It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

• CBC Results after IV Iron

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
    Kiwilily
    (female)

Kiwilily HB User
    CBC Results after IV Iron

My PCP just called me with my CBC results. All my other tests are still pending. He hopes to have the results for me later this evening or by tomorrow. I hope my hematologist will not want to do any more IV for the time being. He is out of the office until next week so I won't know until then. It will really depend on what my ferritin level is. He wanted it 75-100 and it was at 2.

Here is the CBC:
    RBC:4.5
    Hgb: 10.1
    Hct: 32.0
    MCV:74
    MCH: 23.6
    RDW: 29.7 (Really high! Has anyone had one this high?)

The good new is my Hgb has gone from 8.2 up to 10.1. I think that the really high RDW could mean that I am still making new cells and the IV iron will improve my counts over the next couple of weeks. I have never had a RDW this high before. Now, I really want to know what my ferritin level is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
    Re: CBC Results after IV Iron

Kiwilily--The highest that my RDW ever got was 19.2. It must be the IV iron and rebuilding cells. When I had a Hgb around 10'ish my Ferritin was at a 6. I don't know how the IV iron works in that regard. I hope that yours is higher and that you can take an iron break for a while. Wanting a ferritin of 75-100 makes me feel like it is a lifetime away taking oral supplements. My ferritin didn't store until I stopped the blood loss, took 2 iron daily and was at the non anemic stage of 12.9. It took all 3 things (and a yr) before I could build the ferritin at all. So, in your case will you have a greater number in storage and then the Hgb climbs later? Will you be able to take oral supplements after the IV gives you a boost? Your Hgb looks really good from where you were. I hope that you are feeling better. Congrats you are mildly anemic, sounds better already doesn't it? Keep us posted. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
    Kiwilily
    (female)

Kiwilily HB User

I finally received the results for the rest of my tests. I am quite pleased actually.

Ferritin: 43
    Iron: 35
    Iron Binding: 368
    Iron Saturation 15

I did not think my ferritin was going to climb this high. Hopefully it will last me a little while and now I have to wait to hear from my hematologist.

Flowergirl: Thanks for your response and good wishes. I can not take oral iron because I do not absorb it. I have malabsorption issues, or so they say. I took it for more than a year and my counts went down. Got to run at the moment but I will post more later.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Kiwilily--Congrats on your ferritin and labs! You are looking good. What type of malabsorption do they say you have? FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
    tooyoungtobeill
    (female)

tooyoungtobeill HB User

The high RDW is a typical response to iron infusions

Old 07-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
    Kiwilily
    (female)

Kiwilily HB User

Thanks Flflowergirl for you kind reply. My GI docs have identified several areas of malabsorption including my small intestine (could be from celiac) and pancreatic insufficiency.

Tooyoungtobeill: Thanks for the post. I agree that is from the IV iron and my RDW has been high after every treatment but just never this high. I get blood work drawn again next week so I will see where it is sitting.

Have a good day.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
    FLFLOWERGIRL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kiwilily--I would be interested to know what your doctor has to say about pancreatic insufficiency. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 07-21-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
    Kiwilily
    (female)

Kiwilily HB User

Hi FLFLOWERGIRL: My GI docs are trying to figure out what is causing my pancreatic insufficiency. I was started on pancreatic enzymes several months ago and they are still trying to fine tune the dosage. I will let you know when know more. Do you have any questions in particular?

The bad news is that my hematologist wants me to have 4 more doses of Venofer. They were not so happy with my results. They want my HgB over 11.5 and the Ferritin at 65 or greater. I am going in today for the first of the four and I am not so happy about it. I was going away in early August but now I can't go. Maybe I will be able to get away at the end of August.

Have a great day.

Closed Thread