It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Curious-Anyone have Blood Pressure problems? Associated with Anemia?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
    hannahhannah57
    (female)

hannahhannah57 HB User
    Curious-Anyone have Blood Pressure problems? Associated with Anemia?

Just curious, I am 33, always had great BP readings, until I found out I had anemia. During the Anemia process my BP was high, I was on iron supplements, my OBGYN never really said anything other than, that is high for you. I was having the rapid heart race etc., all associated with the anemia. My body was not absorbing the oral iron, so they referred me to a hematologist. My BP was high during my 2 visits to the hematologist, he commented on it, but that was it and I had iron IV in March. My follow up appt 4 wks later to the hematologist my BP was still high and he put me on meds.

I have felt bad the whole 30 days I have been on them, tired and dizzy, sick stomach. Well now my BP is too low and they want to see me. Could the anemia have caused a spike in my BP? maybe I never should have been put on meds?
    Anyone else have this experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User
    Re: Curious-Anyone have Blood Pressure problems? Associated with Anemia?

When I was at my lowest iron and ferritin levels, I had tachycardia and awful, inexplicable anxiety. If you have anxiety, it could be causing your BP to spike.

Once the iron began to raise my levels (and with other holistic help), my anxiety disappeared. You will find alot of people here have had to deal with anxiety caused by anemia along with a bunch of other symptoms. I don't know if BP will raise as a function of anemia.

Those are just my thoughts. Let's see what others say.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

hannah--I did exactly what you are saying. Same thing. I tried meds to for 30 days and had to stop because my BP also went too low. Now I am better and the problem has resolved. If I have anxiety it will go up but nothing like what was happening to me back then, it was very scary. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 06-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
    hannahhannah57
    (female)

hannahhannah57 HB User

Thank you, I think it is anxiety as well. I dont think I have chronic HBP. I did have increased anxiety levels during the anemia that does not seem to have diminished even after the iron treatment. I am going to request an anxiety medication rather than BP medicine.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

It also takes time even after the anemia for the blood cells to go back to normal size. It took me months because mine were severely small, MCV was 65. This means lack of oxygen (as you already know), and that I think makes the BP much worse. Even if I might have a small increase in BP, It is not bad. Before I thought that I was going to have a heart attack or something then the anxiety set it. They also scared me by putting me on meds, they said it might only be temp. but they too hurt my stomach and I couldn't do it. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
    Kiwilily
    (female)

Kiwilily HB User

I actually get hypotensive when my anemia gets bad. I am normally on BP medication but I have had to stop it while on this course of IV iron. I was having dizzy spells, almost to the point of passing out. My BP's were only 90/54 whenever I would check them. I found many medical sites that indicated that anemia could cause a low blood pressure. I always have the fast heart rate too.

Closed Thread