It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• Question about low TIBC

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
    hfm123
    (female)

hfm123 HB User
    Question about low TIBC

I figured I'd ask this here since you all know so much about iron. I was slightly anemic about 5 months ago. When my iron panel was run, everything was normal except my TIBC and UIBC were low. TIBC was 167 (250-450).

My anemia resolved. Recently I had some blood drawn because I have been very tired and have no libido. My iron panel again came back fine except for TIBC.

Iron total 88 (40-175)
    Ferritin 52 (10-232)
    TIBC 213 (250-450)

My CBC was all within range at the lower end but in range. So my question is, what causes a low TIBC?

Thanks,

Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: Question about low TIBC

Heather--I don't know because in the face of IDA the UIBC and TIBC go very high. Did they diagnose you with IDA? Did your doctor have anything comments on that, I am curious now. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 06-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
    hfm123
    (female)

hfm123 HB User

My doctor didn't have anything to say about it. Actually, neither of my doctor's did. The first time it was low, my PCP didn't mention it and this time my endo didn't mention it.

I wasn't diagnosed with IDA when I was mildly anemic. My doctor told me to take iron when my first CBC showed anemia. When the follow up tests showed a ferritin of 57 and other iron studies within range but a low TIBC, I found out after getting copies of my labs.

This latest time I saw a new endo to see if my fatigue, dry skin, non existent libido, etc was related to a hormonal imbalance. My previous endo didn't want to talk about hormonal testing and since my TSH is very low didn't want to increase my thyroid meds either.

This new endo ran some tests including CBC, Iron, Estrogen, Testosterone, Total Cortisol, and others. He said my Estrogen was a little low though I am questioning that now.

I was just wondering what causes a low TIBC in the face of normal CBC and Iron studies. Is this something that I should investigate?

Thanks,
    Heather

PS--I agree with other posters that you should see a new doctor about your TSH of over 4.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Heather--I would at ask one of your doctors to explain that to you. Sounds like you now have a good Endo at least he is listening and doing testing. I agree that I am under medicated. I just hate to change doctors again it is very stressful for me. I developed a bad case of white coat syndrome since my anemia diagnosis. Maybe it was the ten doctors that I saw because of my symptoms? So I have to prepare myself to go back at it again. But I completely agree with you. Perhaps someone here can chime in about the low TIBC. Do you know what your saturation is? Post your complete iron stats, that is helpful for other posters to give an opinion. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
    hfm123
    (female)

hfm123 HB User

I will ask my doctor next opportunity. I was just curious about it.

I totally understand about changing doctors. It is hard enough sometimes making the appointment for the one I have! Good luck with your anemia and thyroid--

Heather

Closed Thread