It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• athlete/blood loss/returning to the gym

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
    leftymom
    (female)

leftymom HB User
    Question athlete/blood loss/returning to the gym

How does an athlete treat losing 4 to 5 pints of blood post tonsillectomy?
    Does he slowly work his way back in to his exercise routine? Can he actually pass out from fatigue? He is eating all the correct foods and juices. We just don't want to push him back to the gym if it can actually make his condition worse. His Hemoglobin was 16, post surgery it was 11. thank you. He is now 10 days post op.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: athlete/blood loss/returning to the gym

leftymom--I really do hate to say this, especially for an athlete, IMO it is WAYYYYYYYYYY to soon to go back to a gym type of routine. A male Hgb to be optimal is 16 that's where he was, now he is 11 post op. with 14-18 being within a normal range for a male. Anything well below this normal range is too hard on the heart and many other organs. The red blood cells have to rebuild and the body has to make new ones, this is about every 4 months. Pushing is not what he wants to do and could be a very dangerous thing. Ask his PCP when he should return to an exercise routine. What had his doctor prescribed for iron replacement therapy? FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
    leftymom
    (female)

leftymom HB User

since he is on liquid codeine, which already causes constipation, he is only using food and juices to bring his levels back. His PCP said because he was previously healthy that he could possibly bring his levels back up within one month. I have a feeling he is just saying what he thinks we want to hear. He will have a cbc in a month to see how his blood is reacting to cream of wheat, broccoli, grape juice, etc. Anyone know of any other health foods that increase hgb, besides LIVER! ha!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

leftymom--Yes, the body does indeed have a way of self healing. The Hgb should respond within 30-45 days to correct anemia. This takes I would say on the average 2 months. It took me 2 months to go from 8.5 Hgb to 12.9. on Ferris Sulfate 3X daily and a combination of iron rich diet. Of course I had a blood loss that has to be figured in. I ate like a scientist which is not necessary, but it helps.

The thing to know is that there are 2 forms of iron, one which is derived from animals (Heme iron) and the other is from plants (Non-Heme iron). Heme is far more effectively absorbable.

Next, some foods can inhibit the absorption such as phytates in fiber, tannins in tea and coffee, calcium also impairs and others can increase the absorption as in Vit-C.

When combining certain foods you can increase absorption i.e., a salad with tuna, tomatoes, garbonzo beans and sunflowerseeds. So you have heme iron and non-heme forms with an enhancer.

I also snacked on things like sunflowerseeds, cashews, almonds, dried apricots. And....when cooking I added wheatgerm to many things. Iron is also in cinnamon which can be added to oatmeal with raisins or black strap molasses= IRON RICH.

Non-Heme--beans, lentils, pumpkin seeds, canned beans, baked potato with skins, enriched pasta and canned asparagus.

Heme--Clams, Oysters, beef, shrimp, turkey, tuna and salmon.

There are many food lists out there if you do a search. I kept a list next to the frig and it helped me a lot remembering what to eat. Good luck to you both. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
    leftymom
    (female)

leftymom HB User

so we had him tested yesterday.....went from 11.4 post op day 18 days ago..to 10.6 yesterday, even though he feels healthier and not as fatigued...very discouraging blood result..... hopefully this is due to the hot weather and being dehydrated. We weill test again in 14 days, and hope and pray for a better result. He leaves soon for College, and they are hoping to have a healthy athlete ready for daily work out sessions to prepare for the upcoming season. any suggestions for a 3 week daily routine to increase his blood levels...thanks everyone....

Old 07-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

Gosh, leftymom, I wish I had better news. Three weeks in my opinion is just not going to make a lot of difference. What has his eating and supplementing regimen been since the surgery? Maybe we can start there.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
    leftymom
    (female)

leftymom HB User

He is ben eating cream of wheat regularly, broccoli, grape juice, iron pills, (not regular on the iron pills due to constipation already from the liquid codeine) but today, he has agreed to daily iron, so, hopefully, a better test in 2 weeks....and went to the gym twice today for a lite workout, then rested in the pool... and feels fine, not weak or lightheaded, so we are all happy about this.....

Old 07-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #8
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

Those foods are all really good. In addition, it's extremely important that he find an iron supplement that he can take every day. You might go to the health food store and get a "chelated" (pronounced "kee-lated") form of iron like the one I am taking and take NO MORE than the daily 27mg recommended on the bottle. I read a study that it's so well tolerated in the tummy, it's given to Third World children who are suffering from anemia due to malnutrition and has little or no effect from phytates so your son can basically eat whatever he wants although I still take mine with orange juice (both the pill and the orange have to be in the gut at the same time and it should be taken with a meal). I have never been constipated on it. My numbers are coming up nicely.

Even still, and not to kid you, it is going to take some time. It takes several weeks to manufacture new blood in cases of blood donation so your son's situation is the exact same (only it wasn't "donated"). Iron replenishment can take even longer. I didn't really have any appreciable increase in my numbers until 3 or 4 months on oral iron therapy and I am still raising my numbers.

Good luck! I'm not a medical person, so I am only able to tell you what I know from experience and what my doctors have told me.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
    leftymom
    (female)

leftymom HB User

thank you, I will look for that iron supplement. I feel cheated as far as what I have heard from the doctor. Did you get that Iron at a drug store or online? He will have to just work through the fatigue and hope he is ready for baseball in January! Nothing we can do to change what has happened. Just have to work through it now.

I found the iron and GNC. I will purchase it tomorrow, thanks for the insight!!! I appreciate any help at all

Last edited by leftymom; 07-12-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #10
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

You can get the chelated iron online or at a health food store or a GNC type store. A drug store won't have it. Generally, the stuff at the drug store is the first line of supplements that the doctor sends you to. And many of them there are ferrous sulfate which is the constipating, heart-burn giving kind or ferrous fumarate which did the same to me, although many people take either type with no stomach upset. The chelated kind is ferrous bis-glycine. That's the ingredient you will be looking for. I take a chewable kind, and it sounds nasty, "chewable iron", but it tastes like grape and it tastes pretty good.

If you do an internet search on "chewable iron" you will find the exact one that I am taking.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
    leftymom
    (female)

leftymom HB User

thank you so much. I see you are from Portland, if I could contact you without the publicity, I'd tell you where my son will be moving to in August..ha! Let's hope this iron you have recommended works...from a simple tonsillectomy to this...who would have thought!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:15 AM   #12
    leftymom
    (female)

leftymom HB User

doctor appt today, we will repeat the blood test in 2 weeks. He said it will take 2 to 3 months to increase his hgb. The gym gets easier each day. The doctor didn't seem concerned about his hgb being at 10.4 so we won't worry about it too much. His blood pressure was 150/80 in the hospital, and again today, so we will keep an eye on this as well.
    thanks everyone.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #13
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

leftymom--When I had anemia my BP also went up too high. They even put me on BP meds. temporarily. I think this no big deal and will resolve when the anemia is corrected. Glad he is doing well with the gym. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #14
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

Hi leftymom,

Your son has youth on his side. He should bounce back pretty well from this.

Oregonians are very proud of our college athletic prgrams. I'm sure wherever he is going, he'll do well and love the experience. Coming from California myself, I was surprised how important they are here. You will love visiting up here. I left 3 years ago and never looked back.

Closed Thread