It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Increased saturation, but lower ferritin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #1
    mbbasketball
    (female)

mbbasketball HB User
    Increased saturation, but lower ferritin

So, just when I thought I was getting this whole ferritin story, I have stumped by my lastest labs.

My saturation% went from 15% and Ferritin level 86(post IV infusion)

Now 7months later, sat%40 and ferritin 60.

I would think that since my saturation % has increased, oh this has never happened except 6weeks post infusion, I would think that my ferritin levels would have increased or remain the same, 86?

I do not go back to my hematologist until Sept. At the rate I am going, I will be needing more infusions by Oct or sooner.

I am so glad that I did not listen to all the doctors who wanted to do a hysterectomy, they thought that was the cause of my iron deficiency. I haven't had a period for 7 months, but my ferritin is still dropping, so what gives?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Increased saturation, but lower ferritin

bbasketball--I hear you! I feel the same way and I did have a procedure. I couldn't understand why my periods were all of a sudden a problem when they have always been heavy and my body kept up with it. I suppose that it can keep up until the ferritin is gone. I am glad that I had it, it was one of the best things that I have ever done for myself. But a hysterectomy is pretty radical isn't it? And if you are no having periods I don't see a problem at all in that case. Sounds like a possible malabsorption issue. This was the last guess that they gave me. What is left if you are not losing blood and are receiving iron? I think many of us are in the same place. We all need more information. What does your Hematologist say at this point? Mine said come see me if you ever eat ice again. They don't really help with the main problem. All of my doctors think that I am fine with my iron numbers and my ferritin is 41. They make me feel like I am crazy thinking about the ferritin numbers. I still have fatigue after working hard. Do you have any symptoms. Your saturation looks great. Mine is 32 and I'm considering going back to 2 iron daily with or without their approval because I know that is necessary. That way they will have to check the ferritin for me. Do you know how fast your ferritin drops with a high sat and 60 ferritin if it only goes down slowly I wouldn't worry so much until you see the Hematologist or you can move the appointment up a month. My ferritin is staying about the same so I worry about raising it more than going down. Sorry I wasn't much help, I think many of us have reached the same point and we all need answers. Where are all the people that have been here before and already have answers, we could learn from them. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 06-26-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
    mbbasketball
    (female)

mbbasketball HB User

Thanks Flowergirl for your response. I won't see the hematologist for a few months. I too wonder where all the people have gone. I will think positive and hope they all are better and have moved on.

The only symptoms I have been getting is increased tiredness, hair falling out more and cold. My TSH is 1.9 with meds so I was told that is normal, no need to increase meds.

I have read that hypothyroid can cause issues with ferritin along with other things, ie increase LDL.

Thanks again

Old 06-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

mbbasketball--Yes, I have also read about that too, my Endo never has much to share with me on the subject. Do you also have Hashi's? MANY of us do have this in common so that leads me to believe that there is definitely a link. Have you seen the Matrix of Symptoms, adrenal fatigue verses hypo-T? There is a lot of information and symptoms that we can relate to. My TSH is 4.40 and when they raise my meds, I go hyper so they don't want to make anymore adjustments at this time. Have you discussed the thyroid being the cause with your Endo yet or your Hematologist? My cholesterol levels were one of my first symptoms that were discover on a blood test, I was complaining that I thought I was anemic. I wasn't anemic at all 3 yrs ago although my Hgb was only at 13 it was Hashi's. After beginning synthroid my numbers went down 33 points. We will have to continue this quest. I am very discouraged at this point because the doctors no longer want to do anything about anything. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread