
    chirpy1982
    (female)

chirpy1982 HB User
    Question anaemia symptons??

I have been getting really red and hot cheeks every day around teatime, It seems to have started around the time i started with anaemia, Is this a sympton or has anyone else had this? I have tried different face redness creams etc but they don't work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: anaemia symptons??

I have not had this with my anemia that I know of. Sometimes my face is red but it doesn't last. I think that mine is thyroid relate maybe. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 05-28-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
    yacht4u
    (male)

yacht4u HB User

FLFlowergirl..........For the last several years I have had a total loss of energy. I need to take a nap everyday etc. I am a very active 67 year old and this napping interferes with my lifestyle. Also I just cant seem to lose any weight. I am 5'10 and 230 pounds. I feel like a slug even though I don't eat much more then my wife. MY doctor tested my testostorone and found that the level was very low. He put me on an injection 1/month. This alleviated the symptoms slightly but really has not helped much

Recently I was told that my B12 was low. The range on the blood test said 200-1100. My B12 was 180 which is just slightly off the low end. Is it that bad??

After doing some research, I think this defeciancy was caused by the fact that I have been taking Prilosec for a mild form of gastritis for about 3 years now and these meds interfere with absorbtion I am told.

They have perscribed B12 injections. One/week for a month and then 1/month after that. I think the dose is 1 ml for each injection.

On the blood test they did not test Feritin...
    WBC white blood cells??) 4.77 (4 to 11)
    RBC 4.72 (4.4 to 5.9)
    HGB (?) 16 (13.4 to 17.5)
    If these are my blood cell count, I am in normal range right?

Other things I noticed on the lab report that were out of range. I have no idea what these things are.
    PLT 117 (140 - 400)
    MCV 100.8 (82 - 98)
    MCH 33.9 (27 - 33)
    ALK PHO 43 (50 - 136)

Will the B12 give me some energy?
    Thanks

Old 05-28-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

At 180, your B12 is low, and I'm glad your dr is giving you shots. Your MCV is out of range, which tells you something is amiss. You should also supplement with sublingual B12. It's a dissolvable tablet that goes under your tongue. You should also have your folic acid levels checked.

Low B12 causes so many symptoms. Some people don't realize they are related - like dizziness, muscle jerks, headaches, joint pain, numb limbs, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath.

It takes awhile to get your levels up. In the meantime, make sure you get lots of potassium in your diet - that helps the B12 convert into usable energy.

Jill

Old 05-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

[QUOTE=yacht4u;3585419]
    Recently I was told that my B12 was low. The range on the blood test said 200-1100. My B12 was 180 which is just slightly off the low end. Is it that bad??
    [B]I am not B-12 deficient myself. I can tell you that a friend of mine is B-12 def. and also has IDA. She has many of the same symptoms as I do even after her IDA is in check and her B-12 is somewhere around 500 now, but with a low ferritin remaining. I'm sure you have read 200 is the bottom where the doctors will treat you with injections. I cannot imagine having a B-12 so low. I do think this would be an undesirable thing to have, especially after reading what the people here say about their experience. When I was dx'd with iron deficiency anemia my B-12 count was 832. I do however take a B-12 complex (sublingual) for energy because I saw that my B-12 dropped slightly in a 6 month period. It helps me so much, I love it!! [B]

After doing some research, I think this deficiency was caused by the fact that I have been taking Prilosec for a mild form of gastritis for about 3 years now and these meds interfere with absorption I am told.
    From what I have read B-12 usually is NOT a problem with the ~long term~ use of PPI's, but it can happen. I think in your case, maybe age is a factor along with gastritis (that can also be contributed to age) and these two things are contributing to deficiency not so much the PPI. Although it may be the problem, I can't tell you that.

On the blood test they did not test Feritin...I would ask for a ferritin check just to be on the safe side and also it will give you a baseline for your future. I wish I would have known about ferritin, but I had to find out from the Internet. Also you should have your folate checked if not already.

HGB (?) 16 (13.4 to 17.5)
    If these are my blood cell count, I am in normal range right?
    Yes, you are in normal range. Not only are you in normal range but you are at ~optimal~ Hgb count for a male, so you look really good according to that figure. What is your HCT value and lab range? Your H & H values are used to calculate anemia.

Other things I noticed on the lab report that were out of range. I have no idea what these things are.
    MCV 100.8 (82 - 98)
    MCH 33.9 (27 - 33)
    The only thing I can comment on about this is the fact that your MCV and MCH are a higher value which is often times associated with a B-12 deficiency. B-12 deficiency is larger cells, and higher MCV.

Will the B12 give me some energy?
    When you replenish your B-12 stores, which takes time, you should feel well and have energy from that being corrected. If you still feel bad then you know to start looking for other reasons. Keep us posted! FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread