It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Frustrated by symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
    timetoreclaim
    (female)

timetoreclaim HB User
    Frustrated by symptoms

I last had labs drawn September of last year.

Low was
    Hemoglobin 11.2
    Hematocrit 35.7
    Mcv 74
    Mch 23.2
    Mchc 31.3

Not that low no but still they are.

The Doctor said these numbers would produce no symptoms.

I had and am getting worse now. Rapid heartbeat with exercise, extreme brain fog, and tired all the time, not sleepy tired but low energy tired.

Nothing else on my labs tested abnormal. Thyroid and hormones all within normal.

I don't know what to do. I just want to feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
    ChristineVA
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
    Re: Frustrated by symptoms

When doctors read their textbooks they are told that a person should feel fatigue and "symptoms" until they are moderately anemic. And maybe there are *some* people who don't.

I am one who did. I had a hemoglobin of 11.7 and I felt like I was losing my life. I hardly had any drive or ambition for my job anymore. It was all I could do to get up in the morning and get to work, where I would lazily sit at my desk all day. Only to come home and sit on the couch. I could no longer walk 3 miles a day, and, worst of all, I stopped shopping! Actually, a lot of this happened before my hemoglobin even got down that far. I was having symptoms when I was in the 12 range.

FINALLY, someone ran a ferritin test and my ferritin was at 5. Absolutely no iron stored in my bone marrow. I have spent the last two years SLOWLY raising my ferritin (and along with it my hemoglobin, hematocrit, etc). Even when my numbers got back in the normal levels, I didn't feel well. Still couldn't really exercise for any length of time. But other things improved--like the rapid heart rate.

Over the past 6 months, things have gotten markedly better, my ferritin is still on the lower side (at 29) but I am on my treadmill each night for 30 minutes and I even jog. I'm back to shopping at the mall every weekend and not having it wipe me out, and I started a new job in March that works my butt off and I can do it!!

So, there is hope and you are not crazy. Insist that your doctor run a ferritin and B12 test before you start taking anything so you will know for sure what is wrong. Once you know, you can take the appropriate supplements.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User
    Re: Frustrated by symptoms

Buy a multivitamin, such as Centrum, some 1000mcg B12 tabs, and some Iron tablets (the store brands of all these will be fine)

Take the iron and B12 on an empty stomach, with a glass of OJ the acidity and vitamin c increase the uptake of iron) , and the multi after food.

You should feel a lot better within a week or two, if the trouble is anaemia.

If not, no harm done, and only a few dollars spent.

Keep taking the supplements for a year, att at point, you can cut back to just the multi

Last edited by aussiejono; 06-10-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Closed Thread