It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• new here with low counts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
    uniondiva
    (female)

uniondiva HB User
    new here with low counts

I just got off the phone with the nurse at my PCP. My blood count is low (6.00) and my other count ( I don't remember which ) is at 2.5. She says my b12 is within normal which is 225 but I feel like crap. I have asked for a referral to a hematologist because last week when i went to see him he suggested I take a multi , after I explained i was tranfused last summer and have had gastric bypass which makes me high risk. I also told him I fainted last week.... OMG, I have an appointment on Friday.

I cannot even walk upstairs at this point without being exhausted. I have the tongue sensitivity and other symptoms...

Please help me know what to do when I see him Friday and how to get an immediate appt with Hemo before I fall out somewhere..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
    littlebird62
    (female)

littlebird62 HB User
    Re: new here with low counts

Wow. I thought I had it rough. I hope they help you FAST!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uniondiva View Post
    I just got off the phone with the nurse at my PCP. My blood count is low (6.00) and my other count ( I don't remember which ) is at 2.5.

She says my b12 is within normal which is 225 but I feel like crap. I have asked for a referral to a hematologist because last week when i went to see him he suggested I take a multi , after I explained i was tranfused last summer and have had gastric bypass which makes me high risk. I also told him I fainted last week.... OMG, I have an appointment on Friday.

I cannot even walk upstairs at this point without being exhausted. I have the tongue sensitivity and other symptoms...

Please help me know what to do when I see him Friday and how to get an immediate appt with Hemo before I fall out somewhere..
    uniondiva--Welcome to the board! Humm..........where do we begin. Your a little more complicated because you are a GB patient and that ='s malabsorption. You said that you were transfused last yr., I suppose that you mean blood transfusion?? People say trans-- instead of Iron Infusion regarding IV iron so I wasn't sure. Your blood count of 6 which I think you mean Hgb is extremely low and my doctor said that he would blood transfuse me under 7.0. I think that your Ferritin, iron stores is 2.5. Does your PCP think that it is fine to wait until you see the Hematologist? I would at least call the new Hematologist and ask if it is okay to wait, and tell them your counts and SYMPTOMS, if they don't know that already. Not to scare you but it can be dangerous to be walking around so low. I also hate to say it but your doctor has no clue if he is telling you to take a multivitamin in your situation. Perhaps your not absorbing iron supplements at all? There can also be more than one reason for anemia and that too should be ruled out by the Hematologist. Usually GB patients are the ones that do receive IV iron. My sister has had this SX also and she takes an oral iron Foltrin, but it also has Vit C, IF and B-12 in it along with the iron. Speaking of B-12, do you always take or give your own shots monthly, I ask because your B-12 is low and you should already have been on this therapy since post op. Although your B-12 is in normal range it is not really so optimal. I would say that 400 and up would be just okay. Most people are 600-800 and up. This is why your tongue hurts along with other symptoms, I'm sure. At this point I don't know if I'm babbling or helping. First I would call the Hematologist. When my husband called for me, they understand these things and they got me in the next day and I was an 8.5 Hgb and 2 ferritin. Second, the Hematologist will know what to do in your case, they are extremely experienced in this. Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #4
    uniondiva
    (female)

uniondiva HB User

okay, pcp doc called me tonite, way after hours and wants me to have blood transfusion tomorrow 2 units. My iron is the 2.5 number and he agrees to a hemo consult. he was concerned because I was scheduled to travel for work and he wanted me to know how serious it was... so i am feeling a little better. he agreed that the b12 numbers could also be an issue. so I am feeling a little better... although not good about the transfusion

Old 07-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

uniondiva--That is great news!! I knew it, but didn't want to say it, I'm just glad that you are getting what you need. You will feel so much better and not be at risk. It will take time to get the blood in, so hang in there and keep us posted. We are quite fortunate that we have these things to help us when necessary. I was very concerned that your PCP didn't move faster than he did. If that is your serum iron 2.5, then your sat% must be 0 along with the ferritin, that means you have no iron so start planning on IV infusion iron. Now you can start thinking of questions about IV and what types of iron that are offered and covered by your insurance. This is what I learned when they set me up to get IV but didn't end up with it in the end. Tomorrow will be a new day, good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
    uniondiva
    (female)

uniondiva HB User

okay today i had two units of blood...it took them about 8 hours total. 1.5 to type and cross, then about six for the transfusion. the doc came to see me in the infusion center to check on me. i did get chills and my bp went up . i was told to rest for the next 24 hours but no other restrictions. i go to pcp on friday for new bloodwork and hemo referral.

i am still tired, but can tell the difference.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

uniondiva--Good for you! Glad it went well for you and that you can feel a difference. The more time goes by you will probably feel even better, I hope. keep us posted on your results. REST! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
    uniondiva
    (female)

uniondiva HB User
    Thumbs up Re: new here with low counts

okay, i got my first b12 shot yesterday with another in two weeks. i see the hemo monday..so things are looking up. pcp wants me to have gi series as a precaution. feel better,but still get that crash fatigue... i guess it will take time.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

uniondiva--I am so happy things are looking up for you. Yes, it will take time, sometimes a long time. Glad they are taking care of you and it sounds like your PCP is doing the right thing recommending further testing. Keep us posted on your Hematologist visit on Monday. Good luck to you. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
    My blood count is low (6.00) and my other count ( I don't remember which ) is at 2.5. She says my b12 is within normal which is 225
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I have a question to ask regarding your numbers. What part of your blood count was 6.00? Do the numbers posted refer to the WCB and RBC count? As for the ferritin levels - how does 6.0 rate in terms of iron levels? I am just trying to determine how low my iron really is and what it means. My cobalamin (B12) has remained normal.

Quote:
    I know the feeling! WHAT other symptoms do you have? Do you have a heart condition?

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any information about anemia from you guys. Unfortunately, I know nothing about this condition. I have been feeling very tired. Now I know why. As soon as I can, I'll read through some of the posts here.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 07-13-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #11
    uniondiva
    (female)

uniondiva HB User

my hgb was actually lower it was 5.5 which is why i had the tranfusion. I believe the other number was my ferritin or iron.... i don't have the labs ( in the car) due to hemo visit tomorrow.

My symptoms including fainting, diizziness, fatigue, brain fog, tongue sensivity. rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, leg cramps, cold hands and feet, chewing ice like crazy!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #12
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow!

Your symptoms sound scary because they are too familiar! My entire mouth is sensitive - sometimes EVERYTHING in there hurts. Even the teeth seem to hurt. This happens seemingly for no good reason - e.g. when I am not eating or drinking anything. It comes and goes and lasts ten minutes or so. I am on various meds so have been thinking of this sensitivity as one of their many side effects.

flowergirl

Old 07-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
    uniondiva
    (female)

uniondiva HB User

my hgb is now 8.3 but still low according to the hemo. the pcp did not check for ferritin so hemo ordered one today but wants to start iv iron this week.... weekly for eight weeks. he is concerned about my heavy periods and suggested i follow up with gyne to figure out what i want to do. between this and b12 he thinks i should be okay......wants me to have scopes upper and lower to be safe....

Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

uniondiva, your doctors sound like they are very good. They are doing all the right things. Many of us here had to go through those same tests. In my case, I could have told them it was due to my bad periods, but thet insisted on doing all the tests and I am glad because I feel very confident now in my treatment.

Depending on your age and where you are peri-menopausally speaking, the gyne will probably want to do even more tests to determine if the heavy periods are just hormonally caused or if you have fibroids, polyps, endometriosis. If they want to do those tests, you should do them. They may suggest hormones to control the periods IF those tests all come out normal. I just would not take anything without having those tests first. There are also procedures to help heavy periods which your doctor may discuss with you, but that's down the road.

Keep in touch.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #15
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

uniondiva--A Hgb of 8.3 is still very, very, low. I was DX'ed at 8.5 and It was the worst. In the next couple of months you will regain strength and begin to feel better. Sounds like you have a good doctor caring for you doing the right things. Keep us posted and feel better soon. FLFLOWERGIRL

Closed Thread