It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• New Here... some questions...???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
    xtine03
    Inactive
    (female)

xtine03 HB User
    New Here... some questions...???

Hi Everyone,

i don't know if I'm anemic or what.... but for the last 6 months or so I've had low iron. I don't have all the numbers but my iron stores were like an 18, then down to 15 now at 9.

I was taking supplements on and off but since my last check I've been trying to take them regularly. I tend to forget on the supplements since I have 2 small kids and most of my time is spent keeping them fed, busy and out of trouble.

Lately, I've noticed my heart feels very fluttery... it seems to beat fast and I can feel it where as most times I don't notice it. i've also been tired and short of breath.

Are all these symptoms of low iron?

I'm trying to build my iron back up but I'm not sure how much iron to take. All my doctor said was to take one supplement... I'm not sure if it's enough. I'm taking something I got at the healthfood store called 'easy iron' and I think it only has 18 MG of iron in it.

Any advice anyone has is greatly appriciated. I am really at the end of my rope as I've been dealing with some sort of ear/balance/dizzy issues since last summer and I really don't need anything else to go wrong with me.

Regards,
    Christine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
    irisheyes39
    (female)

irisheyes39 HB User
    Re: New Here... some questions...???

If you read the iron anemia posts here most would say that you have the symptoms definitely. I have a Ferritin of 9 and I am taking both iron and B12. I still feel tired but not as much, some days better than others. The heart flutter thing I was having alot, but since I have been taking the supplements I have not noticed it. In fact my heart rate went up to about 100 or so, which is out of the ordinary for me, and I did not feel a thing this time. There is a definite difference since I have been treating the anemia. You should get your B12 checked too.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #3
    StephRabin
    (female)

StephRabin HB User

All of your symptoms sound like low iron, including the dizzy balance thing... I have all the same as you and am tryin gto build my stores up. My ferritin was a 1...

I was taking 325 of ferrous gluconate one time a day. Doc told me to take it three times a day until my stores go up. I am also losing hair, but that has slowed down a bit. I think perhaps Im not sleeping because of Resltess legs and body due to low iron...

Please call your doc and ask for some prescription grade iron...any of the ferrous will be fine and ask the doc how much to take...

Old 06-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
    angel022605
    (female)

angel022605 HB User

I have been dealing with low iron for years. I take a multi vitamin that contains iron and it helps. To make sure you are getting enough iron take at least 18 mg(100%) of iron with food everyday.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
    SJLGI
    (female)

SJLGI HB User

Hi

I have low iron and I take Ferrous Fumarate 210mg three times a day so 630mg a day - 18mg seems very low. I would ask your doctor to prescribe you some iron tablet and recommend a dosage.

SJ

Old 06-11-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Check your bottles to see how much ~elemental iron~ you are actually getting because they can be misleading sometimes. For example, Ferris Sulfate bottles read 325mgs (something like that), but you are only getting 65 mgs of ~elemental iron~ from each tab. I took 300mgs of Poly Iron iron daily for a year but 630 sounds like alot to me. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 06-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
    SJLGI
    (female)

SJLGI HB User

My bottle just has a label printed by the pharmacy saying Ferrous fumarate 210mg tablets.

I've been taking 3 a day since september last year and haven't had any blood tests since.

Does this sound like too much or do you think it's not actually that much iron?

Sorry to highjack your post Christine.

SJ

Old 06-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
    angel022605
    (female)

angel022605 HB User

TY for the advice. I have tried Rx iron supplements and it did nothing but make my stomach hurt. I do much better with vitamins

Old 06-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

It does sound like alot but I'm leaning towards the fact that it may not be all elemental iron as the FS reads. The highest amount of iron supplements I have heard being taken on this board was Poly iron 150 3X daily which is 450mgs daily. I was completely out of iron and told 2 X daily which is 300mgs. I pay close attention to values and amounts that are supplemented. Before that post I think that I was the only one on high doses like that. Many people are recommended to take (at the most) 3 FS daily which is really 195mgs of iron. I'm sure there is always the exception. You might want to have a blood draw to see where you are at. I like to have one at least every 3 months. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 06-15-2008, 01:15 AM   #10
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

For the past month or so i've been on something called Ferro-f-tab which contains 100mg of elemental iron (310mg of ferrous fumarate). I'm due for a blood test in a couple of weeks so will see how i go.

A higher dosage is the way to go. Some of those over the counter products contain such a low amount of iron that you will only be torturing yourself and will go nowhere fast. I was on a liquid form for a whole year and my new doctor said i could triple the dosage and still wouldn't get anywhere in a hurry.

With high dose iron supplements, don't begin taking the high dose right away, instead build up from a lower dose to a higher dose gradually so your system gets used to it. If you get constipation you can buy stool softeners at your chemist. If you get the opposite of constipation and end up with irritable bowel you can take iron phosphate tablets with your iron supplements and this will settle your stomach.

Regular blood tests every few months is necessary so you can see what is going on.

If you are on a high dosage and your levels have not gone up after a while it could mean that the low iron is a symptom of something else wrong in your body.

Closed Thread