It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• verrry low Hemoglobin- due to heavy Per & NEXIUM???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
    thisoldsoul
    (female)

thisoldsoul HB User
    verrry low Hemoglobin- due to heavy Per & NEXIUM???

45 yo female - no children, overweight, taking nexium and wellbutrin

I was told I had a 7.4 Hemoglobin, MD sent me for transfusion which brought me up to 9.1. diagnosed as microcydic anemia

I have had heavier periods the older I get. Nnot lasting many days but bleeding bad the first few days (seeing blood cover the circle at bottom of toilet 2-3" diameter). then tapering to almost nothing. bleeding very heavy for 2 days. Passing clots - however no intermittent bleeding.

I have been on Nxxium 40 mg for 6+ years for reflux and gerd. I understand that can affect iron absorption, could that combined with the heavy periods each bring my hemogl down that much?

hemooccult x3 days was negative

Last US (transvag) showed possible fibroid. I am scheduled for a pelvic Us and colonoscopy.

Can the heavy periods combined with the nexium account for the count to be so low?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: verrry low Hemoglobin- due to heavy Per & NEXIUM???

thisoldsoul--Welcome to the boards! I would say YES! This sounds a lot like my story but I have just been at it a little longer. Your Hgb however was lower than mine. Mine was 8.5 when I was DX'ed so I just missed the blood transfusion by 1 1/2 points. I also had the Transvag US and it didn't show polyps which I had 7 and they were removed at the time of my endometrial ablation. The GYN said this was probably the cause as did my PCP, Hematologist and GI. Now 1 1/2 yrs later my Hgb is 14.4 but my ferritin is only 41 and I am not so pleased about this. I saw the GI again this year, he said this is ridiculous to only be a 43 (at that time) in the amount of time it took to get there. So he now thinks this is due to Nexium long term 8 yrs. another guess. Who really knows what and why?? I wonder about this all the time. Guess only time and more doctors opinions will tell. First, you do have to stop the blood loss that add to the problem no matter what it stems from and rule out all other reasons. Second, you have to build the Hgb to hit the non anemic stage and next the ferritin. What was your ferritin? What type of iron therapy are you on? Hope you are feeling a little better now. This is not a quick fix situation at all so be prepared to be patient. Keep us posted and ask any questions you like. There is a lot of experience on this board. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
    thisoldsoul
    (female)

thisoldsoul HB User
    more info

Thanks for your reply. I should have been more specific with the timelines. It was quite a shock....I went to the MD knowing something was wrong feeling just increasingly tired. For him to call and say I need a transfusion asap was scary. Glad I tolerated it. I had 2 units and came up just under 2 pts.

I had the trans vag us 12/06. That was the finding then - possible fibroid. I am scheduled for a regular pelvic US on Monday.

I also have lower left groin pain. Which is what I had the first vag US for. I have recently (past few mos) had the gastroscopy which showed no Barretts and no polyps. Whereas the first time I had a scope a few years back, a polyp was removed from my stomach.

People have been commenting to me for years for my addiction...to ice. I chew on ice like crazy. I mean 4-5 12oz cups from 8am to noon and usually 4 more before 4:30.

I am taking Feosol -one tablet after every meal. Just started 3 days ago. PCP mentioned it may be wise to get a blood test before and after period...but in the space of 7 days I had 5 vials drawn...seems I need my blood now. I had the transfusion 8 days ago. I am soon to have period so I wonder just how much I am going to go down and wondering if I should go in and get my blood taken tomorrow before I start the period.

My colonoscopy is mid July.

I am also increasingly gassy. I do feel a heaviness on the left side lower..by groin. Sometimes more aggravating than others, but not related to period cramps. LAst time at Gastro a few mos ago, I got prescribed clidinium..which I believe also could impact iron absorption. (gastro explained it to me as a combo med to both reduce anxiety and antispasmodic)
    This has me on Nexium, the iron, clidinium and wellbutrin.

If I have fibroids, I guess I can deal......but worried about the more serious stuff.

Not sure abut the ferritin, I can get a copy of my report to see.

Closed Thread