It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• odd question..ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
    StephRabin
    (female)

StephRabin HB User
    odd question..ferritin

I have been feeling terrible for a long time. I had a baby four and a half months ago, had a c section and bled for a long time after that. I was VERY sick during the pregnancy...rapid heartbeat, exhausted, dizzy, etc. During the pregnancy my hemoglobin was tested at 11 (only slightly low)...

ANyway, since the birth, I am still feeling low of energy, shakey, numb, dizzy, lightheaded, losing hair TREMENDOUSLY, and many other undescribable symptoms...

I went to an endo because I thought it was all related to my post pregnancy hormones...All is well EXCEPT my ferritin was a 1....yes, just 1...

The doctor didnt even call me to tell me this is not good. I obtained my results online and CALLED THEM. A nurse called to tell me to see my primary care about the iron deficiency.

So, I saw a primary care last week who told me my symptoms were not from the low ferritin and only low hemoglobin causes yucky symptoms. He told me to take twice the iron that I am (I am taking 325 of ferrous gluconate, but can't stomache twice that much). He was kind of an idiot and I didnt feel like he was focused on me...

ANyway, I have been taking the iron for 8 days and still feel terrible. My son's ped told me I should feel better right away.

My other question, is aside from always feeling bad, I get these attack-like symptoms that come about every couple of weeks. First, I get SUPER lightheaded, my vision gets all weird, I cant pay attention, I feel like I am on some sort of weird drug, and when I move my head fast, it takes a minute to focus again..Then, I get these physical symptoms where I feel like I want to jumo out of my skin...almost like an anxiety attack, but Im not anxious. Then, when I try to sleep that night, my body keeps lurching back awake in an anxiety-like state even though Im not anxious...

Has anyone ever heard of this? It takes about a full day to recover from this cycle-attack thing...then I feel hungover for a day or two and then I go back to my 'normal' feelings of exhaustion, etc.

Can this all be related to the low ferritin? Of course, I am scared to dealth i have chronic fatigue or MS or something worse... It just weird that it comes on like an attack...

The doc said I didnt need infusions and that I could build the iron back up in my blood with the ferrous gluconate...please help me...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
    Kiwilily
    (female)

Kiwilily HB User
    Re: odd question..ferritin

I am sorry you are feeling so poorly especially with a new baby. Did your doctor check your CBC to see if you were still anemic? I only saw that you had a HgB of 11 during your pregnancy. Were you taking a prenatal vitamin during your pregnancy?

I have never found a doctor or any medical paper that indicates that a low ferritin causes symptoms in a person but anemia does. I did see one study that said that a low ferritin caused female athletes to have decreased performance even though they were not anemic. I know that many people with a low ferritin, without anemia, say that they feel unwell. I can tell, physically, when mine is dropping below 10 even before my blood work is back.

Being pregnant can definitely deplete your iron stores and it takes many months to build them back up. You will not feel better in 10 days. My hematologist told me that it would take 6 months to build up my iron stores, when I was first started on oral iron. In fact, the doctor said it was not necessary to check my CBC and ferritin until I had been on the iron, religiously, for the 6 months .

Could you go see your OB/GYN and have him/her check you out since your PCP was not very helpful? Your pregnancy was very recent and you did have bleeding. Good luck and congratulations on your new little baby.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

steph iv had problems with low ferretin for a few years now,due to heavy periods(fibroids) ferretin constantly going up and down,i also have same symptoms as you,bad consantration,vision problems,head pressure,light sensativityand lots more,i have had fibroids sorted out so i should soon see ferretin go up,my doc now thinks symptoms are silent migrains,and put me on meds for that,i will have to wait and see,building your iron stores takes a long time,months,all the best,shirley

Old 05-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #4
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Everything you are feeling can definitely be attributed to low ferritin. I don't care what the doctors or studies say. In fact, I think the studies are terribly lacking and they don't really know. Heck, most doctors don't feel that low ferritin is even an issue as long as your CBC numbers are good.

I can tell you that when my ferritin was 5 and my hemoglobin was 11.7 (or is that hematocrit--I never remember), I felt AWFUL. I had lots of panic attacks when I wasn't feeling anxious over anything. I had many dizzy spells or feeling like I was walking on a sailboat. It was awful. My doctors told me that they didn't know why.

Also, it will take much longer than "right away" for the iron to work. Think "several months" and maybe you will start to come out of it.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

Also, have them check your B12 levels. When my B12 levels were low, my hands and feet would go numb, and that hasn't happened to me since they corrected that.

Does anyone else have numbness with low ferritin?

Jill

Old 05-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I can say that I never had numbness with low ferritin.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
    moommin
    Veteran
    (female)

moommin HB User

hi i have numbness,in my hands every morning when i wake up,,doc said to many pillows could course this,i find it bad when im due for my periods.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
    kw123
    Veteran
    (female)

kw123 HB User

I also have numb arms when I wake in the morning. This is the only time I get it.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Okay, well I've had the numb hands and arms at night and in the morning but I never attributed to iron deficiency (and it hasn't improved either with my iron levels). I have read that this is caused by sleep position an compression on nerves.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #10
    plant
    (female)

plant HB User

I've been through a year of treatment for low B-12, which stopped the numbness in my arms and feet.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
    diamond79
    Veteran
    (female)

diamond79 HB User

I can definately sympathize with you. You sound exactly like what I was going through just after my son was born. I would have dizzy spells, anxiety like attacks, confusion, lack of energy, out of breath just going from one room to another in my house, racing heart, cold all the time and trouble sleeping due to weird anxiety-like attacks that would keep waking me up. I had many, many tests done and finally I told the doc. to check my vitamins (due to tingling hands and feet). Came back my Ferritin was a 7 (supposedly wasn't anemic though). He put me on 300 mg of Ferrous Gluconate twice a day. I didn't start to feel better for about 7 or 8 months of being on the iron. I think I posted on this board a while back frustrated that after 6 months I still felt like crap....but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. After almost a year of being on iron I can say ALOT has improved. I no longer have the dizziness, anxiety attacks, confusion. I do still have days where I wake up and my energy level is close to none and the weird sleeping problems every once in a while. But I am happy I can actually enjoy my kids again instead of laying on the couch feeling like death!
    Congrats on your baby. I wish you and your family all the best and hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread