It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• iron infusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
    lisa984
    (female)

lisa984 HB User
    iron infusion

I had an iron transfusion today (my third this month) and while I was fine after the others, I'm in a lot of pain today. My bones, calves, even the tops of my feet hurt. Is this something I should alert my doctor about or ride it out?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
    Kiwilily
    (female)

Kiwilily HB User
    Re: iron infusion

Hi,

I have had this with every single IV iron infusion and I have had too many to count over the last 4 years. My bones, skin, and muscles hurt like crazy. It is a listed side effect for IV iron. I just plain feel like I have the flu. Take a pain reliever such as Tylenol or Advil. Rest and drink lots of fluids. I find hot packs work well too. The pain usually goes away in 24-48 hours. I have never called my hematologist but I will leave that decision up to you. Hope you feel better soon.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
    japlopper
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

japlopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB Userjaplopper HB User

Lisa,
    Call your dr. They need to know about this. Even if it is a side effect, it should be noted in your chart. It might mean they need to make adjustments for your next infusion.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

I agree with japlopper. You should make your doctor aware of the S/E that it has on you so that they know what S/E's are associated with the particular type of infusion they are giving to people. Too many S/E's and they may use a better type in the future. They won't know if people don't report it. Also, I have read where many people do not react until the 3rd or 5th and that needs to be noted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
    Kiwilily
    (female)

Kiwilily HB User

I should clarify my response about calling your doctor. I never called my doctor at home but he was aware that I was having this pain along with flu like symptoms. I discussed it with him at the bedside, in the infusion center, and at my clinic visits with him. I begin to get these pains early during my infusions so everyone was aware of them (RN's, NNP, and MD's). My hematologist said that they were nothing to worry about and that they are very common. They were reported as a side effect by 26-32% of patients during testing of the particular IV iron prep that I was using. I have had them with all three of the different IV iron preps available. Every doctor is different so you have a better idea if he/she would want a call but it won't hurt to call and have them make a note of it.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Kiwilily--Thanks for that clarification. Do you get scared with the infusions? I am scared, I already have enough pains throughout my body for whatever reason and I couldn't imagine what my reaction would be. I do fear that one day I will stop absorbing iron and this will be my last resort. I know that my Hematologist said there are different types to try and that he uses one that hs little S/E's. I thank goodness didn't have it in the end. I was so ill back then I think it might have done me in and I'm serious about that. I think this is why the doc changed his mind after he saw me because I was absorbing iron very, very slowly. Tell me something to make me feel better about IV, please! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
    Kiwilily
    (female)

Kiwilily HB User

Yes, Flowergirl. I get scared with each and every infusion. I can never get any sleep the night before and I stress as I count off the days till the next infusion. I guess the good thing about the infusions are that they work at repleting your iron whether you can absorb iron or not. In most people, the results last longer than they do in my case.

I guess I would be dead if it were not for the IV iron and the blood transfusions I received. Not a happy thought. I think the scariest thing for me is that I am using the last available type of IV iron and if I react to this one, there is no other alternative except blood transfusions. Many people receive IV iron with no problems. I am apparently an exception to the rule. Although, there seems to many others on this board that have had problems with reactions too. If you ever have to do it, it is worth trying as long as you are receiving it in a safe setting that can treat a reaction quickly.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User

flowergirl my iron ivs of surcose were good i didnt have any reaction to them so there are good stories kiwi must be really sensitive to the iron some people are but not everyone i was also scared to death i was looking for reactions before they even started the iv lol

Last edited by neffie663; 07-09-2008 at 06:09 AM.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User

flowergirl
    iron sucrose takes 2 hrs for 200mg where i go i have heard it can be done faster but more side effect can happen i hade no problem besides the nurse with no gloves!

Old 07-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
    Kiwilily
    (female)

Kiwilily HB User

Hi Flowergirl,

I have been on all three types of IV iron currently available. I am using the iron sucrose currently. I have had all types of reactions. With iron dextran, I had anaphylaxis. With the ferrous gluconate, I had chest pain, chest pressure, hypotension, hives, rash, hypertension, tachycardia, fever, muscle aches, flu-like symptoms,etc. I was hospitalized several times for these reactions.

I am getting the iron sucrose but very slowly and with lots of pre-meds. I am still reacting but we are continuing. I am going in today to have all my blood work drawn to see how I am doing and if I will need more infusions for this course. I hope my counts are really good and that I won't need any further tx. over the summer.

All the best.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
    ChickieLou
    (female)

ChickieLou HB User

Good luck Kiwi. Let us know how you are doing when you get your numbers!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
    Kiwilily
    (female)

Kiwilily HB User

Thanks for the good wishes. I just received my CBC results. The other tests are still pending. I will post them in a new thread so that I don't hijack Lisa's thread.

Kiwilily

Old 07-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
    neffie663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neffie663 HB User

flowergirl
    when i said something to her she got an attitude then she put the gloves on and her finger poked through them i made her change them again. when she was taking the iv out she put gloves on so i said oh i see you have gloves then she replied she didnt need them her hands are sterile i was so mad by the time i left thank god it was the last iv

Closed Thread